UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 24th May 2020, 12:24 pm   #1
Robsradio
Heptode

Default When did tuning dials change from Metres to kHz?

Hello
I have a couple of identical Bush clock radios with tuning fork movements from the 70s, one is marked up in Metres and the other in KHz, was there a legislation that made this change necessary, any idea what year it may have been?
I assume that KHz replaced Metres as I remember Radio 1 as 247m and then went to 275/285m don’t ever remember it referred to in KHz.
Any thoughts
Regards
Rob
Old 24th May 2020, 12:58 pm   #2
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: When did tuning dials change from M to KHz?

I don't think there ever has been legislation. Manufacturers are free to mark radio dials in whatever units they fancy.

Radio 1 had plugged '247' to the hilt as a sort of brand. Locked into their target audience's group memory, they weren't going to change it.

Of course, converting the advertised and marked wavelengths to Hertz will make everything more modern, thrusting, youthful.. essential for any station that's 'where it's at' or for being carried by those at the cutting edge. But 247 (and 208 just as much if not more) were locked in.

Quintessentially British Radio 4, but everyone knows it's still the Home Service, despite the name change, on 4921 feet, 3 inches.

Really deep stuff on radio three, (who at least got to keep their number 3 ) at 253 and a half fathoms.

I think you need to look at what the dials were marked in and when different models changed. It's complicated by how the stations pushed themselves. When the Beeb mentions measurements, they are still inclined to convert them into London buses or olympic swimming pools.

David
Old 24th May 2020, 1:05 pm   #3
paulsherwin

There was a gradual shift from the mid 60s to the early 80s. The change seems to have been initiated by the import of Japanese and Hong Kong sets designed for a global market.
Old 24th May 2020, 1:29 pm   #4

Quote:
designed for a global market.
Isn't the metre global? Odd to think we (UK) used metres well before metrication when quite a lot of the world was metric.

Old 24th May 2020, 1:33 pm   #5
paulsherwin

Of course, but most of the world adopted frequencies rather than wavelengths quite early under American influence. Globally, wavelengths hung on longest in the SW 'metre bands'.
Old 24th May 2020, 2:23 pm   #6
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Default Re: When did tuning dials change from Metres to kHz?

Once electromagnetic waves go beyond the radio spectrum, wavelength then comes back into its own, this time in microns, nanometres et al (presumably because frequencies become unwieldy beyond the GHz range) - that is until you get to the really high end stuff where photon energies (in multiples of the electron volt) take over.
Old 24th May 2020, 2:30 pm   #7
KeithsTV
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
When the Beeb mentions measurements, they are still inclined to convert them into London buses or olympic swimming pools.
So Radio 4 Long Wave is on 135 London buses

Keith
Old 24th May 2020, 3:03 pm   #8
Radio Wrangler

The occupied bandwidth of a modulated radio station is fixed if seen in frequency terms, irrespective of the frequency/wavelength of the carrier.

So a band filled with stations, each just clear of its neighbours would naturally place them on equal increments of frequency, but on a reciprocal scale of wavelengths. So, the frequency-centric view is the most logical choice.

Metres came along because it was easier to measure the lengths standing waves in a traceably accurate way than it was to directly measure frequency. So wavelengths made sense in the beginning, then frequency took over.

If I design a superhet in frequency terms, I'd know the wanted signal would maintain the same bandwidth and spectrum whatever IFs it passed through. I'd hate to have to do it in wavelengths, especially before the pocket calculator. I'd have to get my slide-rule out.

Interestingly, the set dial may be marked in metres, but the maker's service info told you the IF in kilocycles! They knew which side the bread was buttered.

David
Old 24th May 2020, 3:35 pm   #9
ekjdm14
Banned

Another one for the experts, when did Hertz replace Cycles/second as the preferred terminology for units of frequency? Have to say, I prefer the frequency system over wavelength also but mainly because when I was growing up frequency-centric was the norm so never really considered wavelength until I got into vintage electronics! Although when it comes to those frequencies, I like to refer to them in Kc/s, Mc/s etc rather than KHz or MHz. I just like the way it looks in writing more...
Old 24th May 2020, 3:40 pm   #10
Dave Moll
Dekatron

According to Wikipedia, the Hertz was established by the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) in 1930. It was adopted by the General Conference on Weights and Measures (CGPM) (Conférence générale des poids et mesures) in 1960, replacing the previous name for the unit, cycles per second (cps).
Old 24th May 2020, 4:55 pm   #11
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Quintessentially British Radio 4, but everyone knows it's still the Home Service, despite the name change, on 4921 feet, 3 inches.
And its brow height has increased by 69 feet 8 and a half inches, too.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 24th May 2020, 7:51 pm   #12
Boulevardier
Octode

Quote:
For me, it will always be the Light Programme - R4 is relatively an upstart newcomer on 200 (OK, 198)kc/s.

