UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Jul 2018, 3:42 pm   #1
Dorian27
Heptode

Default Bush SRP31 valves?

I have a Bush SRP31 and the valves inside are ECL83's but I was watching an engineer on you tube servicing the same model but he said to use ECL86 valves as they gave a much better sound output. Is this correct or not and can I change mine or not, or more to the point, should I.

Thanks for any help.
Old 27th Jul 2018, 4:05 pm   #2
peter_sol
Octode

Default Re: Bush SRP31 valves?

Early models used ECL83's. Later ones ECL86
They are not plug in compatible
Basically as both amps were designed to give 3 watts output,
the negative feedback being changed for the later models.
So conclusion = no difference.
Old 27th Jul 2018, 4:39 pm   #3
Dorian27
Heptode

Thanks
Old 27th Jul 2018, 7:07 pm   #4
Sideband
Dekatron

ECL86's were not the best of valves in any case. Most that I have come across have been intermittent or microphonic and new replacements are 'variable' to say the least and expensive. ECL83's are fine if the rest of the circuitry (particularly coupling caps) are in good condition so if there are any waxy caps in there, change them for good polyesters. If either (or both) of the ECL83's need replacement they are cheap (much cheaper than ECL86) and plentiful.