UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Oct 2019, 10:58 pm   #1
nickjaxe
Retired Dormant Member

Default FT-101ZD. Do I have an FM or AM board fitted

Hello, all my first post. I recently bought a nice old Yaesu FT-101ZD...

The band switch includes AM, but a pal told me its not an AM board in my rig but an FM.

Is there an easy way to confirm.

Nick in Cheshire.
Old 11th Oct 2019, 5:11 am   #2
John KC0G
Hexode

Default Re: FT-101ZD. Do I have an FM or AM board fitted

Nick, welcome.

The short answer is yes. The Fox Tango web site http://foxtango.org/foxtango001.htm is an excellent source of information on older Yaesu radios. You should look at the FT-101ZD Survival Guide at: http://www.foxtango.org/ft-library/F...T-101ZDSG3.pdf

You will see that there were four different versions. Mk0 did not have an AM or FM option. MK1 and Mk2 had the front panel marked for the AM option only. The Mk3 had the front panel marked for the AM and FM options, but only one could be installed. There are pictures of the AM (PB2040) and FM board (PB2218) on page 11 of the guide. It should make identification straightforward

HTH and 73

John

Last edited by AC/HL; 11th Oct 2019 at 12:43 pm. Reason: Links added
Old 16th Oct 2019, 7:17 pm   #3
nickjaxe
Retired Dormant Member

Hi John only just seen your post...not getting email notifications.

I looked at the FT group a while ago...could not find any info to tell if I do have AM or not.

Looked under the cover...there is a board fitted were the AM/FM board goes, but no idea what I have.

Nick.
Old 20th Oct 2019, 6:36 pm   #4
John KC0G
Hexode

Nick, the FT-101ZD Survival Guide (see my previous post) makes it very clear which board is which. Failing that, you could post a picture here of the board which you have.

73 John
Old 20th Oct 2019, 6:58 pm   #5
nickjaxe
Retired Dormant Member

Sorry, John yes you're correct it does in fact and is quite clear not sure why I missed it.

Indeed it turns out to be an FM board...which, as far as I know, was never fitted to the Mk1 like mine.

Not quite sure if its a lash up mod or not but the dimmer rotary control has been converted to the FM squelch control with its 3 wires going to a plug in socket on the board.

If I thought I could remove it without to much trouble I would.

I wonder if I manage to pick up an AM board is it a plug and plug fittment...or will it req alignment.

Anybody want to swap an AM board for an FM board.

Nick.
Old 21st Oct 2019, 8:49 am   #6
John M0GLN
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickjaxe View Post
I wonder if I manage to pick up an AM board is it a plug and plug fittment...or will it req alignment.
Nick.
I replaced the FM board with an AM one on mine, bit fiddly changing the wires over as it's not a simple case of pulling one board out and pushing the next one in, but no alignment is required, the hardest part of the job will probably be finding a board, took me over a year of searching.

John
Closed Thread