UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Aug 2018, 8:04 am   #1
johnberman
Retired Dormant Member

Default What to look for when buying Gramophone Records

Hi.

I picked up a Portable Selecta Gramophone Player See here and it works a treat.

Now I would like some records, searching on line they seem to be everywhere - so tips on what I'm looking for would be really helpful (sorry if there are tips on the forum).

Regards, John.
Old 18th Aug 2018, 10:04 am   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: What to look for when buying Gramophone Records

That's a very open question!? Irrespective of what genre of music you prefer, are you asking about buying condition or continuous care? For example, 78's can take a fair amount of careful washing and there are many sites that cover this aspect.
Old 18th Aug 2018, 10:34 am   #3
Aerodyne
Octode

78 rpm shellac records were manufactured as late as the early 1960s so you have a very wide selection of music styles to choose from and this depends entirely upon your preference. From the mid 1920s, electrical recording came about. offering improved frequency response (for the time).

Before that, recordings were made acoustically. Recordings made during the 1930s tend to sound 'dead' due to the use of sound-absorbing materials lining the walls of the recording studios. Listen to any Glenn Miller or Duke Ellington 78 of that era and you'll see what I mean. I do find - subjectively - that British records of that time do have a more open sound, so it may have been an American (or an RCA) tendency.

Post-war, there was an increasing use of echo - reverberation - which added presence to the sound. Try Sauter-Finegan's 'Midnight Sleighride' and compare the better acoustics and higher recording fidelity. Into the 1950s, you can find Presley, Donegan, Holly and many others on 78 rpm discs. There is also a large classical repertoire on those discs too but the limit for a 10" disc is around 3 minutes, and a 12" disc can provide around 4.5 minutes on average.
So, the world, as once famously said, is your lobster... but do not try to play vinyl discs on this vintage player. 45 rpm and 33.333 rpm discs need a lightweight and most often stereo pick-up. There were a few silent surface vinyl 78s produced but these are relatively rare. I had an example by Chris Barber and his band on Parlophone but I have to admit I would not have wanted to play it on an acoustic machine with its heavy soundbox and steel needle.

Look around car boot sales and local sale rooms. 78s often come up in such sales. It is something of a lottery as when played on an acoustic machine, records do wear and that isn't always easy to spot visually. If you don't pay too much, you can take a chance.
Hopefully others will offer their insights here.

Tony
Old 18th Aug 2018, 11:02 am   #4
Audio1950
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnberman View Post

Now I would like some records, searching on line they seem to be everywhere - so tips on what I'm looking for would be really helpful (sorry if there are tips on the forum).

Regards, John.
If you'd like to take a trip up the A1 to Peterborough, I'll gladly give you a couple of hundred free of charge!

Barry
Closed Thread