UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 10th May 2010, 10:01 am   #21
Tazman1966
Nonode

Default Re: NVCF 2010 - Thanks to all!

It was a good day out and nice to catch up with faces old and new. I promised myself that I'd be a bit more methodical in my "sweep" of the hall but didn't and reckon I missed some stuff! All my forum exchanges went well too and the car was lighter on the way back. Apart form some components, I only came away with one transistor radio - a Murphy B818 just like my nan used to have.

Thanks go to the organisers of the event and I really do like the venue too.

Well done everyone
Old 10th May 2010, 10:32 am   #22
GMB
Dekatron

Quote:
Initial figures suggest that numbers were a bit down on last year
That's a surpise because as usual I turned up somewhat late, but in spite of that was still confronted by a huge queue going right round the building, and the car park seemed fuller than last year too.

Unfortuantely I had to do the event at lightning speed as the wife came too but was off walking down the canal and expecting me to join her by lunch time.

Could have done without the megga-jam on the M40 though!
Old 10th May 2010, 10:35 am   #23
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke_Nukem View Post
There was a huge queue to get in - almost off-putting - but it was surprising just how quickly the queue got in to the hall, seemed very quick.
I believe Jeremy and/or Jim sold entry wristbands to people in the queue before normal opening time which speeded up the entry considerably as people could go straight in at 10:30 rather than waiting to pay.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 10th May 2010, 10:39 am   #24
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB View Post
Quote:
Initial figures suggest that numbers were a bit down on last year
That's a surpise because as usual I turned up somewhat late, but in spite of that was still confronted by a huge queue going right round the building, and the car park seemed fuller than last year too.
I think people stayed longer (and hopefully bought more) as there were more stalls to see, and the radiogram display. It certainly seemed busier all day, and there seemed to be more people in the hall and cars in the car park at 4pm when it closed to the public.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 10th May 2010, 10:51 am   #25
dominicbeesley
Octode

The French lads looked to have the right idea! They turned up fairly early for a good look round then had a nice picnic with beer and wine before going back for bargains at the end!

The radiograms were very interesting - and sounded brilliant.

Dom
Old 10th May 2010, 12:05 pm   #26
mhennessy
Dekatron

My first time

A massive apology to the people who were expecting to see me at mid-day at the Bring & Buy stall, as you know we had some minor navigational issues! Getting home along the intended route was much easier and only took 40 minutes, so we'll know for next year...

By the time we'd finished exchanging items and eating lunch, it was nearly hometime! But that worked well because I managed to pick up a couple of bargains just as it finished, including a Hacker Hunter in near-mint condition for £8 - it only needs an aerial and earphone socket. There was a lot more tempting Hacker stuff, but as the boot was full, I managed to resist. Although I'm regretting not asking about an Open University VHF Herald - this didn't have any sort of price tag on it, and personally, I find that really offputting (anyone else feel like this?). Lots of stores seemed to do this...

I was looking out for a Roberts R200, but was astonished at some of the prices. Some stall holders seemed to be after "ebay money", as David originally said. I'm not very good at haggling - perhaps I should have tried. I was also surprised at the amount of really quite modern hi-fi that was there - mostly unpriced as well.

It was great to put faces to names, and my wife and daughter really enjoyed themselves too. I recognised several others that I didn't get a chance to speak to - next time I'll wear a badge, and will arrive earlier too! Thanks to everyone who organised and ran the event - it's clearly a huge undertaking, but thoroughly worth it

Mark
Old 10th May 2010, 1:54 pm   #27
ajs37
Heptode

Yes - very enjoyable again! It's the one date in my diary I always keep clear. I went with a boot full of stuff and came away with half a boot full. Seemed to be dashing around the car park at lunchtime - I wondered if there was more business taking place in the car park than in the hall!

I was very frugal until I saw a Transoceanic A600 reduced in price - so I bought it - I was looking at the round ekcos, but I didn't think their condition warranted such high prices - I am willing to pay a good price, but it has to be a good example, with a clean dial and the right knobs!

I was surprised that the reported attendance was down - I thought I had never seen it so full - from the back of the queue, I did think that the Safety Officers might put a limit on how many were allowed in the hall at one time!

