UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Feb 2013, 12:36 pm   #1
newlite4
Octode

Default 2SC73 equivalent

Anyone know a good equivalent for this NPN germanium transistor. It is the frequency converter in a Sony TR-7120 circa 1959. The original checks out OK on a Peak analyser at hfe of 200 but I suspect some deterioration when using a go/nogo led type tester.
Neil
Old 5th Feb 2013, 1:28 pm   #2
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Re: 2SC73 equivalent

2SC173 and 2SC178 come up as possibles, but they're probably no easier to find.

Unless the device isn't working as expected, I wouldn't replace it. Remember Ge devices can look pretty awful leakage wise compared with silicon even though they're fine.

Otherwise try any old silicon npn device- BC547 etc etc. Maybe need a tweak to the biassing..... drop the emitter resistor to about 1K from the 3.3k fitted.
.........O..Chris....O

Last edited by Herald1360; 5th Feb 2013 at 1:34 pm.
Old 5th Feb 2013, 1:32 pm   #3
newlite4
Octode

Thanks for the equivs, it looked as though this device had been removed before, it does appear to be leaky.
Neil
Old 5th Feb 2013, 1:35 pm   #4
Anthony Thomas
Hexode

My Towers International transistor selector (3rd update) suggests BC107 and A157 though I realise that the BC107 is not a Germanium type.

My Babani "second book of equivalents" suggests 2N168A-1086 and 2T73R. of these only the 2N168A seems to be a Germanium type. 2N1068 is a silicone type apparantly.

Checking the hfe listed for some of these transistors shows the 2SC73 as having a hfe of approximately 50. I wonder how accurate this data is?

Hope someone else can come with better suggestions, I do not have many Germainium transistor in my spares collection.
Old 5th Feb 2013, 3:28 pm   #5
newlite4
Octode

Nice one Anthony, I nipped home lunchtime and fitted a BC107 in the frequency converter position and it fired up first time with room filling sound! It appears that the original suspect 2SC73 had been refitted incorrectly (C-E E-C) in an attempt to fix the original fault that I cleared last night - shorted tuning cap vanes.
Thanks all,
Neil
Old 5th Feb 2013, 9:30 pm   #6
Anthony Thomas
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlite4 View Post
Nice one Anthony, I nipped home lunchtime and fitted a BC107 in the frequency converter position and it fired up first time with room filling sound! It appears that the original suspect 2SC73 had been refitted incorrectly (C-E E-C) in an attempt to fix the original fault that I cleared last night - shorted tuning cap vanes.
Thanks all,
Neil
All's well that ends well Neil!

I wonder how many times attempts at repairs have totally backfired?

Quite often the collector is well marked on transistors either by a colour spot, spacing away from the base and emitter or other means. I always make small drawings of how things are before I strip down the set for changing of a faulty part, it is not allways the replacement part is identicle in configuration.

Tony
Old 6th Feb 2013, 8:04 am   #7
don200002
Pentode

I wonder if the original would sill work if refitted in the correct orientation, especially now you have found the original fault, some of those germanium transistors were quite hardy.
Don,
Old 6th Feb 2013, 10:25 am   #8
newlite4
Octode

Hello Don, no, I did try that and the mixer-oscillator stage would not oscillate. Although it checked out OK on the Peak analyser, there was some reverse leakage visible when tested on the LED type tester. I can only suspect that the combination of age and a period of reverse biasing had taken their toll. These repairs can certainly be made more complex when someone else has been in there first and "had a go".
Neil
Old 6th Feb 2013, 11:39 am   #9
don200002
Pentode

Hi Neil,
I agree, during my time in the workshop many an hour was wasted due to the "phantom knob twiddler" but I suppose we all have to learn somewhere, in fact, just by reading the posts in this forum I tend to learn something new every day.
Well done with the repair.
Don.
Old 8th Feb 2013, 8:53 pm   #10
jonnybear
Octode

When I was working in the trade, we used to call them Thrombosis Finger, (clot with finger trouble), Two germanium NPN replacements according to Towers update 5 is asy28, 2N1306 if that helps.
Old 9th Feb 2013, 10:32 am   #11
westcliff
Hexode

The information I found states that 2SC73 can be replaced by ASY28, 2N1304 and GT122A.

Gus.
Closed Thread