UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc

Notices

Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc Standards converters, modulators anything else for providing signals to vintage televisions.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Jan 2007, 5:40 pm   #1
Hunts smoothing bomb
Octode

Default Flashing an image to the Aurora

Hello Everyone,

I was just wondering weather anyone has replaced testcard C with another image on their Aurora?

I was wondering because what happens to the test tone that accompanied the testcard? Does it remain undeleted. I was just wondering as I was thinking of replacing my image but didn't know what would happen with the tone.

Many thanks

Lee
Old 30th Jan 2007, 5:48 pm   #2
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Flashing an image to the Aurora

I have replaced the image on my Aurora but it's a Mk I which does not have a test tone. From my understanding of the Mk II the tone is generated rather than stored and so cannot be erased or replaced.
Old 30th Jan 2007, 5:55 pm   #3
Hunts smoothing bomb
Octode

Aha! I see,

Thanks for the quick reply, I will see what others say before I try it.

Cheers
Lee
Old 30th Jan 2007, 9:09 pm   #4
tubesrule
Hexode

Hi Lee,
The new test tone feature in the revision 2 units is a 1kHz sine wave generated digitally in the fpga, and is not tied to the image FLASH. You can replace the image in the FLASH without affecting the tone. There is no way to affect the tone other than changing it in the code. The tone can be disabled however through one of the option switches if you want to send your own audio through the modulator and don't want the tone.

Hope this helps,
Darryl
Old 30th Jan 2007, 10:42 pm   #5
Hunts smoothing bomb
Octode

Hi Darryl,

I see, thats great,
A big thumbs up by the way
This unit is fantastic! I very much like the revised unit with the channel selector accessible from the outside as I have a few TV's that operate on different channels.

An excellent piece of workmanship and as others have already stated, Extremely good value

Cheers
Lee
Old 30th Jan 2007, 11:47 pm   #6
tubesrule
Hexode

Thanks for the feedback Lee. I was initially resitant to adding the channel switch as I thought it would not be possible to squeeze one in anywhere on the board, but it ended up fitting nicely. There really isn't much need to open the unit now, other than to make the occasional change to one of the option switches.

Cheers,
Darryl
Old 1st Feb 2007, 1:13 am   #7
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

I didnt realise this was already available with external channal switching ? that was kept quiet or did i miss something
Old 1st Feb 2007, 8:59 am   #8
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipp1968 View Post
I didnt realise this was already available with external channal switching ? that was kept quiet or did i miss something
After some consultation, Darryl decided to tweak the design before ordering a new batch of blank PCBs. The first 100 or so units are the original design, subsequent units have external channel switching and a tone generator. I asked Darryl about upgrading existing units and while it's theoretically possible it's a bit of a kludge. If you are desperate for external channel switching I suppose you could mount the Aurora and a hex switch in a box and run some wires to the existing switch block. Not recommended unless you are happy to work on fine surface mount boards.
Old 1st Feb 2007, 10:25 am   #9
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

Do I understand that all new units now are switchable ? I dont fancy tampering with anything that small
Closed Thread