UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Nov 2018, 8:15 pm   #1
NickG0HIK
Hexode

Default Source of longish lengths of silver plated wire required

I'm trying to repair a Roller Coaster in a Command TX and need to rewind the coil.
I thought I had some suitable wire, but it's on a former and when I unwind it, I find the wire has been wound over ridges on the former, making it unsuitable to wind back on to the roller coaster former.

A look on our favorite auction site come up with lots of hits for Silver Plated Copper Wire, but 1000mm seems to be the longest length that you can obtain for 2mm diameter.

I need 4000mm, has anyone used a supplier for the wire?

Thanks

Nick
Old 22nd Nov 2018, 8:22 pm   #2
John M0GLN
Octode

Default Re: Source of longish lengths of silver plated wire required

Anything here that would suit?

https://wires.co.uk/acatalog/cu_sp.html

John
Old 22nd Nov 2018, 8:40 pm   #3
NickG0HIK
Hexode

Thanks for that John.

There might be, I need to know the difference between soft and hard plated wire.

They dont have an email address, so I'll ring them.

Nick
Old 22nd Nov 2018, 9:51 pm   #4
Radio Wrangler

THey know what they're doing, tell them that it's for radio frequency electronics and you'll get the right grade. Their website is oriented mostly for the jewellery trade. I've used them on and off for many years. I bought a fair range last time, so it's been several years since my last order.

David
Old 22nd Nov 2018, 9:59 pm   #5

Have you tried "killing" the wire by stretching it a bit, one end held still and a sufficient length pulled until it gives. It's called killing by the old telegraph pole erectors, the coils of galvanised wire where too "alive" until...

Old 22nd Nov 2018, 10:45 pm   #6
MotorBikeLes
Nonode

My late Ex used to make jewellery, often with silver or gold wire but also with silver plated copper. I have a range of these from 0.4mm to about 1.6mm. I would mostly use if I was repairing a PCB with a burned hole typically caused by a dry joint (think Grundig CTVs with thyristor line output caused by poor initial soldering). I would cut back to undamaged material, scrape off the print surface, then form the appropriate shape from whichever thickness I considered suitable. Spray with decent lacquer. Somewhat over 30 years old, much of the wire is now blacked, but still useable.
I think lengths were from about 1m for thick wire, to greater lengths for thinner. (rough guesses there).
Les.
Old 22nd Nov 2018, 11:13 pm   #7
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

Nick,
It might be easier to find a 'got at' transmitter which would provide a donor roller-coaster. Which transmitter are you working on?

Andy
Old 23rd Nov 2018, 12:05 am   #8
emeritus
Dekatron

If you know anyone who still does their own wet chemical photography (not that many do these days), you can silver plate copper items by immersing them in exhausted fixer. Items thus plated can be buffed with a cloth to a good shine.
Old 23rd Nov 2018, 5:04 pm   #9
NickG0HIK
Hexode

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I rang Wires.co.uk, (which is the same company as the Scientific wire company BTW), nobody there could answer my questions, so I'll need to ring back next week.
In the mean time it has been suggested that I maybe do not need silver plated wire for a roller coaster that will not be subjected to any harsh environments. Tinned copper wire is much more easily obtained. In the worst case, I could use tinned copper as a practice before I use silver plated. I'll mull it over for the weekend.

Nick
Old 23rd Nov 2018, 6:30 pm   #10
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Wires & Co seem only to supply 2mm silver plated copper wire in two lengths:

50G, which is only 1.7m long (£5.20 inc VAT). Ref: SP2000S-050, which would be too short for your needs.
500G, which is 17m long - far too much for your needs, and costs £24.10 inc VAT. Ref: SP2000S-500.

I'm sure that for your roller coaster, silver plated wire wouldn't confer any advantage over tinned copper wire, which I think would function just as well. The marginal advantage of the 'skin effect' doesn't really come into effect at the low frequencies of a Command Transmitter. Furthermore, if not used regularly so that the 'wiper' keeps the silver plating polished, the silver would quickly tarnish.

Good luck with your endeavours.
Old 23rd Nov 2018, 7:18 pm   #11
NickG0HIK
Hexode

Quote:
I'm sure that for your roller coaster, silver plated wire wouldn't confer any advantage over tinned copper wire, which I think would function just as well. The marginal advantage of the 'skin effect' doesn't really come into effect at the low frequencies of a Command Transmitter. Furthermore, if not used regularly so that the 'wiper' keeps the silver plating polished, the silver would quickly tarnish.
Just my thoughts too David.

I was told silver tarnish conducts, apparently the only one of the metals that does?

Reading up a little bit it does conduct, but not as well as pure silver.

https://www.finishing.com/347/57.shtml
Old 23rd Nov 2018, 7:49 pm   #12
turretslug
Dekatron

That was my understanding, too, e.g. silver-plated cartridge fuse end caps that can end up looking quite dark and murky but still make reliable contact.
Old 24th Nov 2018, 11:41 am   #13
Andrew B
Heptode

If you can see the insides of the ATU / Gubbins, then how about using gold plated wire?

Andrew
Old 24th Nov 2018, 1:51 pm   #14
Herald1360
Dekatron

That'll improve the audio quality no end
.........O..Chris....O
Old 25th Nov 2018, 11:26 am   #15
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

Use the contact feature of the wires.co.uk website.

I did and the support via email with questions about enamel types and hard/soft drawn was good.

Last edited by Jon_G4MDC; 25th Nov 2018 at 11:41 am.
Old 26th Nov 2018, 1:04 am   #16
FrankB
Heptode

Why not take the gauge of wire to a jewlers and have them silver plate it for you, or use one of the DIY plating kits? Not terribly expensive to buy.
Closed Thread