UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Jan 2018, 10:35 am   #1
joffreydw
Retired Dormant Member

Post 1960's Dansette Bermuda.

Hi.

I own a 1960's Dansette Bermuda and it usually plays vintage records fine, but the record player almost always skips new records making it impossible to play them. Does anyone know how I can solve the skipping?

BTW, I do not have a lot of knowledge of record players etc.

Thanks.
Old 3rd Jan 2018, 12:14 pm   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: 1960's Dansette Bermuda.

I suspect you are still innocently using the original Mono only cartridge.
If so, this will have permanently damaged your Stereo LP pressings.
Please advise the type of cartridge fitted or better still post a photo so we can advise you.
Old 3rd Jan 2018, 12:33 pm   #3
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Check that the stylus is in good condition, and replace if faulty - styli are available from firms such as 'A-V-A On-line, Musonic, and others - details in the 'sticky' threads. The stylus pressure (AKA Tracking weight) may also need checking, but perhaps more important than either of these, we need to know what cartridge is fitted. If it's the original mono type (TC8, X3M, etc.), modern stereo records should not be played unless a new stereo or stereo compatible cartridge is fitted. As has often been said on this forum, the older type of mono cartridge will wreck stereo records.
Old 3rd Jan 2018, 4:53 pm   #4
Audio1950
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'LIVEWIRE?' View Post
we need to know what cartridge is fitted. If it's the original mono type (TC8, X3M, etc.), modern stereo records should not be played unless a new stereo or stereo compatible cartridge is fitted. As has often been said on this forum, the older type of mono cartridge will wreck stereo records.
Surely the X3M was one of the first "stereo compatible" cartridges?
Old 3rd Jan 2018, 7:25 pm   #5
John10b
Nonode

According to the sticky and the list compiled by Ben, it is a Mono /Stereo compatable cartridge.
Cheers
John
Old 4th Jan 2018, 4:37 pm   #6
Michael Maurice

This is a problem I've found with all ceramic cartridges though I must admit I haven't tried the red Chinese ones.

It only affects the modern pressings, played on older turntables. If anyone finds a solution please let me know.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 4th Jan 2018, 6:32 pm   #7
Hartley118
Nonode

The fact that it tracks older discs OK implies that the arm bearings are reasonably free, though it's always worth checking - a little light oil in the arm bearing might relieve any slight stiffness there.

When you describe it as skipping on new records, are these newly issued discs? The reason I ask is that the older generation of studio balance engineers and disc cutting engineers were very disciplined about avoiding out of phase low frequencies in the stereo cut. Not only are these out of phase signals pointless for the listener because they cancel in the listening room, more importantly they give rise to high vertical amplitudes in the groove modulation. This in turn can result in the problem that the groove becomes very narrow at peak amplitudes so that the moving parts of the cartridge/stylus need to be very compliant to follow the groove. Otherwise the stylus will be launched out of the groove.

Unfortunately, many ceramic cartridges do tend to be lacking in the vertical compliance department because they depend on flexing of the ceramic elements to produce their high output voltage. Magnetic cartridges are generally more compliant.

This art of good disc cutting may well have been lost during the CD/Download audio era. So it's quite likely that today's new issues are cut from studio masters which do contain more out of phase low frequencies than discs made back in the day.

I suggest trying an increased tracking weight, starting by sticking a penny (or 5 cent) coin to the head with a little Blu-tack. That will increase the tracking weight by around 3-4 grams. As a general rule, it's much better for the disc to ensure reliable continuous contact between stylus and groove rather than risking skipping. Often tracking weights are set too light in the mistaken belief that this reduces record wear. The opposite is true - better to err on the high side.

Martin
Old 4th Jan 2018, 8:59 pm   #8
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Ouch! Just tacking a coin on does not sound like one of our more elegant suggestions. Anyway, we've still to hear the OP's comments on our many and varied responses.......
Old 5th Jan 2018, 8:46 am   #9
Hartley118
Nonode

A coin is a neat way of increasing the tracking weight by a precisely known amount. If it solves the problem, then the OP can delve into (usually more complex) tracking weight adjustments within the arm, but they really require careful use of a tracking weight gauge if you're to know what you're doing.

Martin
Old 6th Jan 2018, 11:13 am   #10
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Well, I was hoping we might have heard from jofreydw as I'm sure we can very swiftly and easily solve his problem. However, the cynic in me says that whenever we see a first-time Poster, and with a Dansette query, the outcome is never certain....
Old 14th Jan 2018, 5:16 pm   #11
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

We never did hear back from the OP. The advice was clear and well intentioned and would probably have solved the problem. Maybe we'll never know.....or was it something we said?
Old 14th Jan 2018, 5:20 pm   #12
Station X

I've ceased to concern myself as to why newbies, particularly in this section, do not return after posting.

I do try not to discourage them though and I refrain from saying such things as "They should have replied by now".

Back on topic please.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 15th Jan 2018, 2:09 am   #13
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

Perhaps it is simply a case of the penny has dropped?
I have noticed that new LPs look different on the groove, as though they are a different light reflection.
The red Chinese cartridges work fine tracking at 3 to 7 gms I find even on old arms like the Decca 94 I had (and sold on to go to Japan! )
Closed Thread