UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 19th Apr 2011, 11:57 am   #1
newconverter
Retired Dormant Member

Default intermittent handset volume problem on 746

I am new to the forum, tried doing a search but couldn't find an answer to my problem.

I have a 746 that I bought already converted. There is an intermittent problem with the handset volume which sometimes drops to a really low volume mid conversation. If I move the whole telephone around (and at odd angles!) or give it a shake the volume sometimes rises again, which led me to wonder if it was a loose connection within the body of the telephone?

Any advice appreciated, I am completely new to this but am up for having a go at fixing it myself if anyone thinks that is possible.

Many thanks.
Old 19th Apr 2011, 12:08 pm   #2
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: intermittent handset volume problem on 746

Hi and welcome.

Which volume is effected? transmitter, receiver or both? Also, when the volume fluctuates is any crackling heard?
Old 19th Apr 2011, 12:23 pm   #3
Dave Moll
Dekatron

It would be worth opening up and ensuring that all the screw terminals (especially 1, 2, 3 and 10 - which go to the handset) are tight.
Old 19th Apr 2011, 2:05 pm   #4
newconverter
Retired Dormant Member

It is the receiver only – the person I am talking to can hear me clearly throughout. There are no crackles or anything – beyond the volume dropping my end the sound is crystal clear!

Will try opening up and checking the screw terminals and will let you know if that makes a difference.

Many thanks to you both for your helpful and prompt responses.
Old 19th Apr 2011, 3:27 pm   #5
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by newconverter View Post
It is the receiver only – the person I am talking to can hear me clearly throughout. There are no crackles or anything – beyond the volume dropping my end the sound is crystal clear!
Presumably the side-tone (a sniff of your own voice in your receiver) drops off as well?

You might have a dicky red or green core in the extensible handset cord, given that they get pulled around a lot (and strained) when in use. Try gently tugging and waggling at each end of the cord when listening.

Open up your receiver (unscrew the earpiece) and let the inset receiver fall into your hand. Are the connections sound? Are they touching? The metal conductors of this sort of cable are very flexible metal strands with nylon(?) wormings, and can easily break if they become detached from the spades.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Closed Thread