Many thanks to the organisers - the B&B stall which managed to sell all of my cast-offs, and the display - wow - wasn't it fantastic (and loud!)

Then a lovely drive down the Fosse Way back to Bristle in time for dinner!

Cheers
Andy
Old 10th May 2010, 2:10 pm   #28
Ian B
Hexode

As a stall-sharer I had an excellent event and managed to re-home 7 radios and various books, advertising cards etc. I work on the principle of asking a fair price + a small amount of haggling room; that way I sold the best of my stuff (including 2 round Ekcos) at a small profit very early on. The "lower end" stuff went later in the day, and I ended up with an embarrasingly full wallet!
I'd taken some spending cash, but didn't touch it, only bought a few valves and 78s plus some Deoxit from the BVWS stall.
The organisers really worked their socks off, we left when they did, having put a van-full of our radiograms in the display, at around 8.45pm on Saturday. Then up early on Sunday to start at 6am! We left there Sunday evening well after 6pm ( it takes quite a while to load radiograms safely!) and they were still loading Mike's van. I had to make 3 drops to get everyone's bits & bobs in the correct locations and finally got home around 10.45pm.
Up early again this morning to take the hired van back before 8am, and then off to B & Q to buy some castors. The HMV 580 and the Lissenola aren't the heaviest we had to move, but wheels would have helped a lot! And although it costs more to hire, the van with a tail lift was a well-worthwhile investment - without it my bad back (and John and Chris's) would be a lot worse! Almost 400 miles and £100 worth of diesel over the weekend - aaagh!
Was it worth all the effort - YES!
Next year I believe the display will be to commemorate 75 years of high definition TV - and yes, the HMV 900 has already been "castored".
See you there in 2011!

Ian Blackbourn
Old 10th May 2010, 2:17 pm   #29
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian B View Post
....Next year I believe the display will be to commemorate 75 years of high definition TV - and yes, the HMV 900 has already been "castored"....
I like the new verb. I castored my 702 soon after I bought it. A sheet of blockboard, 4 castors screwed to it and cut to fit neatly inside the skirt. No extra holes at all , not even in the underside. As Ian rightly says, the weight may not (always) be excessive but there's nowhere convenient to grab a 702 or quite a few other big sets.

I have a feeling that at least one forum member is an osteopath. His services could be very useful at the moment.
Old 10th May 2010, 2:23 pm   #30
Radio_Doctor
Pentode

I have either bought or sold at every NVCF from the first (lots of years ago!). I feel very strongly that this current set up for the show is by far and away the best. It is very friendly, well organised, great displays (radiograms - fantastic), good food, light adequate.

Well done to all.

As a stall holder with a mixture of very cheap + very expensive kit, can I just give a brief defence of some high prices? I determine price mainly by what I paid for the item originally. All the 3 expensive radios I had were for sale because in the last year I have bought better ones. Market forces are interesting and going back 20y I have seen highs and lows of various sets and types. Pre war televisions may not look like such a good investment in 5y? You always try and get back what you paid. if you paid too much then you have to bite the bullet and reduce the price. Current climate = prices down.

Anyway I bought and empty 50's Eddystone box, a couple of 1930's floor standing displays advertising Ultra Radio, a lit PAM advertising box, little French white Marconi radio, Ekco AC85. Generally very happy and always enjoy the day.

Kneale
Old 10th May 2010, 3:30 pm   #31
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi
This was my first one and I was very impressed - worth the long journey. It would have been nice to meet more forum members if only to put faces to avatars!
I agree with Mark - it's off-putting to see things without prices, especially when the stallholder's nowhere to be seen. For example there was a Revox PR99 in poor condition that I could have been interested in, but there wasn't anyone to ask. Also some nice high-end hi-fi on one stall, but all piled up with one amplifier upside-down! Doesn't instil confidence....
However, that's the way of fairs. There were some great stalls, others that were so well presented they were mid-way between a stall and an exhibition.
I'd like to join everyone in thanking the organisers for a great event - it certainly won't be my last!
Glyn
Old 10th May 2010, 3:42 pm   #32
EF80TVVALVE
Octode

