UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Apr 2017, 2:38 pm   #1
Ryan_1993
Hexode

Default 1949 Hoover Dustette 100

Hi All,

I saw this at North Cave car boot sale earlier today and for £4.00 I had to have it.

I'm not sure if I should plug it in though, it has a relatively modern plug on it and there is dust inside it so I assume it does work. I have checked the cable and although the cotton is frayed the actual skin of the cable seems fine and there isn't any exposed wiring that I can see.

Any suggestions? I am a bit worried it might blow up or something lol, the motor doesn't appear to be seized as it turns freely.

Its currently in pieces as I've just wet and dried down the metal body and am re-spraying it gloss black as its in a pretty bad way.

Also does anyone know the best way to clean up the dust bag? I don't want it to sort of disintegrate if I wash it in my washing machine or would I be better soaking it water overnight in a bowl?

Cheers

Ryan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5246.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	141053  
Old 16th Apr 2017, 2:46 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: 1949 Hoover Dustette 100

I would hand wash the bag in a bowl of warm water containing laundry detergent, then rinse and line dry.

It isn't clear if you've removed the motor from the case, but the airflow in Dustettes goes down the side of the motor without any filtering, so the gap is prone to filling up with dust and fluff. It's sometimes very difficult to remove the motor to clean the gap, but you can run the machine with the dustbag removed and poke the dust down using bits of wire coathanger. Be very careful with your fingers near the moving impeller.

Just power it up using an RCD adapter. There's no risk of it blowing up, but watch out for smoke or nasty smells during the first couple of minutes of operation.
Old 16th Apr 2017, 8:41 pm   #3
Ryan_1993
Hexode

Thanks, yeah I couldn't get the motor completely out so I have masked off the handle and motor and spray painted black with bag removed and chrome end removed. What is stopping the motor from coming out anyway? I assumed it would be easy to remove.

Ryan
Old 16th Apr 2017, 9:06 pm   #4
paulsherwin

It's probably the wiring to the switch on the handle. Mine is a later 60s model and isn't physically identical, though they didn't change much over time.
Old 16th Apr 2017, 10:11 pm   #5
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

I think that bag is a later replacement, the originals were black. Was the body black crackle paint?
Old 17th Apr 2017, 8:50 pm   #6
Ryan_1993
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
It's probably the wiring to the switch on the handle. Mine is a later 60s model and isn't physically identical, though they didn't change much over time.
Hi Paul,

Its now been repainted and powered on and works really well. I am going to replace the frayed out cord though, just wondered if it easy enough to do. Does the mains cable just wire to the switch?
Old 17th Apr 2017, 9:06 pm   #7
bluepilot
Heptode

My mother had a Dustette when I was small. (Late 1950s) I remember it looking like the one in the picture although I can't remember what colour the bag was. Be careful of dustettes. They can be dangerous:
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/914

The golden age is always yesterday - Asa Briggs
Old 17th Apr 2017, 9:18 pm   #8
Ryan_1993
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boater Sam View Post
I think that bag is a later replacement, the originals were black. Was the body black crackle paint?
It was falking off so I wet and dried it and removed it and have now just finished spraying it and a nice gloss black. Polished all the aluminium up too. It looks great now.

I'm not sure in regards to the bag. TBH I haven't even seen a black bodied one online. All of them have a brown coffee coloured body with gold nozzle.

Last edited by Ryan_1993; 17th Apr 2017 at 9:35 pm.
Old 17th Apr 2017, 11:43 pm   #9
paulsherwin

I think there were 4 basic models during the long production run, though all are very similar. Yours is the first one introduced in the early 30s, mine is the second one from the mid 50s to the mid 60s. Only the last one could be used with a bag.

It's normal for them to have been fitted with replacement bags at some stage, so your bag may or may not be original. At least it's a genuine Hoover bag - many were fitted with third party replacements.
Old 18th Apr 2017, 12:33 am   #10
AC/HL
Dekatron

I scrapped one some time ago, it was brown from memory, but the bag was rotten so wouldn't hold dust properly, a bit of a drawback! It was handy for stairs though when working, even though it wasn't very powerful.
Old 18th Apr 2017, 4:34 pm   #11
gezza123
Heptode

Hi, still got one of these I put it on here when I first joined the site
(2010) I was told not worth a carrot, so it went in the bin I then went
into hospital and forgot about it and this post reminded me.

I was Just talking to the wife and would you credit it, she just
told me she took it out of the bin and put it in the attic as it belonged
to her mom.
I just been up there and found it stuck in a box so I have got it out and
took some pics for you.
Maybe worth two carrots now.

gezza123
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	hoover dustette 1.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	141165   Click image for larger version

Name:	hoover dustette 2.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	141166   Click image for larger version

Name:	hoover dustette 3.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	141167  
Old 18th Apr 2017, 4:42 pm   #12
paulsherwin

They aren't worth much in monetary terms because so many were sold and have survived. The lack of filtration means that they tend to suck up dust and blow it straight out again, so they aren't great for people who want to maintain a completely dust free environment. They are useful for vacuuming up crumbs and fluff though.
Old 18th Apr 2017, 6:07 pm   #13
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by gezza123 View Post
I was Just talking to the wife and would you credit it, she just
told me she took it out of the bin and put it in the attic as it belonged to her mom.
Isn't that rather a role reversal scenario?

.........O..Chris....O
Old 19th Apr 2017, 7:52 am   #14
Ryan_1993
Hexode

Yeah I wasn't bothered about the value, I just really loved the design, looks pretty cool.
Old 11th May 2017, 4:21 am   #15
majoconz
Heptode

I remember my Mum had a Hoover "Dustette" in the 50's - black crackle body and a black bag - I don't know what happened to it, but it was replaced by one of the floaty 'Constellation' things.

Anyway, to my surprise, this was found in a local hardware shop - made in China, of course - bit I've had it for almost ten years now and it still works well. Just the job for a quick clean-up of the car.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF1195.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	142410  
Old 28th May 2017, 4:41 pm   #16
PaulR
Dekatron

I bought what was probably one of the last ones made when I got married in 1980. Although it was well made and seemed like a good idea it was pretty useless, particularly in the car as the bag didn't hold the dust very well and expelled a lot if it banged against something when switched on.