UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 20th May 2020, 12:46 pm   #1
John Earland
Hexode

Default Bush DAC 90a loud hum

Hi everyone,
I hope you can help. I have a a lovely Bush Radi0 - DAC 90A and it gives a lovely glow and rich sound. However, there is a loud hum which gets drowned out if I turn the volume up but is constantly there.

I have replaced the Caps so I am guessing its at least one of the valves? Without replacing them all, would anyone know how I could test to see if they are working properly? They all glow but I've been told that doesn't matter. I only have a multimeter in my arsenal - awaiting delivery of an oscilloscope.

I may need to replace more caps so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best wishes,
John
Old 20th May 2020, 12:53 pm   #2
pip5678
Pentode

Default Re: Bush DAC 90a loud hum

UL 41 valve is often a suspect, some info in this thread below (and others) re pin 4 modification which may help and is easy to try.
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=150751
Old 20th May 2020, 1:34 pm   #3
cathoderay57
Nonode

Hi John, which caps have you actually replaced? Be careful with the live chassis and using the multimeter measure the dc voltage on pin 6 (grid 1) of the UL41. Cheers, Jerry
Old 20th May 2020, 1:56 pm   #4
John Earland
Hexode

Thanks everyone - I will check those out. Really helpful. I've replaced 5x 0.05uf and 2x0.01uf and also the 'X' cap? I saw it somewhere that this one goes so replaced it. Also the smoothing capacitors 32-16 (350V). I think that's all. I did this a long time ago and always meant to try to get rid of the hum but only now have I found some time!

Best wishes,
John
Old 20th May 2020, 1:57 pm   #5
John Earland
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathoderay57 View Post
Hi John, which caps have you actually replaced? Be careful with the live chassis and using the multimeter measure the dc voltage on pin 6 (grid 1) of the UL41. Cheers, Jerry
Hi - what should I be getting on the pin? J
Old 20th May 2020, 3:09 pm   #6
cathoderay57
Nonode

Hi John, measured with respect to chassis you should be getting approx zero volts - however, the UL41 suspect faults alluded to in Post #2 can include leakage across the electrodes internally to the valve that can lead to positive volts on the grid. If you have changed C18, the 0.01uF grid coupling capacitor, it should not be leaking therefore any positive volts on the grid can indicate a duff UL41 and possibly a cause of hum. Also worth checking the routing of the wiring and capacitors attached to the volume control. If audio leads or coupling capacitors are close to mains wires this can result in 50Hz hum pickup. Just carefully moving them can reduce the hum level.

Last edited by cathoderay57; 20th May 2020 at 3:14 pm.
Old 20th May 2020, 3:44 pm   #7
John Earland
Hexode

That's great advice. Thank you. I'll double check.
Best wishes, John
Old 20th May 2020, 5:35 pm   #8
kalee20
Dekatron

Maybe easier - short grid (Pin 6) of the UL41 to chassis. Everything should go quiet.

Next, short grid (Pin 3) of UBC41 to chassis. Everything again should go quiet.

If the UL41 short doesn't make it quiet, fault is in the UL41. If the UL41 short makes it quiet and so does the UBC41 short, fault may be in grid circuit of UBC41, or leakage to the diode anodes in UBC41.

That's all assuming that the HT line is ripple-free - I see you have changed the HT electrolytics. But make sure the common negative connection is OK.
Old 20th May 2020, 8:55 pm   #9
cathoderay57
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Earland View Post
awaiting delivery of an oscilloscope.
Not wishing to teach granny to suck eggs but be careful when you get the scope if you're intending to use it on the DAC90A - simply because the screen on the scope's signal input cable is most likely connected to the scope's chassis and therefore almost certainly earthed, whereas the DAC90A chassis will be at mains neutral or live potential depending on how you have wired the mains lead! Cheers, Jerry
Old 21st May 2020, 8:06 am   #10
cathoderay57
Nonode

As a follow-up to Post #9 you can use the scope safely providing that you power up the DAC90A via a 230v mains isolating transformer.
Old 21st May 2020, 8:10 am   #11
John Earland
Hexode

Yes! When I got the radio I didn't twig the fact that it was a metal chassis-I am always fearful of metal and electricity. So the first time I plugged it in I was just about the move it when I thought-I’m just going to check and it was indeed live!
Old 21st May 2020, 8:12 am   #12
John Earland
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalee20 View Post
Maybe easier - short grid (Pin 6) of the UL41 to chassis. Everything should go quiet.

Next, short grid (Pin 3) of UBC41 to chassis. Everything again should go quiet.

If the UL41 short doesn't make it quiet, fault is in the UL41. If the UL41 short makes it quiet and so does the UBC41 short, fault may be in grid circuit of UBC41, or leakage to the diode anodes in UBC41.

That's all assuming that the HT line is ripple-free - I see you have changed the HT electrolytics. But make sure the common negative connection is OK.
When you say ‘short’ do you mean place a wire from the pin the chassis?
Old 21st May 2020, 8:50 am   #13
cathoderay57
Nonode

Hi John, yes, that's what kalee20 meant. If you are careful and keep one hand in your pocket and use the other to hold the insulated handle of a screwdriver you should be able to use the screwdriver blade to temporarily short circuit the pin to chassis and listen to see if hum disappears. You don't need to solder a wire on.
Old 21st May 2020, 10:12 am   #14
kalee20
Dekatron

Exactly as cathoderay57 says! (thanks!)
Old 21st May 2020, 6:13 pm   #15
cathoderay57
Nonode

John, one last thought - if you are unsure of the UL41 pin configuration make sure to look it up. If you short the wrong pin to chassis you could rupture one or more of the valve heaters! Cheers, Jerry
Old 22nd May 2020, 2:28 pm   #16
John Earland
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathoderay57 View Post
John, one last thought - if you are unsure of the UL41 pin configuration make sure to look it up. If you short the wrong pin to chassis you could rupture one or more of the valve heaters! Cheers, Jerry
Hi, that's great - thank you. I will look that up because I dont know the numbering! All new to me this bit. Many thanks.John
Old 22nd May 2020, 5:02 pm   #17
cathoderay57
Nonode

OK. Pin numbering is viewed from underneath as shown here http://www.r-type.org/static/baseb8a.htm
Old 24th May 2020, 9:01 am   #18
John Earland
Hexode

Thanks everyone for all your help. It was indeed the UL41-I replaced it and hey presto! The hum sound has vanished! Many thanks for all your advice and guidance.
Old 24th May 2020, 11:16 am   #19
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Pleased you got it sorted. Some valve holders may if your are lucky have the pin numbers printed next to the solder tags if you look closely. The Ever Ready battery set on my bench at the moment has them marked. But I needed a magnifying glass to see them.

John.
Old 24th May 2020, 7:03 pm   #20
Sideband
Dekatron

UL 41's are rare and expensive. You might be able to fix the old one by burning off the residue inside the glass around the pins. You need a high voltage to do it (around 1,500V at several milliamps). Join the two heater pins together (1 & 8) and then apply the voltage across any two pins (except 1 & 8 of course). The idea is to 'arc' the internal deposits away that are causing the leakage. I have seen a device made up from an old camera flash unit which seemed to do the job quite well.