UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 6th Sep 2008, 9:55 pm   #1
trevwgb
Tetrode

Question Transmitter number 21a circuit diagram

Hi
As you know this transmitter is on a circuit board - I am trying to get it into a number 28 telephone ( a very small space ) whose origional transmitter had disintigrated! . I have removed it from the red and the black casing and have removed the terminals, but it's still too big. It has 3 resistors, a capacitor and something else ( I don;t know what this is ) which has on it "Ferranti ZN 470AE 8222". I think that I might be able to fit these into the space if they wern't on the board. Does anyone know where I can find the circuit diagram for this transmitter - or does anyone have any other ideas? Are there any smaller transmitters?
Thanks
Regards
Trev
Old 6th Sep 2008, 11:03 pm   #2
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Default Re: Transmitter number 21a circuit diagram

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevwgb View Post
Hi
As you know this transmitter is on a circuit board - I am trying to get it into a number 28 telephone ( a very small space ) whose origional transmitter had disintigrated! . I have removed it from the red and the black casing and have removed the terminals, but it's still too big. It has 3 resistors, a capacitor and something else ( I don;t know what this is ) which has on it "Ferranti ZN 470AE 8222". I think that I might be able to fit these into the space if they wern't on the board. Does anyone know where I can find the circuit diagram for this transmitter - or does anyone have any other ideas? Are there any smaller transmitters?
Thanks
Regards
Trev
I think it's a VOGAD IC (Voice Operated Gain-Adjusting Device). Have you considered drawing out the connections from the PCB on a sheet of paper? Start at, say, mic terminal 1 and draw out what it is connected to, then terminal 2, etc... Put a little mark on the PCB track with a felt-pen to show that you've drawn it out (it saves going down the same route twice).

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 9th Sep 2008, 10:02 pm   #3
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Some years ago when I had nothing better to do, I disembowelled both a red mic insert and a blue mic insert: 21A DAE 82/1 and 21/A (AKG) repectively. You may find the attached drawings of use.

Knowing what the IC does isn't necessary, as long as you can remove all the components satisfactorily from the PCB and remount them where convenient. The IC (as I recall) is a standard 14-pin chip, so it should fit in a standard IC holder.

HTH
Attached Files
File Type: pdf mic_inserts.pdf (22.3 KB, 578 views)

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 13th Nov 2008, 1:10 pm   #4
Nick G8GRA
Rest in Peace

Russell - hi,

Interesting info on the Type 21A DAE red Carbon-Compatible mic insert. I just assumed it was a true carbon mic and didn’t know it had an electret insert and Ferranti chip to emulate carbon.

Do you, or any one else for that matter, know what the original specification for it was? Does any one know if there is a BT specification about still? What I am trying to find out is:

- Its impedance at 1kHz,
- Its output from speech (peak or average) when held normally in front of the mouth, and,
- What voltage or current it needs to drive it.

Thanks,

Nick
G8GRA/M0PYE
Old 13th Nov 2008, 2:24 pm   #5
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick G8GRA View Post
Russell - hi,

Interesting info on the Type 21A DAE red Carbon-Compatible mic insert. I just assumed it was a true carbon mic and didn’t know it had an electret insert and Ferranti chip to emulate carbon.

Do you, or any one else for that matter, know what the original specification for it was? Does any one know if there is a BT specification about still? What I am trying to find out is:

- Its impedance at 1kHz,
- Its output from speech (peak or average) when held normally in front of the mouth, and,
- What voltage or current it needs to drive it.
Funny you should ask... I've just fitted one to my BPO 332 bakelite telephone and it works a treat! I can provide you with an impedance characteristic of a receiver or possibly a carbon mic at 1KHz, but not, as yet, an impedance for the 21A. I shall look, though...

I have only done subjective testing of the mic and nothing amounting to science, but I shall say that the speech is crystal-clear compared with a 'Mic, Inset, No:13', although I think the spit-cup mouthpiece on the bakelite 164 (or equivalent) handset tailors the response slightly.

Mine runs quite happily at 6V and draws 40mA - same as for the mic (Transmitter, Inset 13) it replaced. Now, the microphone capsule it was meant to replace is the 'Transmitter, Inset, No: 16'. I would consider the spec the same, as there don't seem to be any other mods to the telephones to which Inset 21A electrets were fitted. If there were, I'd expect those who know of them to speak up! I get the impression that the current / impedance spec hasn't changed from the original 'Transmitter, Inset, No:13', just performance and sensitivity have improved within the constraints of the original design. Do remember that 'Transmitter, Inset, No:13' (or inset No:10 - an earlier version) has been used on all instruments from the bakelite models of the 1930's and 40's through to the earlier type 706, and that they work equally well on a type 746 (or 8746), the instrument to which an electret type 21A was introduced in 1982.

We found at work that telephones (this was when we had a BT 'Herald' analogue system) fitted with carbon mics were more prone to demodulation of RF from the high-power HF transmitters than those instruments fitted with a 21A capsule.

If I find out more, I'll certainly let you know, but I have had no problems in the direct exchange of a type 21A for any earlier type of carbon insert.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 13th Nov 2008, 3:49 pm   #6
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by russell_w_b View Post
Mine runs quite happily at 6V and draws 40mA - same as for the mic (Transmitter, Inset 13) it replaced. Now, the microphone capsule it was meant to replace is the 'Transmitter, Inset, No: 16'...
I've just checked on our one remaining 741 telephone at work, fitted with a carbon 'Transmitter, Inset, No:16' (directly replaceable with an insert 21A) and I get 6.2V @ 40mA at the mic.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 13th Nov 2008, 11:41 pm   #7
Herald1360
Dekatron

ZN470 see attached shortform.

Chris
Attached Files
File Type: pdf zn470_datasheet.pdf (20.9 KB, 382 views)
Old 14th Nov 2008, 12:43 am   #8
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herald1360 View Post
ZN470 see attached shortform.

Chris
Excellent! There was an AKG dynamic version as well, coloured blue.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Closed Thread