This years NVCF was great I went away with a KB Toaster radio for 45 a masteradio set for a fiver and (i think) the pye sunrise radio as mentioned before for 15!
cant wait til next year
Old 10th May 2010, 4:13 pm   #33
Brased
Hexode

I didn't really fancy the drive to Leamington so I used the train from London. The service from Marylebone was excellent and the provision of the shuttle bus made things simple. The whole organisation of the event was great and selling the tickets in the queue made entry at 10.30 very quick. That display of radiograms was something else! I was impressed by way the sound filled the hall. What would the neighbours have said in the average suburban semi?

No I didn't come away with much as I have been trying to avoid acquiring more 'projects' at present but it was enjoyable poking around the stalls and chatting with friends. Yes, a really great day out.
Old 10th May 2010, 4:33 pm   #34
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brased View Post
....I was impressed by way the sound filled the hall....
On the B&B we enjoyed having good music nearby while we worked. In future years, provided that it doesn't conflict with other displays, it would be good to have period background music. ISTR an internet radio station that plays our kind of music. They might even do an NVCF special.
Old 10th May 2010, 5:47 pm   #35
harvestgold
Hexode

I'd like to offer thanks too, to all those who worked so hard to make this year's show such a success. I went with a car load of stuff for B&B etc, oh and came home with a car load of (different) stuff!

I did go a little mad this year buying six record players for restoration (an EAR small portable, a Plus-a-gram small portable, an EAR battery "Radio Pakagram", an American RCA Victor 45 player an American Webster and a 1940s American Admiral table radiogram) I also collected Ferguson & Defiant radios from Simon (thermionic) bought a Grundig Music Boy for spares from the B&B (which works fine, so probably won't be for spares) a Philips N2203 cassette recorder and some capacitors and 78s etc.

Just got to find homes for it all now. . .

Best show yet, for me anyway, and those radiograms were the sweetest icing on the cake.

Neil.
Old 10th May 2010, 6:32 pm   #36
The General
Hexode

Very enjoyable. I especially liked the radiogram display - it's the first time I'd seen a Decola in real life.
I came away with a Clarke & Smith schools receiver from the early 50's & also a working 70's C&S portable. Plus some grill cloth & misc bits.
I also did a double take when I saw a valve tester I used to own 20 years ago!
Mark.
Old 10th May 2010, 6:51 pm   #37
ekcobeach
Rest in Peace

Yes, A brilliant day. Met up with Mikeymush and Margaret and exchanged our ebay purchases. Then proceeded to fill the car to the absolute brim. Bought four multiband transistor radios,eight woodies and a nice bakelite Ferranti.Also found numerous knobs and several valves including half a dozen or more magic eyes. Many thanks to the organisers for an excellent day.The only pain being the M40 snarl up. Colin.
Old 10th May 2010, 7:23 pm   #38
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

I enjoyed the day out despite the 7 hour 320 mile round trip. I also got caught in the M40 jam! Met up with several people but missed many others, only bought a few books, magazines, videos and records, collected a Lenco record deck from Neil (harvestgold), I was tempted by a lot of the other goodies on sale but no space left here until I have a clearout . The magnificent radiograms made a great sounding display, well done to all the organisers and roll on next year!

Regards, Mick.
Old 10th May 2010, 7:46 pm   #39
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Fortunately, my car was full by the time I had finished loading items previously agreed, so there wasn't room for me to purchase anything bulky. It is also fortunate that all the more bulky items brought for the B&B stall had gone by the time we packed up, otherwise I might have had severe problems shoehorning them in.

It certainly seemed a successful and enjoyable event.

Thanks to those who enabled it to happen, especially Mike Barker - who seemed to be attempting to make quantum mechanics apply to himself by trying to be everywhere at the same time.
Old 10th May 2010, 8:27 pm   #40
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

A big thank you to the organisers for a brilliant day. It was nice to see the number of buyers still looking around at 4pm. I met a few forum members, would have met more if I could have found my name badge amongst the goodies I was selling. John.
Closed Thread