UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Jan 2018, 11:57 am   #1
Hansbury
Retired Dormant Member

Default Fidelity Stereophonic Solid State RG33

Hi I recently got my grandad's old wireless (as he called it) out off storage, it's a Fidelity Stereophonic Solid State RG33 the radio works fine, so do the speakers, but the record player sound is very low on left hand side.

It's got a BSR SX5M cartridge I've swapped the wire's round and then the left side works but the right is low just wondering is there an alternative to the cartridge I can take pics if anyone likes.

Thanks, Patrick.
Old 18th Jan 2018, 1:37 pm   #2
Station X

Default Re: Fidelity Stereophonic Solid State RG33

Well done for doing some simple diagnostic tests and locating the faulty cartridge.

I'm sure one of the forum experts will be along shortly to advise you of a suitable replacement.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 18th Jan 2018, 1:42 pm   #3
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Assume there's audio on both channels from the Radio, the cartridge could be faulty or just the LH and RH connectors need burrnishing/contact cleaning. Clean also the "Gram" selector. It's still possible to buy a replacement BSR NOS Stereo cartridge for this.
Old 18th Jan 2018, 2:29 pm   #4
Station X

Given the test results posted by the OP, I'd say the fault can only be the LH channel of the cartridge or perhaps its pins. Everything else has been eliminated.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 18th Jan 2018, 7:13 pm   #5
Hansbury
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for the replies. I've seen another thread on how to clean pins I'll give it a go see if it's that. Hope so I've got good memories of my grandad listening to his Frank Sinatra and horse racing. Thanks again.
Closed Thread