UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Jul 2018, 9:57 pm   #1
huffers
Diode

Default Sharp SG-400E - help with hinges

Hi all,
I am new to this forum but looks like there are lots of people with similar interests so hoping someone can help.

I have just picked up a Sharp SG400e which is in really nice condition cosmetically, just a few issues to sort like new belt and servicing the tape deck but up for the challenge.

The issue I have is the music centre is missing the hinge parts that clamp onto the plastic lid. The black part of the hinge is intact on the body but I am missing the clamps that fit to the plastic lid itself.
I have looked in the user manual and the service manual but neither have any details of the hinges so not sure exactly what is missing.
Ideally I am looking for replacement parts if anyone has any spares. alternatively if anyone out there has the same model (or possibly the 315e which looks like a similar hinge could possibly provide some detailed photos of the hinge parts so maybe I could fabricate some.
would really appreciate the help.

many thanks in advance
Old 27th Jul 2018, 11:54 am   #2
huffers
Diode

Default Re: Sharp SG-400E - help with hinges

Hi All,
Just thought I would give an update, after having a look around with not much luck I thought I would try to solve this myself.

I managed to find a metal laser cutting service online. I have created a new pattern for the missing part based on measurements of the existing hinge part and lid. along with some pictures I have managed to come up with a pretty good idea of what the part looked like (I hope).

I have now received the parts laser cut for stainless steel, which look pretty good. The only challenge I have will be to fold it into the required channel. I am limited in tools for the job, plus when folded it makes a very small channel of about 5mm so need to think about this. I also have the cut a thread in the pre-drilled holes for fixings. before finally polishing the metal. Just hope they fit.

I am thinking of posting how I get on, if anyone would be interested in knowing what I did.

This is a future task as I am currently working on a Sony JJ500 music center restoration, which I may also put on here.
Closed Thread