UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Jul 2013, 11:24 am   #1
LRS0001
Retired Dormant Member

Default Help in identifying Smiths Sectric clock movement

Hi All

Usually in the phone and radio groups, but today I have a question regards a Smiths clock movement which I am having trouble identifying. (see pics)

Had a good look through ‘Barrie's virtual Clock Museum’, which is a fantastic resource of information, but was unable to place this movement. Looks like a R 47 is scratched on the movement cover which could denote its year 1947.

Does anyone here recognise this? If yes, has anyone rewound one of these to a lower/safer A/C voltage?

Many thanks in advance.

LRS
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Smiths 1.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	82296   Click image for larger version

Name:	Smiths 2.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	82297   Click image for larger version

Name:	Smiths 3.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	82298   Click image for larger version

Name:	Smiths 5.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	82299   Click image for larger version

Name:	Smiths 4.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	82300  

Old 26th Jul 2013, 11:28 am   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Help in identifying Smiths Sectric clock movement

Yes, that's the "Bijou" movement, introduced just pre-war.

Nice, stylish clock.

If the coil is intact, just use it as it is. Use a 1A fuse in the plug and ensure it's in an RCD protected socket, and all will be well.

Nick
Old 26th Jul 2013, 3:10 pm   #3
LRS0001
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
Yes, that's the "Bijou" movement, introduced just pre-war.

Nice, stylish clock.

If the coil is intact, just use it as it is. Use a 1A fuse in the plug and ensure it's in an RCD protected socket, and all will be well.

Nick
Many thanks Nick

I’m usually into the old industrial/public clocks – Smiths English Clock Systems, Brillie, etc…, but saw this and thought I’ve not seen a Smiths like this before; especially with the Skyscraper hands.

I will follow your suggestion as I want to retain the original movement, but don’t what to get zapped with 240v due to old wiring, although the movement does look very clean with no obvious signs of age related deterioration to the dangerous bits.

LRS
Old 26th Jul 2013, 8:07 pm   #4
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Oh yes, DO keep the original movement, whatever you do!

As the flex is obviously new(ish) and the case plastic, the risk of shock is low so long as you keep the cover on.

The hand set looks like it has its original, insulating knob.

However, the rear cover screw looks non-original, as they used to have a plastic, knurled head to them, again, to reduce the risk of shock. It might be worth covering yours with a neat circle of insulating tape to afford some protection.

Some more Bijou info here: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=84115

Nick.
Old 27th Jul 2013, 8:59 am   #5
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Worth mentioning that I always fit a 3-core mains lead to any synchronous clock, but it's up to you.
There's not much distance between the stator coil and the surrounding metalwork!
Old 27th Jul 2013, 7:18 pm   #6
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

I do too, usually, Mike, but this one is virtually double-insulated by virtue of its Bakelite case, insulated hand set knob, and (missing) insulated cover-retaining screw.

It's a real squeeze to attach an earth wire but it can be done, esp. if you use 0.5mm2 "3 Amp" flex.

N.
Closed Thread