UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Jun 2018, 6:26 pm   #21
avocollector
Heptode

Default Re: A lucky save from a sticky end.

Mixed feelings - like most I'd like leakproof duracells but on the other hand when the picture of the leaked in battery compartment goes up on the auction site, the bids all vanish - apart from mine! Duracell has been responsible for a fair number of bargains which once washed out, neutralised and cleaned have been fine ever since.
Old 8th Jun 2018, 11:25 pm   #22
Sinewave
Octode

Cleaning battery contacts, that's another can of worms.

I recently cleaned one set with vinegar and a wire brush attachment on a dremel.

The corrosion was so bad that before I began, some of the contacts were eroded away. Others I've done with vinegar with good results and the dremel, only leaving pitting where the corrosion tried to eat the contacts.

I'm by no means an expert at this at all.
Old 29th Jun 2018, 7:08 pm   #23
john.north
Pentode

Just got to mine in time. Had ordered a new 15 volt cell. Removed the cover and saw the Duracell had started to leak. Managed to clean the negative contact. No harm done. Replaced with a supermarket cheaply.The blr121 read 13.5v and was the original Eveready.
Avo 9 mk4 part no 5170 262.
John.
Old 29th Jun 2018, 8:31 pm   #24
Biggles
Rest in Peace

I just managed to save the contacts in a battery compartment in a wall clock after it stopped recently. It must have been the only Duracell battery left in the house, obviously forgotten after I did a trawl a couple of years back to bin them all. The date was 2023 on the AA battery. Badly corroded and leaking nasty chemicals all over the place. The clock was inside the house, at normal ambient temperature and humidity. I won't use them again.
Alan.

Last edited by Biggles; 29th Jun 2018 at 8:33 pm. Reason: extra info
Old 29th Jun 2018, 8:58 pm   #25
john.north
Pentode

Hello Dave,
Good point! Just checked March 2012 so it has been in a heck of a long time. I use the meter most days and I knew the blr121 was on its way otherwise it would still be in. Incidentally what is the average shelf life of new batteries? I have just found some aaa and they are stamped 2026. If the average is say eight years I would have replaced that in 2004. Well past it’s sell by.
John.
Old 29th Jun 2018, 9:11 pm   #26
The Philpott
Dekatron

I notice 'They' are now tending to extend the dates printed on Alkaline AAA,AA,C,D, cells such that it's not unusual to buy them with 2026-2028 quoted. I don't intend to test the extremities of these claims!

Also I have a BLR121 that I recently re-stuffed with (ten) alkaline LR54's, one of which started to generate white powder despite the packaging date of Dec 2018. Well they were a quid for a big blister card of asstd sizes.. what did I expect?
Old 29th Jun 2018, 10:06 pm   #27
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

Is the white fluffy powder from alkaline button cells corrosive? Never had much of a problem with it.
Old 29th Jun 2018, 10:25 pm   #28
The Philpott
Dekatron

Not sure- but it certainly created resistance which the minimal current demand on the BLR121 couldn't break through. On high ohm range the needle was fluctuating madly. Aha, i thought. i know what's causing that..
Closed Thread