UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 26th Nov 2008, 4:36 pm   #1
BakeliteBear
Pentode

Default Help with wiring a 232!

I am restoring a 232 on a bellset. This is now day two!

The telephone diagram uses a No.27 speech coil, which was faulty, so I have replaced it with one that is unmarked, but the resistance values match.

I have now removed the bellset altogether and am working on the telephone on its own. I have treble checked all the wiring and continuity and it now seems to work OK, but the reception is weak. If you remove the blue wire its much better. I have changed over the transmitter and receiver units and also tried another dial. I have also checked that it is actually the blue wire and that the plug has not been reversed.

Any ideas? Is there any reason why I should not leave the blue disconnected? My little icon at the bottom of this page is very apt at the moment!

Thanks
Old 26th Nov 2008, 5:41 pm   #2
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Default Re: Help with wiring a 232!

Have you disconnected the internal ringing capacitor before connecting the blue wire?

If not, you have effectively put the internal capacitor in parallel with the one in the master socket.
Old 26th Nov 2008, 5:56 pm   #3
BakeliteBear
Pentode

As I said, I have removed the bellset altogether. The problem is there with the telephone on its own.

I seem to remember a colleague having a problem with reception volume on a batch of 232s. Could it be a standard problem associated with No.27 coils? Perhaps I would be better rewiring the telephone with a No.25 coil
Old 26th Nov 2008, 6:13 pm   #4
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Have you got the red and white (line-pair) wires the right-way-around? Try swapping them over and see what happens. Leave the blue connected.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 26th Nov 2008, 7:31 pm   #5
BakeliteBear
Pentode

OK, done that and its much improved!

What's going on then - what have I done wrong? I had got it connected the rightway around according to the wiring diagram and now it works better the wrong way around. There also seems to be very little in the way of side tone.

Also, on an entirely different tack, the handset has a completely plain oval where there is normally the date etc. Does anyone know why?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	232.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	21465  
Old 26th Nov 2008, 7:55 pm   #6
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakeliteBear View Post

What's going on then - what have I done wrong? I had got it connected the rightway around according to the wiring diagram and now it works better the wrong way around. There also seems to be very little in the way of side tone.
WRT your cct-diagram: I take it you've got your red and white modern plug-leads connected to your incoming line A and B pair (or terminals 2 and 5 as viewed behind the line-jack unit respectively), and your bell is connected, ultimately, to the blue wire and the white wire (terminal 3 as viewed behind the line-jack unit)?

If not, how have you got them? What sort of bellset are you using? Note that on Bob's wiring table the red and white wires of the original cord are reversed when connecting to the new plug and socket!

Quote:
Also, on an entirely different tack, the handset has a completely plain oval where there is normally the date etc. Does anyone know why?
The oval on the handset will have embossed into it '164' if it is a GPO handset; 'Siemens' or 'Ericsson' if it is either of those makes. I'm guessing a bit, as that's what I've seen. There may have been a different handset fitted. I know that some type 'F' field-telephone handset bodies have a simple 'No:1' in there, but I can't say I've ever seen a blank one. Does the plain oval protrude from the handset moulding or is it recessed?

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 26th Nov 2008, 9:14 pm   #7
BakeliteBear
Pentode

Thanks for your interest. I will come back to you tomorrow regarding the wiring when I have checked it again!

The handset is original, not a repro, which I think you are hinting at regarding the raised oval. No there are no marks at all, all entirely plain. I have done a few hundred telephones over the years and I can’t recall seeing another plain one!
Old 26th Nov 2008, 11:18 pm   #8
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:

The handset is original, not a repro, which I think you are hinting at regarding the raised oval. No there are no marks at all, all entirely plain. I have done a few hundred telephones over the years and I can’t recall seeing another plain one!
Actually I have seen a blank one! My Ericsson 2121A on our sideboard has a blank oval on the handset (shows how often I look at it!), so I guess you've got one of those handsets fitted to your 232. As far as I know, my 2121A is original as I retrieved it from service intact.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 27th Nov 2008, 10:21 am   #9
BakeliteBear
Pentode

Good morning!

I have rechecked the wiring back to the socket - its all correct! I think I might rip out the coil and start again - unless you have any better ideas??
Old 27th Nov 2008, 11:43 am   #10
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Good morning!

I have rechecked the wiring back to the socket - its all correct! I think I might rip out the coil and start again - unless you have any better ideas??
Sounds reasonable - but I would fit a known 'worker' to see how you fare!

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Closed Thread