UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Nov 2019, 2:08 pm   #1
pepmin 1
Pentode

Default Sanyo M2000G

Hi. Looking for advice on this Sanyo cassette recorder. I bought this as a young boy in 1972 for the princely sum of £35.15p. I know this because I still have the payment book from Currys where it states I was paying 60p a week. A lot of money to me back then and paid from my paper round wages. I have dug it out from the loft and fitted a new drive belt and generally cleaned it up. It plays well and to my ears at the correct speed. It has issues with the recording side of things though. It records clear and loud but does not totally erase the previous recording, Also when recording it also plays it through its own speaker while doing this. Is that normal ? I should say that the microphone has long gone and I was recording through an old pair of earphones. The other question I have is about the 5 pin radio socket on the side of the recorder. If I were to buy a cable online with a 5 pin plug to 3.5 jack would this record direct from say a radio. I suspect the wiring of the plug may be different! Thanks in advance Colin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tape.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	194303   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tape 2.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	194304   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tape 3.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	194305  
Old 24th Nov 2019, 10:52 pm   #2
af024
Octode

Default Re: Sanyo M2000G

Funny you should ask about the unit playing during a recording. I had an Ekco machine of similar vintage (I forget the model now) that did exactly the same thing. I came to the conclusion that it was a design intent and that if you wanted to mute it, you had to switch the speaker off. All very strange I know.
Old 24th Nov 2019, 11:51 pm   #3
pepmin 1
Pentode

Default Re: Sanyo M2000G

Thanks for the reply. I did wonder if it was meant to do that but it is too long ago to remember if it did that or not back in the day. I wondered why there would be an on and off speaker switch and what the function of that might be. There is a socket on there for an external speaker and I was thinking maybe it was for disconnecting the internal speaker while playing through another one .
Closed Thread