UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Jul 2018, 11:04 am   #1
paolo
Heptode

Default Technics SL-DL1

Hi Everyone,

I have been quiet for a while because I haven't really had any interesting challenges or projects over recent months. Not really sure if the following qualifies as vintage or "modern stuff" but as it was new in 1981 I am assuming vintage That is both alarming and sobering!

Anyway, I picked up one of these classic Technics linear tracking turntables for peanuts mainly to use as a turntable hooked up to my PC to convert LPs to digital files. I have always loved the Technics linear trackers. A friend's father had this very model new in 1981 and I was always jealous.

I have given it a good overhaul, replacing the spindle oil and lubricated the guide rods, cogs etc. I have also replaced the cartridge (which was formerly the stock Technics P23) with a Realistic RXT-6 which is P-mount but not T4P compatible. The Realistic has a mass of 6.8 grams while T4P compliant cartridges have a mass of 6g. This means that I have had to adjust the tracking force to compensate but I have just done it "by feel". Because of the fully automatic nature of the TT the arm won't drop unless a) the lid is closed, b) there's a spinning turntable and c) a record on said turntable. This makes placing an electronic scale under the stylus challenging to say the least .

Is there a straightforward way to defeat all of the interlocking mechanisms to drop the cartridge, bearing in mind that there is no real tonearm as such on these models? The cartridge is a counterbalanced affair attached to a linear tracking sled.

Hoping someone has some ideas

Thanks.

Paul
Old 25th Jul 2018, 12:18 pm   #2
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Technics SL-DL1

The service manual is available from Vinyl Engine.
There seems to be only +- 0.25g adjustment on this arm anyway (the manual cautions against exceeding these limits).
Since a slightly heavier tracking force is rarely a problem, I'd just set it for the minimum available and leave it at that.
Old 25th Jul 2018, 12:35 pm   #3
paolo
Heptode

Thanks, I have the service manual. I was thinking along similar lines to you. This cartridge is a pretty much a clone of the Shure V15 and the stylus is the same as the VM111E with the much-vaunted "dynamic stabiliser" and carbon fibre brush. This is supposed to exert 0.25g of downwards force so that makes the effective mass of the cartridge 6.55g. I am thinking that I will set the force to 1.0g and just leave it as-is.

Paul
Old 25th Jul 2018, 4:42 pm   #4
sp10mk11
Octode

I always thought that Technics who introduced the T4P cartridge system set tracking weight as 1.25 grams so anyone else who adopted it had to adhere to this tracking weight, and thus the mechanics had to of suitable quality to achieve this.
Gary
Old 26th Jul 2018, 1:11 pm   #5
paolo
Heptode

Yes, that was the idea. Then, some manufacturers including Shure decided that they could offer carts that were P-mount compatible. This meant that they would fit a T4P socket but weren’t necessarily compliant with the entire spec. The RXT-6 is one of these. Great sounding cartridge. It also came with a 1/2 inch standard adaptor. I wonder why?
Closed Thread