UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Dec 2014, 11:31 pm   #41
Zelandeth
Heptode

Default Re: Colossus - Valves

I don't actually have any valves to offer, but am only ten minutes up the road from Bletchley Park. If anyone is more comfortable sending things to an individual rather than a corporate address and would like to see their donation hand delivered to the team there, I'm happy to provide that last step of the journey free of charge. A receipt would be obtained and forwarded to the donor so they knew it had got there.

Just thought I would throw that out there in case it seemed useful for anyone. Happy to make trips out within a 50 odd mile radius and collect too for the same purpose. All I'd ask there would probably be a cup of coffee and a natter for a while.

Just drop me a PM if that would be useful for anyone.
Old 5th Dec 2014, 11:56 pm   #42
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis your junk View Post
Here is an idea... I would be more than happy to fill my car with any valves/gear people may be be willing to donate... [I] intend to be at... the NVCF – which should give you time to get stuff sorted. So any takers?
Yes please, TYJ, thanks for the offer of transport. I always attend the NVCF so I'll pack my spare 807s and bring them along next May.

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 13th Dec 2014, 11:20 pm   #43
peter.sables
Rest in Peace

HI

I also sent a large box of deckatrons and GPO rotary switches. I got no reply. That's not good. I've got a pear of matched 807. I'll pop them in the post.

Pete G4MRU
Old 13th Dec 2014, 11:41 pm   #44
BobGreen
Retired Dormant Member

They really need to thank those who contribute legacy bits to keep to all going. So little to ask even though we all benefit. The "general" public visitors have little idea of what is contributed and also imagine that Alan Turing ran the whole decryption show. Tommy Flowers - Who? the three Polish pioneers and so on ....
Old 14th Dec 2014, 2:07 pm   #45
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter.sables View Post
I [also] got no reply.
Is this something they have started to fall down on recently; that is, since Tony Sale passed away?
Old 14th Dec 2014, 8:54 pm   #46
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Gents, I volunteer for a couple of museums in the NE of England and often obtain items for donation.
The museum people then badger me to give them names and addresses so that an official letter of thanks can be sent out, definitely the way it should be done.

Ed
Old 14th Dec 2014, 11:22 pm   #47
peter.sables
Rest in Peace

HI.

Its not the valves or switches that's really the problem but the postage. It was a big box and it cost a packet. Water under the bridge now. I will hang on to after Christmas though. What I do want is that "lump" up and running again.

pete G4MRU
Old 17th Dec 2014, 12:15 am   #48
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Colossus is being featured in a BBC2 News Night item re Quantum Computing just now! Seems to be based on extracting surplus atoms but don't quote me on this! They are comparing this experimental hardware rig with the original Colossus build. In a parallel Universe-why not? It's interesting that the historic machine is as generally unknown as the future projections now being made from it!
Dave W

Last edited by dave walsh; 17th Dec 2014 at 12:27 am.
Old 8th May 2015, 8:04 pm   #49
tis your junk
Pentode

Hello All

No matter how well you plan - things change!

I am now no longer going to the NVCF for the simple reason that I now have an engagement at BP that day.

However other BVWS members have "volunteered" to help out, so if you leave your donations, marked for me, with Geoffrey at the bring and buy stand they will get to me.

Thank you all for your donations and my thanks to the "volunteers"

Nick