UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 20th Jun 2008, 10:23 am   #1
gridrunner
Pentode

Default Sticking rotary dial on a 332F phone

Hello everyone,

I have an old 332F GPO phone here, which although it works OK, has a problem with the rotary dial. The dial sticks and has difficulty turning, and is notchy to operate to the point it can't be used. Can anyone give any guidance on repair? Does it merely need cleaning or do I need a new rotor mechanism?

Thanks

Stu
Old 20th Jun 2008, 11:09 am   #2
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Sticking rotary dial on a 332F phone

Many problems with these dials are caused by problems with the centrifugal governor being either dirty/bunged-up or sticking for some other reason.

However, going by what you describe, I suspect a problem with the dial return spring or a foreign body caught up in the mechanism.

Removing the dial and watching its operation from the underside usually reveals the cause of any such trouble. To do this, remove baseplate and you'll see a small screw at an angle when viewed from the front of the telephone. Remove this screw (I think it's a 6BA) and the dial can be removed.
Old 25th Oct 2008, 7:19 pm   #3
Majicou
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Sticking rotary dial on a 332F phone

Quote:
Originally Posted by gridrunner View Post
Hello everyone,

I have an old 332F GPO phone here, which although it works OK, has a problem with the rotary dial. The dial sticks and has difficulty turning, and is notchy to operate to the point it can't be used. Can anyone give any guidance on repair? Does it merely need cleaning or do I need a new rotor mechanism?

Thanks

Stu
Personally, I would give it a quick soak in White Spirit after removing the contacts and number plate. Only use very light oil (not WD40) and avoid removing the governor cup as these are factory set and hard to do. A full strip down is tricky until you get the hang of it, but allows the dial to be cleaned properly. Come back to me if you need any further help
Closed Thread