UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Aug 2010, 8:42 am   #1
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default BVWS Auction Results?

On the BVWS website there are some excellent pics of the lots entered at BVWS Auctions at Harpenden and Wooton Bassett, including the most recent one at Wooton Bassett in June 2010. However, the most recent list of prices which lots attained is for October 2008 at Harpy.

Having attended the June 2010 Auction at Harpy, I can only begin to imagine the work put in by a small number of volunteers, who have to travel there - perhaps stay overnight, to hire the hall, book in and arrange the lots for viewing, auction them off, recored the reulsts, collect and distribute the cash, clear away, deal with any unsold lots, then go home weary!

Hence, I hope it doesn't sound like I'm asking for the moon on a stick, but I wondered if it's possible to update the auction results to show the more recent ones so that we can get a rough guide as to what various items that we'd perhaps have liked to bid for had we attended, attained?

I'm moved to make this request as at I've just seen a pic of a Trio 9R59DS receiver at the most recent Wooton Bassett auction, which brought back happy memories. It was my first 'communications' receiver, which looked the part, but inside was simply a nicely made standard valved single superhet general coverage radio.

There was a series of articles in Radio Constructor to modify and improve the performance of this set, including a crystal calibrator, for which oddly, the valeholder (and I think the crystal holder) was present, but the calibrator components weren't. I made most of the mods, but in the end, the set had to go as it was rather too large, and the performance didn't match its size. As it didn't have a built-in speaker, it had to have an external one, of which there was a matching one available.

For all that, had I been at Wooton Bassett, nostalgia might have triumphed over common sense, and I may well have been tempted to bid for that very nice clean example, that looked as though it had spent most of its 40 years or so life in a box.

Many thanks to all involved in the auctions!

David
Old 29th Aug 2010, 12:41 pm   #2
ekcobeach
Rest in Peace

Default Re: BVWS Auction Results?

Hi David, I actually bought that particular radio but was not that impressed with it's performance. I fitted an internal speaker and sold it on ebay. I think the dial cord had been restrung at some time and it did not feel right at all. The tuning kept locking up. I think maybe you had a lucky escape, unless you like restringing. Colin.
Old 29th Aug 2010, 6:04 pm   #3
Paul Stenning
Administrator

I've emailed Mike Barker requesting the auction results for the rest of the auctions to date, and will add them when I get them.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 29th Aug 2010, 10:16 pm   #4
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Many thanks Paul.

David.

(BVWS Member)
Closed Thread