UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 1st Apr 2010, 8:30 pm   #1
richwk1
Retired Dormant Member

Default Correct wiring fo 700 series Handset

Hi everyone could somebody provide me with the correct wiring colors for 700 series handsets i have done many but recently have had a few in that are wired the complete opposite the the way i normally do it. Now i am wondering have i done them correctly in the past. I normally do the earpiece looking at it with the terminals at the bottom red to the left terminal and green to the right.
I do the microphone looking at it with the terminals at the top white to the left and blue to the right is this correct or doesn't it make a difference. Opinions as always much appreciated.
Rich
Old 1st Apr 2010, 9:02 pm   #2
Station X

Default Re: Correct wiring fo 700 series Handset

It does not matter which way you connect the wires. Red and green to receiver. White and blue to the transmitter/mic.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 1st Apr 2010, 9:04 pm   #3
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Doesn't make a ha'porth of difference. Red / green to receiver (there should only be AC on it anyway); blue / white to mic. It's just a carbon-filled variable resistor after all, and the type 21 electret insert has a bridge rectifier across the input so polarity isn't important.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 1st Apr 2010, 9:13 pm   #4
richwk1
Retired Dormant Member

Guys as always thanks for info. Its pretty much what i thought but i do have a bad habit of second guessing myself. I very much appreciate everyone that takes the time to help and advise, you all make my hobby the enjoyable pass time it should be.

Best Regards Rich
Closed Thread