UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 19th Sep 2008, 12:47 pm   #1
Baker Light
Retired Dormant Member

Default GPO Telephone baseplate codings.

Hi

I am renovating a Mark I 710L, and wondered if anyone can help with the manufacturer? Code on the bottom of the plastic base is: 710L AAR 65/1.
I am assuming (Yes I know! My old computer engineering manager told me "never assume anything") the AAR is the manufacturer's code, but can find no info about it? Can find nothing inside that is helpful.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Best wishes, Michael
Old 19th Sep 2008, 2:20 pm   #2
AndiiT
Octode

Default Re: 710 manufacturer

Hi,
I have had a look at Bobs telephone file - http://www.britishtelephones.com/
but cannot find any reference to AAR, the telecoms heritage group may be able to help you though, unfortunately I have lost the link that I had to them.

The 710 in the code (as I am sure you have already guessed) relates to the type of telephone and the 65/1 suggests that the phone was originally manufactured in the first quarter of 1965.

The 'N' (wiring) diagram for this telephone can also be found at Bobs telephone file.

Regards
Andrew
Old 19th Sep 2008, 7:20 pm   #3
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndiiT View Post
the telecoms heritage group may be able to help you though, unfortunately I have lost the link that I had to them.
http://www.thg.org.uk/
Old 20th Sep 2008, 9:56 am   #4
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

'AAR' sounds more like a refurbishment code rather than a manufacturer code to me. Commonly, the 'R' as the third letter stood for 'Refurbished' as per 'FHR' signified refurbishment at the the GPO's Holloway factory and 'FWR' signified refurbishment at the GPO's Welsh factory. To elaborate, FHR meant Factory-Holloway-Refurbished......and so forth.

If this is true, then I've no idea what, or who 'AA' stood for. It could've been a contractor as it definately wasn't a GPO factory code.

The 710 was introduced in 1959, so whether a refurb was undertaken in 1965, just six years into the life of the 'phone, was likely I don't know. I'm also unsure if this code system was carried over from the 300 to 700 series, perhaps someone else can clarify that point.

Michael, is the code stamped directly onto the underside of the telephone or is it on an applied label?
Old 20th Sep 2008, 11:05 am   #5
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren-uk View Post
'AAR' sounds more like a refurbishment code rather than a manufacturer code to me. Commonly, the 'R' as the third letter stood for 'Refurbished' as per 'FHR' signified refurbishment at the the GPO's Holloway factory and 'FWR' signified refurbishment at the GPO's Welsh factory. To elaborate, FHR meant Factory-Holloway-Refurbished......and so forth.
What does the code on the base of my Tele 710 mean?

710/CB E60/1

No other markings. I had a look inside to see if the capacitor had any maker's mark on it (to help the other chap out), but there are just 'N'-numbers on the ringer, switch, etc... I take it the CB is 'Central Battery'.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 20th Sep 2008, 12:42 pm   #6
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
710/CB E60/1
710 = This one's obvious.
CB = Central Battery.
E = Ericsson (Manufactured by).
60 = Year of manufacture.
1 = Batch number. I think I'm correct on this last one, no doubt someone will confirm.

Incidentally, I've altered the title of this thread to embrace codes other than those of the manufacturer. Please keep this thread within the bounds of its title though folks .
Old 20th Sep 2008, 7:13 pm   #7
Baker Light
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: GPO Telephone baseplate codings.

Hi Darren,
The code is stamped directly into the black plastic base.
Regards, Michael.
Old 14th Oct 2008, 4:44 pm   #8
RojjaGee
Diode

Default Re: GPO Telephone baseplate codings.

Baker Light,

As has been said by others, the "AAR" would indicate the manufacturer or repairer.

AAR might be the code Associated Automation, which was a telephone equipment manufacturing company on the Edgware Road, Colindale. They certainly made telephones and was possibly the first to supply the pay-on-answer 705/735 coinboxes.

I know that the company was active in the 60s and disappeared in the 70's.

Just done a google:

Hansard 17th March 76 :-

"...There is great concern among my constituents who work at Associated Automation, where there is a possibility of 400 redundancies. It is hoped that that factory will not close, because it is a traditional area of employment. The first telephones in the Palace of Westminster were made by Halls Telephones, the forerunner of Associated Automation.

The company now makes stamp machines, coin boxes and telephone 1491 equipment for the Post Office...."

So the date is ok for your 1965 710 to have been made there.

Humm, just had a rare remember moment. Your phone has a black plastic moulded base, if the components, connectors moulded into it together with conventional wiring (no pcb), something reminds me that was the design of the AA product. IMHO, not one of the best.

Hope this helps,
Roger.
Closed Thread