UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Apr 2015, 4:55 pm   #1
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Default 'Dog-bone' Ceramics: Swap or Not?

Is there any advantage (or disadvantage) in swapping out the 'dogbone' decoupling ceramics which don't leak but are out of tolerance (600 - 700pF instead of 1nF) with new, in-spec single-layer ceramics?

These being around the 37.5MHz amp / 2nd mixer of my RA-17L.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 18th Apr 2015, 5:44 pm   #2
evingar
Octode

Default Re: 'Dog-bone' Ceramics: Swap or Not?

Personally I'd leave alone - both in terms or originality and also because they aren’t likely to degrade anywhere near to the extent of paper types. As decouplers, the value won't be that critical.

Last edited by evingar; 18th Apr 2015 at 5:50 pm.
Old 18th Apr 2015, 7:23 pm   #3
Sideband
Dekatron

Agreed...leave them! A nominal 1000pF ceramic reading 600 - 700pF is OK for RF/IF decoupling and in practice, probably hasn't changed much during the capacitor's life.
Old 18th Apr 2015, 7:33 pm   #4
Skywave
Rest in Peace

I agree with the remarks given by the above members. However, are you trying to locate a fault or are you doing 'routine' preventative maintenance?
If either, a new thread might be advised to avoid this one going off topic.

Al.
Old 18th Apr 2015, 7:51 pm   #5
russell_w_b
Dekatron

I'm just seeking overall improvement, so 'routine preventative maintenance'. I've replaced the components (Rs and Cs) in the 1MHz oscillator and seen an improvement 'on paper' insofar as I now measure 2V RMS at the 1MHz O/P (1.3V RMS on acquisition of the set) and 1.8V RMS at TP3 when cycling through the Megs with V9 removed, as opposed to the half-volt or so I had before.

I've also replaced the Cs and the out-of-spec Rs on the little board in the 2nd VFO (other components in there were in spec) just so I don't have to go in there again unless I have to. Wasn't it yourself who suggested the board might've got a bit hot with being enclosed?

I digress, however...

I'm inclined to leave them in that case, but really was curious to know if modern single-layer ceramics are a suitable replacement for the 'dog-bone' ceramic ones.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 18th Apr 2015, 11:37 pm   #6
Radio Wrangler

A -40% change in a decoupler might just have a small effect on tuned circuits, but I think the question is whether the reduction in capacitance is a sign of impending accelerating change.

If you've done enough work to isolate and measure it, you've also disturbed it enough to have changed it.

David
Old 19th Apr 2015, 7:58 am   #7

Hi K ceramics do loose capacitance over time, you can anneal them and regain the original capacity by heating to a few hundred (check!) degrees.

Old 19th Apr 2015, 9:01 am   #8
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by russell_w_b View Post
I've also replaced the Cs and the out-of-spec Rs on the little board in the 2nd VFO Wasn't it yourself who suggested the board might've got a bit hot with being enclosed?
Yes, indeed it was. I have met more than one example where that board was very badly burnt.

Al.
Closed Thread