UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Sets, Parts and Service Information Offered (private sellers only, exact price required, no swaps)

Notices

Sets, Parts and Service Information Offered (private sellers only, exact price required, no swaps) You may announce components or sets for sale or offered free here. Private collectors only - no traders. You must include an exact price. No swaps.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Mar 2024, 2:59 pm   #1
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Roberts 'RT1' for sale.

I’ll be taking several Bakelite and woodie radios to the local auction house when they have their next ‘collectibles’ auction. I’ve found by experience that it’s the least hassle and the most cost-effective means of disposal. (Pop them in the boot, drive three miles, offload them, and wait for the cheque in due course).

Bakelite radios don’t travel well, woodies are bulky, and like Bakelite, they’re a hassle to pack and post, and risk damage in transit. (‘Buyer collects’, or' FCS' has rarely worked for me). If I take them to vintage radio events, the travel and accommodation costs, plus the risk of bringing them back home unsold, makes that a non-starter.

However, I do have a few transistor radios which I’ll first offer for sale on the forum and would be happy to post.

First off is a Roberts RT1, which was Roberts first transistor radio, launched in April 1958.

If it’s of interest to anyone, £12.00, complete with a replica ’PP8’ battery, (though no cells inside due to them being prohibited in transit). Unfortunately, the radio weighs in above the 2kG ‘small parcel’ limit, so postage via 2nd Class Royal Mail Parcel would be £7.00. It could be collected from my home to the west of Hull.

Please PM me your postal name and address if you'd like to buy it.
(PayPal f & f is fine after you receive it and are happy with it).

Good points about this offering:

It's all Mullard transistors: OC44, 2 x OC45, OC71, 2 x OC72, and an OA70 diode.

I’ve replaced the two 100uF electrolytic capacitors which were showing signs of corrosion, and the 8uF electrolytic too. I also replaced two of the four little ’Mouldseal’ 0.1uF caps, but having tested them for leakage at higher than their rated voltage, they showed no signs of leakage, so I left the other two in place.

It works fine on both MW and LW, (not that there’s much to listen to!).

At 6” high, 4.5” deep and 9.5” long, it’s larger than say the R200/R300, so it houses a nice sounding 4” diam Rola speaker.

The RT1 used a 6V battery, with provision for the smaller ‘PP1’, or the larger ’PP8’, both of which are long since obsolete. Hence, I made a replica PP8 battery from a scan. The replica houses a modern battery holder which takes four ‘C’ cells (AKA ‘MN14’) and comes with the radio.

Cosmetically, it’s in reasonable condition given its age, with no nasty scuffs. The turntable works fine, the grille isn’t dented, the knobs are undamaged and have their ‘brights’. The Roberts’ badge is undamaged but has lost its ‘chrome’ appearance.

Shortcomings:

The Strap: As with so many Roberts, the stitching on the strap has disintegrated, though the two red leather strips are still intact, as is the cream plastic strip.

The Dial: At the right-hand end of the dial, some of the lettering of station name 'Athlone', and 'Volume’ has faded.

Thanks for looking.

Please see pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RT1 angled view.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	295572   Click image for larger version

Name:	Inside View & replica battery.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	295573   Click image for larger version

Name:	RH end of tuning dial.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	295574   Click image for larger version

Name:	replica battery open.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	295577   Click image for larger version

Name:	Inner battery box.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	295579  

Old 29th Mar 2024, 4:13 pm   #2
tonydavies
Tetrode

Default Re: Roberts 'RT1' for sale.

hi, I'll take that off your hands. I'll send a PM

tony
Old 29th Mar 2024, 8:03 pm   #3
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Re: Roberts 'RT1' for sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydavies View Post
hi, I'll take that off your hands. I'll send a PM

tony
Thanks for your interest Tony - I'll respond to your PM.

The thread can be closed please.

Many thanks.
Closed Thread