UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Jul 2018, 5:05 pm   #1
19Seventy7
Octode

Default Alba 432 or Fidelity HF45

Hi, I'm interested in buying a cheap auto changing stackable record player, and I have seen two for sale. The first being Alba 432, which works but has a seized turntable, and the second being Fidelity HF45 which also works but has a seized turn table.

The Alba has a (what I can work out anyway) unbranded deck, and the Fidelity has a BSR deck, which are easy to fix, too… apparently. This will also be my first "restoration" attempt so I want something fairly easy to fix too.

Would like to know which has better sound and which are better over all.

First image - Alba 432

Second image - Fidelity HF45
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	166460   Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l16001.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	166461  
Old 23rd Jul 2018, 5:30 pm   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Alba 432 or Fidelity HF45

Both decks are BSRs. I would go for the Alba. It will have a better amplifier and (from memory) a larger loudspeaker. The BSR C109 (or BSR C129) deck in this should be an easy fix. The ALBA is also liable to be better built.
Old 23rd Jul 2018, 6:09 pm   #3
19Seventy7
Octode

Oh okay, thank you. I'll go for the Alba then Thanks.
Old 26th Jul 2018, 2:50 pm   #4
ben
Dekatron

The turntable in the second pic has clearly been forced round, you can see the spindle pointing in the wrong direction if you look closely!
Old 26th Jul 2018, 8:50 pm   #5
19Seventy7
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben View Post
The turntable in the second pic has clearly been forced round, you can see the spindle pointing in the wrong direction if you look closely!
Yeah, I messaged the seller and he didn't seem like he had a clue what he was talking about - and was quite rude about it too.

What way is the spindle meant to face? I am going to repair one of these soon and without doubt I'll need to service the deck, so I want to gain some more knowledge before hand.

Thanks.
Old 26th Jul 2018, 9:12 pm   #6
kirstyd
Heptode

Just my two peneth worth but I have had both of these machines and I have to say once fettled up the Fidelity definitely had the edge on the Alba sounding much better than it has a right to.
Old 26th Jul 2018, 9:13 pm   #7
Station X

No more discussion about the seller please.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 26th Jul 2018, 9:23 pm   #8
ben
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsertNameHere View Post
What way is the spindle meant to face? I am going to repair one of these soon and without doubt I'll need to service the deck, so I want to gain some more knowledge before hand.
As coincidence would have it, I have just returned from a trip to my local junk emporium where I picked up another BSR of similar vintage for 15€. At first sight it looked like the spindle was facing the wrong way on that one! However, I soon realized that someone had just taken it out then put it back in loosely with the step facing the rh side, the bearing had not been forced at all. Phew.

Basically, to answer your question, the moving pieces should face the front left corner of the deck. The little notch on the shaft thus faces the arm pivot. If someone has forced a gummed up platter round, all hell can break loose as the whole bearing is forced from its location; the auto mech elements no longer line up.

It can sometimes be remedied by repositioning with a strong pair of pliers with a cloth inside, but things can be damaged. I would avoid any deck showing signs of hamfistedness as you never know if it'll be serviceable.

The Alba in the photo at least seems to have its spindle in position. Let's hope nobody's tempted to diddle with it in the mean time and mess it up.

Let us know how you get on!

PS- Another close look shows the Fidelity is sans cartridge! That's another 25-30 notes you'd have to throw at it right there.
Old 27th Jul 2018, 12:39 am   #9
19Seventy7
Octode

I have in fact bought another record player (Still a HF45, but a different one.) I have a picture of it, and I should receive it early next week, cant wait to get stuck in! It's going to be quite an experience as it has no wire, and is then obviously untested, it's also my first record player to repair. The spindle in the shown record player here is in correct position, but that is all I really know about it. I got it cheap too for £15, it is in great condition, could do with a little clean, and needs a new knob on the front but I have already found a replacement, which unfortunately isn't actually from this model, but is somewhat similar and fits the colour scheme, which I will go with unless I find an actual match. Just hoping it is okay on the inside..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	57.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	166608  

Last edited by 19Seventy7; 27th Jul 2018 at 12:47 am.
Old 27th Jul 2018, 11:47 am   #10
AC/HL
Dekatron

Please start a new thread about the replacement player.
Closed Thread