UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Feb 2021, 11:02 pm   #1
Jimbo
Pentode

Default Best insulation for pcb wire links?

I purchased a box of insulated U shaped solid core wire links with pre-formed bends to suit 2.5mm, 5mm, 7.5mm, 10mm and so on leg spacings for making connections on the component side of printed circuit boards, hoping that they would make a neat appearance on the finished job.

However, I have been disappointed in that as soon as the heat from the soldered joint on the other side of the pcb reaches the insulation it shrinks back leaving the end portion of the wire exposed and nothing like as neat as I had hoped for.

I am using a thin solder and have adjusted the temperature of the soldering iron so that joint process, (apply heat, apply solder, remove solder, remove heat), for resistors/capacitors/semiconductors on 'Veroboard' sized tracks, takes about a couple of seconds, - I was brought up on germanium transistors and point contact diodes -so I don't think that I am cooking things too much!

What is the best insulation material to select for solid hook-up wire applications to eliminate or minimise this problem?

I would be grateful for any guidance.

Jim M0GJD
Old 25th Feb 2021, 11:09 pm   #2
Red to black
Nonode

Default Re: Best insulation for pcb wire links?

On PCBs I tend to use no insulation at all, just bare wire links.
On solderless prototyping boards I use the insulated type but we are not soldering those, I wonder if the type you have got are intended for the latter rather than the former

Ps. on PCBs I usually just use the off-cuts from used components for the bare links where possible.
Old 25th Feb 2021, 11:54 pm   #3
vinrads
Dekatron

Hi try a piece of silicone sleeve over the wire. Mick.
Old 25th Feb 2021, 11:58 pm   #4
factory
Octode

Look for some PTFE sleeving, we had a few sizes at work for using with solid tinned wire to repair larger blown PCB tracks, we used Kynar wire for smaller tracks.

David
Old 26th Feb 2021, 12:01 am   #5
Sound Man
Tetrode

Silicone rubber sleeving would be suitable. It is available in various sizes/colours.

David
Old 26th Feb 2021, 12:04 am   #6
Red to black
Nonode

The Op was talking about the component side rather than track side repairs though, although both are valid solutions, you tend to find that even well respected manufacturers used un-insulated links top side most of the time.
Old 26th Feb 2021, 1:10 pm   #7
factory
Octode

That was a quick reply last night, I have one size of PTFE sleeving & use it for multiple uses including; links for those boards that are double sided/multiple layer, repair links and for component leads on tag boards/strips in older equipment. I should point out I mostly work on vintage test equipment.

Here is an example from a HP 6255A PSU which required converting from 110V to 230V mains use, the board has fixed tracks for the 110V which required cutting and a link fitting for to connect the transformer windings in series, this was a tricky one to get to as the transformer connections should have been in the row of holes were the link was fitted (factory error).
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1976a.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	227704

The Kynar type wire I got from ebay was a bit disappointing compared with that which I used at work, it is a lot thinner than I expected, but still useable for track repair on TTL boards. If I remember correct I couldn't find short lengths in different colours at RS/Farnell, only larger rolls at higher cost which I would never have used much of.

David

Last edited by factory; 26th Feb 2021 at 1:39 pm.
Old 26th Feb 2021, 3:16 pm   #8
Jimbo
Pentode

Thank you all for your helpful comments and thoughts.

My choice to adopt insulated/covered wire on component side links of a pcb had been informed by seeing it used by other constructors of an identical design, [the BITX-20 transceiver for 14MHz SSB operation], and that others seemed to have made a decent fist of the job!

None of the links run close to other exposed elements, there are no high voltages, and once it's all in a box no-one will see them anyway so on this occasion I may well revert to plain tinned copper wire.

Thank you again for your thoughts.

Jim M0GJD
Old 26th Feb 2021, 5:28 pm   #9
Wendymott
Octode

Hi Jim...... I am an avid constructor, both ex pro and now amateur..... My pcb links are usually home made as the lengths can be arbitrary , but they come in two types...covered.. usually red to denote a power line, and non covered to be any other.. however if a link is near some component, due to my slack pcb design, I use pvc coated stiff TC wire but not Red...horses for courses really. PTFE sleeving can be useful, and also shrink sleeving .. which will shrink obviously when soldered.

Regards
Wendy G8BZY
Closed Thread