UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Dec 2017, 5:29 pm   #1
humphrey
Retired Dormant Member

Default Sony TA-88

Been a while since my last visit. Thought I would use my old Sony as a PC CD amplifier. Last night I left it switched on and was awakened by what sounded like the cats were smashing up the catflap.
I turned it on the next day and it sounds just the same.

Left channel was causing the noise with the right channel still working.
The left channel was not responding to the volume control being loud through the range. With the left speaker disconnected the right channel is working ok but with slight crackling. I have two of these amps with the last one traveling around the globe with me when I was in the Merchant Navy.
I understand that some of the transistors used in these sets were not entirely up to the job. Not being very good at tracing faults, I would like to replace these suspects - if I knew what they were.

Last edited by humphrey; 20th Dec 2017 at 5:43 pm.
Old 20th Dec 2017, 6:46 pm   #2
Grubhead
Heptode

Default Re: Sony TA-88

When you have one channel playing up then I always compare readings and just looking at them to see if there is any difference. As both channels use the same parts. You just identify which channel is which.
You can't really go on what might cause a problem, because electronics don't behave like that. The big trouble makers might be working fine in your model. The ones that don't normally cause the problem could be the culprits.
Old 21st Dec 2017, 7:26 am   #3
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

I know the amps you mean, had a few friends had these back in the 80's, they were popular in bedsits.
Service manual available here - https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_li...ny/ta-88.shtml

Andy.
Old 21st Dec 2017, 11:21 am   #4
humphrey
Retired Dormant Member

Is an oscilloscope and signal generator any use here as although the voltages on the schematic are showing normal, it does not account for the noise on the left channel. It will be nice to use those items of equipment that have hardly been used.

Last edited by humphrey; 21st Dec 2017 at 11:40 am.
Old 21st Dec 2017, 12:51 pm   #5
humphrey
Retired Dormant Member

It might be worth mentioning that that the unit is pre modification with the 315ma fuses but the resistors are according to the mod and appear to be original.

Last edited by humphrey; 21st Dec 2017 at 1:08 pm.
Old 21st Dec 2017, 3:36 pm   #6
orbanp1
Heptode

The Sony TA-88 has some design problems.
See this thread, and especially posting #6:
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...highlight=ta88

Regards, Peter
Old 21st Dec 2017, 7:10 pm   #7
humphrey
Retired Dormant Member

So far I have not found any deviations from the schematics. However I have another TA88 that has no output at all. There are some odd voltages on a couple of transistors. They are Q101 and Q102 2SC631A and 2SA704. Are equivalents available?
Old 22nd Dec 2017, 5:55 pm   #8
orbanp1
Heptode

There are fuses at the speaker outputs, do check those.
Also check the rail voltages.
If the speaker fuse was blown, do measure the DC output voltage without any input signal before you attach the speaker to it, the DC output voltage should not be more than a few 10mV!
If it is significantly more, then probably the final and/or driver transistors are blown.

Q101 and Q102 are part of the RIAA pre-amp for the phono input, if that is the only fault, then the amp should still work OK with the other inputs, like "tuner", and "aux".
Do a search for low noise audio bjt transistors, or go to the diyAudio.com, solid-state subforum, this has been discussed there ad nauseam.

Good luck, Peter
Old 23rd Dec 2017, 11:59 am   #9
humphrey
Retired Dormant Member

I just got my dead set going on one channel with no noise. At least I can compare them. I had to replace a crusty old 100mF cap in the power supply. I am thinking that I should really replace all the e caps because of their age.
I could not find any dodgy transistors.

Last edited by humphrey; 23rd Dec 2017 at 12:06 pm.
Old 13th Jan 2018, 3:26 pm   #10
humphrey
Retired Dormant Member

Changed all the E caps and it now works fine with no crackles either. Now to get the second one done. Luckily all the transistors were ok.
Closed Thread