UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 18th May 2020, 9:14 am   #1
nokicky
Diode

Default Sony KV-1810UB MK-II

In a relative's house I found a Sony KV-1810UB MK-II.

It still works very very well, the only thing I noticed was a cluster of black spots on the bottom right of the screen.

I'd be interested to know a little about it.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0065.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	206129  
Old 18th May 2020, 10:05 am   #2
toshiba tony
Heptode

Default Re: Sony KV-1810UB MK-II

An 1810, watch those GCS's, you are lucky. Looking into your issue, know them well(ish)
Old 19th May 2020, 9:09 am   #3
dazzlevision
Dekatron

I think this was the first Sony TV to be assembled in Sony’s new plant in Bridgend, South Wales. It used some non-Japanese parts, such as a Mullard varicap tuner and a Goodmans loudspeaker (IIRC).
Old 19th May 2020, 9:46 am   #4
simpsons
Octode

What a find. I have one of these as well and now I know the stand it once had!

To your question. The black spots are caused by what must be moisture ingress between the bonded CRT faceplate and implosion guard from which mould then grows.

I have it to a slight degree on a another KV1810 display and some while ago a Sony 32HD Broadcast Monitor was for sale on Ebay which had the same problem. The seller in this instance suggesting that the implosion guard could be removed. Oh yes!

This is not to say that the home the set was used in suffered from high humidity but possibly a manufacturing defect. Who knows

From the screen shot it isn't possible to see how bad your contamination is so I hope that at least it doesn't get worse.

There are some issues regarding the reliability of the set which can be simply made good subject to your skills. It requires some preventative maintenance, replacing some electrolytic capacitors and most importantly, keeping the on/off switch mechanism in good working order. As your set is working, once done it should, in the usual SONY tradition, give years of service.

Should you feel confident in changing some of the known troublesome components, I can forward details and links to our own Sony experts threads on this site.

Chris
Old 20th May 2020, 5:27 pm   #5
Maarten
Dekatron

I'm surprised at the presence of glued on implosion guards in Sony sets, especially in case of the 32" HD one (I've never seen a KV1810UB MKII so can't comment about that one).
Old 20th May 2020, 5:55 pm   #6
simpsons
Octode

Maarten

I stand to be corrected.

It is a tricky one here as the black spots are certainly behind the faceplate of the CRT and whilst later monitor tubes had Anti Reflective coating on the faceplate, I am sure that the 18" KV1810 isn't one of them.

I have seen the black spots and they are not "get at able" so, unless they are inside the bulb of the CRT, I cannot find another explaination.

Chris

Last edited by simpsons; 20th May 2020 at 6:01 pm.
Old 20th May 2020, 6:52 pm   #7
jhalphen
Hexode

Hi to all,

@NoKicky : same topic (Trinitron spots) on US forum VideoKarma in 2012, see here :

http://www.videokarma.org/showthread...pots+Trinitron

Photos included for non-VK users.

Does yours look like this ?

Best Regards
jhalphen
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ED655670-F226-458B-A432-3823E4952C85.jpeg
Views:	176
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	206304   Click image for larger version

Name:	9BB47CFC-AA83-4568-B4CB-EC82FA1A98DE.jpeg
Views:	161
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	206305   Click image for larger version

Name:	934B2FA4-CBCD-40CB-A1D2-9793FEDDAD78.jpeg
Views:	164
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	206306  
Old 20th May 2020, 7:20 pm   #8
Kyle__B
Banned

Exactly how glued on are we talking? Bit of warm water and a stanley knife, or?
Old 20th May 2020, 9:54 pm   #9
simpsons
Octode

Well, well, thank you JHalphen; those are exactly the black pots I've seen on the CRT and also the answer. Hmm. An acrylic sheet bonded to the CRT faceplate to act as an Anti Reflective filter but not as an implosion guard.

I'm not too sure if I'll try to see if the faceplate scratches though!!

Chris
Old 21st May 2020, 1:28 am   #10
Refugee
Dekatron

If it is just a bit of sticky backed plastic it will be a lot brighter after "peeling" it.
I did a VGA screen with a Sony tube due to a scratch. It also generated a lot of static so be aware of that if switching on or off.
Old 22nd May 2020, 9:10 pm   #11
simpsons
Octode

OK I've been able to look again at the faceplate of the KV1810 Trinitron CRT and it is glass, not acrylic. This doesn't mean that monitor Trinitrons haven't used a plastic AR at sometime in such designs, but not this one.

So, back to the drawing board. N'est-ce pas?

Chris
Old 15th Jun 2020, 5:55 pm   #12
simpsons
Octode

Patience is a virtue and at long last I have replaced my spotty 18" 114 degree Trinitron CRT with one from a donor set. The image performance is now as good as new measuring just under 150cd/m2 at full "Picture" on illumiance C white, the old tube just managed 100cd/m2.

Having removed the old one I thought that I'd see if the faceplate was bonded or not. The giveaway was the use of clear adhesive tape along the edge of the CRT overlapping the faceplate

Optically clear silicon has been applied over the face of the CRT and this secures what I can confirm is clear glass.

It is possible to dig out the silicon but the silicon then becomes opaque which is worse than the black spots.

It may be possible to remove the faceplate. Given the tube feature a rim guard I'm not sure its purpose except to maybe mask the phosphor strips.

Chris
Old 15th Jun 2020, 6:56 pm   #13
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Do not thinking of removing that rim guard as high risk of implosion.
Old 15th Jun 2020, 9:20 pm   #14
simpsons
Octode

Thanks Hamish for that very important advice.

From my perspective. I have no further interest in removing the glass faceplate. Indeed, similar to self adhesive mirrors. the bonding between the substrate and faceplat will make it almost impossible to separate them.

Chris
Closed Thread