UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Apr 2021, 3:52 pm   #1
Malcolm G6ANZ
Octode

Default Cossor 524 low sensitivity on FM

I am revisiting this set. I recapped it a few years ago and replaced a couple of low emission valves and it has worked OK. It now has poor sensitivity on FM. During investigation I found that by pulling on the tuning cord going to the slug in L3 the sensitivity dramatically improved. This coil is tuned with C4 (4pF) its the small grey one behind the black wire. So do these caps fail? or should I be looking at something else?

Malcolm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Front end circuit.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	231828   Click image for larger version

Name:	VHF Layout.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	231829   Click image for larger version

Name:	Front end.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	231830  
Old 15th Apr 2021, 6:07 pm   #2
Mr 1936
Heptode

Default Re: Cossor 524 low sensitivity on FM

Hi Malcolm

Assuming that stations still appear at their correct places on the dial, it would seem that it's the RF stage tuning that is incorrect. The inductor is fairly bombproof (assuming the slug on a string is intact), so more likely to be the parallel capacitor C4. This type of low value fixed capacitor is normally pretty reliable, but it's not impossible that it has drifted or even gone O/C. Do you need more or less core into the former to improve sensitivity ? You could try temporarilty removing it and replacing with a new low tempco ceramic or even a miniature trimmer.

If the stations have "moved" on the dial then it's the LO that's wrong and you are simply retuning the RF stage to compensate for the error.
Old 15th Apr 2021, 6:26 pm   #3
Malcolm G6ANZ
Octode

The string is intact and unadjusted. I have to pull the tuning slug right out so that it is right out of the coil, with it as far as it can the sensitivity still doesn't peak. The stations appear to be at the right point on the scale.
Am I right in thinking that even though its in the anode circuit the voltage across it is low since it is not referenced to chassis so a 50v one would be OK?
Malcolm
Old 15th Apr 2021, 8:58 pm   #4
Mr 1936
Heptode

Hi

If you need to pull the slug out to reduce inductance, it implies that the capacitance is higher than it should be.

DC wise, there is no voltage across this capacitor (it's shorted out by the inductor) so no worries about voltage rating.
Old 15th Apr 2021, 9:07 pm   #5
Cobaltblue

I have a couple of these and never had a problem with the FM alignment.

That said have you followed the Mechanical and RF alignment in the Cossor service sheet?

There are adjustments to the cords and two trimmers

Cheers

Mike T
Old 15th Apr 2021, 9:22 pm   #6
Malcolm G6ANZ
Octode

As far as I know the mechanical set up has not been touched, I did an RF alignment when I first did the restoration and it all came up ok, but even then it was insensitive. I didn't touch the FM front end mechanics at that time as I was still learning and didn't want to disturb anything that would be difficult to put back.
So the mechanical setup hasn't changed, the RF tuning slug needs to be fully out to get a decent sensitivity, the tracking of the LO is OK so I'm tempted to change the 4pF capacitor.
What can possibly go wrong
Closed Thread