UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 9th Oct 2015, 12:32 pm   #1
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Default BT Payphone 190

Hi all

Just been in the ‘Stores’ and come across a brand new BT Payphone 190. Got no info on it other than what is on Bob F’s website http://www.britishtelephones.com/bt/pay190.htm It was the first payphone that BT ever sold outright.

I’ve found a bit of programming info on a ‘Phone Phreaking’ website http://www.darkfall.demon.co.uk/fall...ak/!md-pay.htm but sadly it doesn’t cover all the programming of the payphone.

There are two versions – the SPM (Subs Private Metering) version and the SC (Self Contained) version. However there isn’t anything which indicates which version I’ve got. It appears to date from 1993 judging by the ‘93/29’ on one small label – Week 29 of 1993 ? . But another label just has ‘Payphone 190’ on it – no indication of the version.

Anyone got the programming manual or details which could help setting it up ? It doesn’t seem to like the only ‘new’ size 10p coin I've got or either of the two 50p coins I’ve got . Accepts 20p and pound coins OK.

Ian
Old 9th Oct 2015, 12:45 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: BT Payphone 190

Interesting. Looks like the Vanguard of the same period: http://www.britishtelephones.com/t4001.htm
Old 9th Oct 2015, 4:08 pm   #3
Dave Moll
Dekatron

I'm a little surprised that it doesn't accept the modern (smaller) 10p coin, as this was reduced in size in 1992, following the 5p's reduction in 1990. The 50p coin, however, wasn't shrunk until 1997, so I wouldn't expect a payphone of this vintage to recognise a modern one.
Old 9th Oct 2015, 8:46 pm   #4
Pellseinydd
Heptode

The latest (smaller) 10ps are plated steel. I've got a pre-decimal A/B box that was in use until 1992 as it used the old 10p (2 shillings or Florin) - the sixpence and shilling/5p having long gone. It was as far as I know one of the last three pre-decimal A/B boxes still in use.

In the same way, a lot of the decimal A/B box mechanisms around will not use the modern 2p coin without modification as it is a plated steel coin and is thicker than the old bronze ones which work OK. Hence my collection of old bronze 2p coins - now worth more than 2p in scrap value!
Old 10th Oct 2015, 1:07 am   #5
julie_m
Dekatron

According to Bob's site, the standalone version has a "button A" which apparently is absent from the meter-pulse version (which knows when to start charging, because the exchange tells it).

Now you've got me wondering ..... How easy it would be to build a device to inject your own payphone metering pulses onto a PBX extension line?