UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Dec 2011, 1:10 pm   #1
Glowsindark
Retired Dormant Member

Question Kb 425

I'm in need of some advice again guys/gals.

When I got this radio I didn't turn it on because some of the wiring looked bad, plus I didn't know what it was like under the chassis.

So I have replaced a few wires, but while the chassis was out I replaced a few resistors as some where way out of tolerance. All caps apart from two mica looking caps had been changed already.

Now for the problem. When it's turned on there is no stations or static.

It's not all bad, some parts are working OK.

When the valves warm up the volume control does change the volume coming from the speaker, you need to put your ear to the speaker to hear it. The tone control also changes the tone. A loud pop comes from the speaker when the band switch is changed. When turning the tuner control it did tune in the power supply of a Apple mac sat next to it.

My dad was the last owner of this radio, he said it worked but didn't work well. He said LW was OK but on MW half of the tuning was dead, no stations or static.

So does this sound like the radio just needs realigning?
Old 22nd Dec 2011, 7:00 pm   #2
PJL
Dekatron

Default Re: Kb 425

Hi, are you working off trader 102? You need to measure the valve voltages and compare with the trader but make sure you have a thoroughly clean wavechange switch first.
Old 22nd Dec 2011, 8:03 pm   #3
Glowsindark
Retired Dormant Member

Hi PJL.

Yes Trader sheet 102 is what I have here. Band switch was cleaned with Servisol and a cotton bud when the chassis was out.

I'll check the voltages tonight.

Since I posted I have connected an AVO signal generator up to the antenna socket as in part 2 of the alignment on the trader sheet just to see what would happen. I get a loud tone from the speaker if it helps.
Old 22nd Dec 2011, 8:07 pm   #4
Cobaltblue

Hi Glows

As I don't know how much experience you have please don't feel offended but have you got an Aerial plugged in?

10 feet or so of wire should get the stronger stations.

Enjoy

Mike T
Old 22nd Dec 2011, 8:51 pm   #5
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: Kb 425

Hi,
Yes, I forgot an aerial once. I was given a Murphy A122 when I was but a kid. Although it seemed to be OK with valves glowing merrily (the ones that the metallising had fallen off anyway), it stubbornly refused to pull in any stations. After a while, the penny dropped and I attached an old length of flex then hung it out of the window (the flex, not the radio). Et voila! most of the world's languages were suddenly vying for room in my loudspeaker! Aye, 'tis an easy thing to forget.
Cheers, Pete
Old 4th Jan 2012, 9:43 pm   #6
Glowsindark
Retired Dormant Member

Sorry for late reply, been to busy to do any work on the radio.

This radio has a frame aerial but I did try some wire, still no stations

Will post back when I have checked the voltages.

Don't worry about offending me, I don't know much about fault finding. I'm just starting out in the hobby really.

Thanks for the advice so far
Old 5th Jan 2012, 1:00 am   #7
Steve_P
Dekatron

The service sheet for this set is available on this very site. The cost keeps the forum running...

http://www.service-data.com/product.php/3161/4060

Anyway, if it's doing something when the wavechange switch is turned, then the IF's are doing something and going off what your dad said, it's probably all linked to the first stage, V1 or Frequency Changer V2.

Start by cleaning the wavechange switch fully and make sure the tuning capacitors are not shorting out. Meter on Ohms range, Negative to earth, disconnect L2, L6 and then red on the junction of C4 and C5, then on L2 at the valve end, or on the valve itself, Follow the wiring through. There are trimmers attached to the tuning cap, check these too. Especially if they have been touched...

Check each section and don't forget to put the wires back!

If these are OK, with the radio on and warmed up, use another set to try and pick up the local oscillator. If you tune the faulty set to 200 Metres (About 1.5 Mhz) you should be able to pick up the IF on 218 Metres (1.370 Mhz) on the test set.

(130 kHz IF)

If it's not there, try measuring the volts on V2. You should get HT on the Anode, G5 and 3 (One Pin) and G2. Also the cathode.

If it is, try connecting your Aerial to either side of C5 and see if you get anything. If you do, go to V1 and check for volts on the anode, screen and cathode.

V2 is here: http://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_15d1.html
V1 is here: http://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_9d2.html

Voltages are DC and the negative lead of the meter stays on the chassis.

I hope the coils are OK.

Cheers,

Steve P.

Last edited by Steve_P; 5th Jan 2012 at 1:14 am.
Closed Thread