I too prefer "cycles per second" to Hertz. As a word Hertz is meaningless, whereas c.p.s is totally self-explanatory (provided you are a reasonable person and speak the lingua franca).

Mike
Old 24th May 2020, 7:54 pm   #13
Radio Wrangler

I think Hertz replaced cycles per second about the same time pounds replaced guineas in their prices. There wasn't a sharp change.

David
Old 24th May 2020, 8:09 pm   #14
bluepilot
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulevardier View Post
I too prefer "cycles per second" to Hertz. As a word Hertz is meaningless
Hmm well, come to that so are Volt(a), Amp(ere), Watt, Ohm, Farad(ay), Henry, and a few others.

The golden age is always yesterday - Asa Briggs
Old 24th May 2020, 9:17 pm   #15
Paul_RK
Dekatron

I've mentioned it here before, so apologies to longer serving forum members for the repetition, but small manufacturer Pegasus, of Leeds, for some reason in the mid-'30s marketed sets with tuning scales marked only in kilocycles (/sec.). I don't know whether the feature contributed to the company's demise, but unless there's something I've not thought of it must have proved a significant impediment to sales. The sets weren't thirty-odd years ahead of their time in any other respect.

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pegasus.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	206696  
Old 24th May 2020, 9:23 pm   #16
kalee20
Dekatron

Quote:
For me, it will always be the Light Programme - R4 is relatively an upstart newcomer on 200 (OK, 198)kc/s.
My Ever-Ready 5033, pre-war, has the LW scale marked 'Droitwich.'

They future-proofed it against the 1978 station shuffle.
Old 24th May 2020, 9:26 pm   #17
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

I was an avid shortwave listener in the broadcast bands in the mid to late 60s. I think the first station I heard change to Hz in their station announcements was the Swiss SBC (later to become SRI). The station I remember hanging on doggedly to c/s was Radio Moscow, and Mike (post #12) will be pleased to hear they always said it in full, "Megacycles per second".

Small Japanese transistor radios were invariably marked 55 - 16, exactly what that was intended to convey alluded me for some time!

Last edited by Graham G3ZVT; 24th May 2020 at 9:40 pm.
Old 24th May 2020, 10:18 pm   #18
Boulevardier
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepilot View Post
Quote:
I too prefer "cycles per second" to Hertz. As a word Hertz is meaningless
Hmm well, come to that so are Volt(a), Amp(ere), Watt, Ohm, Farad(ay), Henry, and a few others.
But there may be a good reason for that - do you fancy substituting “the potential difference between two points on a conductor carrying a current of 1 Ampere when the power dissipated between those two points is 1 Watt” every time you mention a Volt? Conversely, "cycles per second" is brief and contains it’s own definition.
Similarly, in normal circumstances, we don’t have a unit for “kilometres per hour”, nor do we need one.

Mike

Last edited by Boulevardier; 24th May 2020 at 10:26 pm.
Old 24th May 2020, 10:49 pm   #19
Richard_FM
Nonode

My Fidelity Rad 24 has a scale in metres but the BBC radio stations are marked on the 1978 frequencies.

The Radio 1 jingles were still quoting metres (275 & 285) until about 1984.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2071.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	206704  
Old 24th May 2020, 11:25 pm   #20
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Quote:
...we don’t have a unit for “kilometres per hour”, nor do we need one....
But we do have a unit for a "nautical mile per hour" - the knot.

I have a 1973 Philips RL230 radio with dials marked up in kHz, although also carrying the legend GO and PO (Grandes Ondes and Petites Ondes) as well as LW and MW respectively.

There is only one correct way of abbreviating "Hertz" and that's Hz, whereas I've seen "cycles per second" abbreviated variously as CPS, C.P.S., cps, c/s, C/S and probably others.

I can remember Practical Wireless announcing formally that its policy would be to adopt the Hertz, which must have been in the very late 60s or early 70s but I can't be sure.

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts

Last edited by Phil G4SPZ; 24th May 2020 at 11:28 pm. Reason: Line spacing
Closed Thread