UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Jul 2018, 7:33 pm   #1
John10b
Nonode

Default Acos Hi-G Cartridge

I have been sorting out my old collection of cartridges and came across this Acos, it had been fitted to a Garrard RC120 Mk 2 deck. I wonder if you could tell me something about it’s history.
When testing it on my home made jig, using a vintage test record, I was surprised to find it gave a good output: approximately 600mV p.p.
I decided to check the output using a 45 pop Record (Adam Faith) the output was over 4volts p.p. For an old cartridge that must be pretty good.
I note in Bens List the output is quoted as “1v?”sic.
Cheers
John
Old 23rd Jul 2018, 8:24 pm   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Acos Hi-G Cartridge

A very popular crystal cartridge used for many years from 1954 to 1958 in many portable record players and radiograms. It would track at c.6-8 grams. Depending on version, it did give a high enough output for very basic (single stage) record players. Popular versions were the HGP37 and HGP39. Obviously these wee Mono cartridges and are not suitable for playing newer Stereo LPs. BSR offered them usually fitted in to their UA6 autochanger.
Old 24th Jul 2018, 4:01 pm   #3
John10b
Nonode

Thank you Edward, I’ve just tested a few more and one, the Garrard GC2 was u/s.
So I took a look inside and it was in bits, would this cartridge be the same vintage as the Acos?
If so, I was wondering why one would be working ok and not the other, I would be interested in your opinion.
Cheers
John
Old 24th Jul 2018, 5:23 pm   #4
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Most crystal cartridges from this period will have degenerated by now, but not all. The Garrard GC2 came out slightly later but is still a mid/late 1950s production. The Acos Hi-G series was later replaced in the late 1950s by the (still Mono) GP67. The most durable, and regarded by some as the best sounding, are the Collaro (Ronette) "Studio" series (Studio T, O and P) from 1954 onwards. I have a Studio "T" from 1954 (c.1 Volt) working perfectly.