UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Aug 2013, 7:41 pm   #1
FrenchToaster
Retired Dormant Member

Default Toaster

I bought an old toaster in france which is the type that has a drop down door and toasts one side of bread at a time. The toaster has no make on it but has a drawing on how it should be wired for 120 or 240 volts. However when I wire it up the 240 volt way only 2 of the 4 heating slabs work, but when wired up the 120 volt way they all work. It then toasts one side of my bread in about 15 seconds.
The toaster has no earth cable by the way and gets very hot so is not double walled or whatever it is called, and is 600w.
What I want to know is am I

A. Putting my life in peril by using it.

B. Putting the life of the toaster in peril. :mad:

C.Likely to burn down the house.

Why will it not work when I wire it for 240 volts ? Is it because the French system is different from the British system.

Please help as my husband is seriously despairing and may chuck both me and the toaster out soon.
Old 9th Aug 2013, 8:10 pm   #2
Station X

Default Re: Toaster

I'm sure another forum member will answer your questions.

In the meantime stop using the toaster or you will destroy it.

It would help if you could post a picture of the wiring diagram and a picture of how you've actually wired the toaster.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 10th Aug 2013, 1:21 am   #3
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Exclamation Re: Toaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchToaster View Post
The toaster has no earth cable by the way
If - and this is a big "if" - by that remark, you mean that there are only TWO wires in the mains lead that are connected to the mains plug, then I strongly suggest that you stop using it immediately and get it examined by a qualified and accredited electrician, because it sounds as though it is very dangerous to use - and could kill you or someone else.

Al. / Aug. 10, 2013
Old 10th Aug 2013, 7:22 am   #4
julie_m
Dekatron

It sounds as though there are 2 sets of heating elements which are wired in series for 240 V operation, or parallel for 120 V. If you can get them all to work on the 120 V setting, that means there are no breaks in the wire; but that way, you are actually giving them four times the power they are expecting (twice the voltage, times twice the current is four times the power) and this will cause damage in short order.

You will need to post some pictures of the terminals and the wiring instructions. In the meantime, as others have said, stop using it.

Do you have, or can you borrow, a multimeter?
Old 10th Aug 2013, 9:32 am   #5
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Another important health consideration (if you don't already know) is that the heater elements could be wrapped around asbestos! If you're unsure, post some pictures.

David
Closed Thread