UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Jun 2015, 7:46 am   #1
ricard
Octode

Default (Probably) trivial valve puzzle

Someone gave me a valve today asking what type it was. It's a GT form factor with octal base, with a top cap (connected to the anode by looks of things). It looks like an audio beam power tetrode. From what I can make out of the base connections, they are identical to the 6L6 except that the plate connection (pin 3) is on the top cap, and pin 3 is instead paralleled to pin 8 (cathode and beam plates).

I've read that early 6L6's had a top cap but I've been able to locate the resulting pinout.

Any spontaneious suggestions as to what it might be?
Old 3rd Jun 2015, 8:59 am   #2
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Default Re: (Probably) trivial valve puzzle

Could be a 6DQ6/A/B but the 6DQ6 has pin 3 NC. Could it be a 6146?

There are a few beam tetrodes like you mentioned originally designed for TV's but used in a few guitar amps like the Goldentone.

Andy.
Old 3rd Jun 2015, 9:11 am   #3
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Could it be a 2E26? http://www.r-type.org/exhib/aaa0830.htm
Old 3rd Jun 2015, 11:01 am   #4
turretslug
Dekatron

The PL36/EL360 family are described as having pin 3 internal connection- possibly to cathode?
Old 3rd Jun 2015, 11:48 am   #5
ricard
Octode

Thanks for the suggestions!

Apparantly the valve was found loose on its own when cleaning out a house, so my guess it would come from a radio, TV or possibly guitar amp. A PL36 sounds reasonable in that context.

I thought all the markings were wiped off, but there is small

X0D

near the base which sounds like some sort of lot/date code. I don't know if that gives any clue as to the manufacturer for someone.
Old 3rd Jun 2015, 12:52 pm   #6
Herald1360
Dekatron

43 is consistent with PL36 and X with Philips (Mullard)
.........O..Chris....O
Old 3rd Jun 2015, 12:56 pm   #7
GrimJosef
Dekatron

The code is almost certainly a Philips one and if that's the case the first two digits - 43 - identify the valve as a PL36.

Cheers,

GJ
Old 3rd Jun 2015, 7:34 pm   #8
ricard
Octode

Thanks! I had no idea that code could actually be that useful. I was just assuming it was a date and lot code of some sort. Is there more information on the net to be found on that type of marking?

From what I can tell the PL36 it seems was most likely to have been found in television receivers in the late 50's as a line output stage?
Old 3rd Jun 2015, 7:39 pm   #9
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

I've asked before, but have not been able to find out: since the 'house code' is etched indelibly on so many valves, why isn't the 'consumer' number marked in the same way?
Old 3rd Jun 2015, 9:41 pm   #10
Radio Wrangler

Also used in some Radar displays to drive radial deflection coils and for EHT generation.
Consumer numbers went on later when it was decided just what a valve was going to be sold as. The valve manufacturers often bought in each other's stuff, and then there were CV numbers. So the manufacturing code is the most dependable identification.

David
Old 4th Jun 2015, 8:54 am   #11
ricard
Octode

One would have thought though, that once it was decided what a valve 'was going to be sold as', given the scale of production, it would have been a small thing to add etched 'consumer' numbers, even if the initial run was just stamped. One technical reason I could imagine would be that etching a large consumer-readible ID would have weakened the glass, so it was only used for small 'in-house' number?

But it still begs the question: has anyone ever compiled a directory of manufacturer id's and where is that type of information to be found?
Old 4th Jun 2015, 9:11 am   #12
GrimJosef
Dekatron

Google is your friend . If I search for 'Philips valve codes' then Frank Philipse's scan of the original document http://frank.pocnet.net/other/Philip...CodeListAB.pdf is top of the first page. He has a clearer version on his website here http://frank.pocnet.net/other/Philip...ListAB-v10.pdf though.

The best list of Brimar codes that I know of is this one http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/g8hqp/audio/brimarcodes.html. Again it's the first return if I Google 'Brimar valve codes'.

Cheers,

GJ
Old 4th Jun 2015, 10:23 am   #13
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricard
One would have thought though, that once it was decided what a valve 'was going to be sold as', given the scale of production, it would have been a small thing to add etched 'consumer' numbers, even if the initial run was just stamped.
Etching takes longer than printing, and is probably more fussy about exact conditions etc. Etching is part of the manufacturing process; vital for quality control. Printing the label is really part of the packaging process.

If you are making thousands of EF91, you might not know at that stage whether they will be sold as Mullard EF91, Philips EF91, Valvo EF91, Mazda 6F12, Brimar 6AM6, Marconi Z77 etc.
Old 5th Jun 2015, 9:15 am   #14
ricard
Octode

Point well taken ... as well as the bit about google, I think I instinctively put this type of information in the category 'stuff that people only have in the form of printed matter' (i.e. old catalogs or books) without remembering that given enough interest such printed matter invariably makes it way into digital form.
Old 6th Jun 2015, 7:04 pm   #15
RF Burn
Hexode

Contrary to popular opinion, the so called 'house code' applied to valves made by Mullard/Philips etc. and Brimar was applied after production testing and used to identify the valves while in buffer storage. This 'code' is not etched but applied in ink which tends to be more durable (over the years we find!) than the silk screened final markings applied to the valves once they were removed from buffer store and prepared for shipment to the required customer. As valves were produced in large batches, or production runs, then buffered in store, the final markings would depend on the customer which may be another valve maker/brand such as Mazda, Brimar, Philips, Adzam...... and they may need to be marked 'Foreign Made' if supplied to a foreign brand..... as well as traditional marking for the UK retail/spares market. Hope this clears things up a bit.
Old 7th Jun 2015, 5:17 pm   #16
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

Some later codes (e.g. from factories like Ei or BEL) sometimes appear to be printed but earlier ones do look like they are etched. Are you saying that everyone has got this wrong?
Old 9th Jun 2015, 2:08 am   #17
Maarten
Dekatron

I don't think either I've ever encountered a Philips two line code that was actually etched, but that's of course no hard proof yet. I will make sure to pay extra attention whenever valves pass through my hands.

However you'd be amazed at the amount of information on the internet that is simply copied from someone else without fact checking, so don't be too surprised if once in a while everybody's got something wrong.
Old 9th Jun 2015, 8:11 am   #18
GrimJosef
Dekatron

I've certainly seen examples of the two-line code that have been partially rubbed away, and I have even managed (to my embarrassment) to rub them away myself occasionally. I think that many, at least, of these codes are inked on, not chemically etched (which would be hard to achieve at the high speeds needed for mass production).

Cheers,

GJ
Old 9th Jun 2015, 10:03 am   #19
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

OK. I have to bow to experimental data: if you can rub it off it isn't etched.

I once saw a claim on the internet that chocolate does not contain caffeine, and all the claims that it does are merely copies of an original false claim. Some claims may even be circular, so if you follow links supporting the claim you eventually end up back at the website you started from!
Old 9th Jun 2015, 11:23 am   #20
m0cemdave
Octode

I have also seen examples where the factory code has been partly worn away, so they definitely weren't etched.
I would describe it more as "indelible ink" in comparison to the more familiar brand and type marking which is nowhere near permanent. Or to be more accurate, "almost indelible ink" !
Closed Thread