UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Dec 2021, 6:37 pm   #1
sentinel040
Hexode

Location: Near Lichfield, Staffordshire, UK, most of the time and Crystal Palace, S London, some of the time..
Default "That capacitor" bites back.

This infamous component and its ability to create electrical mayhem should need little introduction. However, it can still bring about the odd surprise.

Enter from stage right, an Ekco Princess portable (P63); a handful of years ago this was repaired and a number of leaky capacitors replaced, including "that one". It has since been used from time to time powered by stacks of dry batteries.

Next to enter the stage is an Amplion Convette, to replace one that died during my childhood experiments; not deliberately I hasten to add and I suspect its eventual demise with an o/c transformer primary was down to natural causes, allegedly.

The Convette was duly repaired (shorted LT rectifier and weak LT smoothers) and placed in the Princess, but the HT was rather low at circa 45V. Thinks, HT rectifier? No, the AC volts are also low. Measure HT current, at nearly 20mA, that's too high. Hmmm; why is the radio drawing too much? Why is there a positive voltage on the grid of the output valve?

Well would you believe it, the (by now almost) new grid coupling capacitor had gone leaky. The little blighter.... Had I continued to use it off batteries I may not have noticed this until something else gave up the ghost. An image of the culprit is attached and it is not a type I would have expected to pull this stunt.

I hope this helps others I some way.

Ian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_E2077.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	247671  
Old 11th Dec 2021, 6:57 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: "That capacitor" bites back.

It does happen now and then, presumably because of a manufacturing fault rather than through the aging process.
Old 11th Dec 2021, 8:16 pm   #3
line sync
Heptode

I had to read this a couple of times before i remembered that an Amplion Convette is a mains power supply that you can put in your battery set instead of buying batteries.
Not every body knows about these.

Robin
Old 11th Dec 2021, 10:44 pm   #4
Mitch-W
Tetrode

I had to repair a 1950s radio where "that" capacitor was replaced few years ago. The problem was that it sounded distorted. I noticed positive voltage on output valve grid which increased with valve removed. The culprit was the capacitor which was replaced, but the repairman used NOS paper caps from late 1960s. All of the replaced capacitors were becoming leaky (although they had much less leakage than caps from 1940/50s), so I did the full recap to be sure. The NOS caps looked identical to the newer style film caps, but they were in fact paper dipped in araldite.
Closed Thread