UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Nov 2020, 1:35 pm   #1
Mkerry13

Default Inherited vintage radio (Sobell 719C)

Hi
Let me start by saying I know almost nothing about vintage radios. We inherited this fine specimen some years ago, it lights up but no sound at all comes out. Firstly does anyone know what it is (inside is a pencilled label saying 719). Any ideas on if it is easily fixed and lastly whether it is worth tuppence or 10/6d
Michael
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201120_121527.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	220812   Click image for larger version

Name:	20201120_121725.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	220813   Click image for larger version

Name:	20201120_121800.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	220814   Click image for larger version

Name:	20201120_122107.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	220815  
Old 20th Nov 2020, 2:27 pm   #2
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Default Re: Inherited vintage radio

Hi and welcome,

It's a Sobell 719C.

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=148324

Not worth a fortune by any means, floor-standing radios are a minority interest, but it's a good one and deserves a home - if you're not keen on keeping it I expect someone here would be interested. If you haven't plugged it in lately, don't, as a lot of damage could result. Repair may not take more than a couple of cheap components, restoration for peak performance and regular use would need more but still probably nothing very expensive.

Paul
Old 20th Nov 2020, 2:37 pm   #3
paulsherwin

Default Re: Inherited vintage radio

It's in very good cosmetic condition.
Old 20th Nov 2020, 4:33 pm   #4
Richardgr
Heptode

Default Re: Inherited vintage radio (Sobell 719C)

For my interest, why was that created so large? Was it to match the speaker for the best sound quality or volume? Or was it a bit of status 'my one is bigger than your one', sort of thing?
Old 20th Nov 2020, 4:43 pm   #5
Radio Wrangler

Partly for status.

But when a loudspeaker creates a positive pressure wave in front of it, it makes a negative wave behind it. One function of the cabinet is to block flow of air between the front and rear of the speaker. The longer it makes the path around, the better lower frequency sounds are created, so the larger cabinet enhances bass sounds which would have otherwise been lost.

David
Old 20th Nov 2020, 4:46 pm   #6
AC/HL
Dekatron

Known as a Console Radio, they were quite popular at one time. With no TV or Internet, radio was the height of domestic technology back then. That's not a particularly big one, my Grandparents' Pennine was bigger than that one appears to be.
Old 20th Nov 2020, 6:05 pm   #7
Paul_RK
Dekatron

America produced many extremely complex console radios, some with 20 or 30 valves and multiple loudspeakers: the UK not so much, 15 valves was pretty much the upper limit here and many console sets were versions of standard table models just using 4 or 5 valves. The chassis can look a little lost in the interior space of some of those. There's a table version of your set, but it's a big beast -

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/sobell_717.html

I'm quite taken with consoles, the improved bass response is welcome as is not having to find another substantial piece of furniture to stand them on
Old 20th Nov 2020, 6:49 pm   #8
Herald1360
Dekatron

With two IF stages and push pull PEN45s with cathode feedback a la Quad II it should give a good account of itself in going order.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 20th Nov 2020, 9:46 pm   #9
Bob_Moss
Pentode

Have you connected an aerial to it? These need an external aerial.
Old 21st Nov 2020, 5:46 pm   #10
MurphyNut
Heptode

That is lovely! My kind of radio, sadly not that valuable, but should be saved as there cant be many of them left.
It probably isn't too difficult to fix if you have some knowledge, but don't fiddle with it if you don't.
Old 21st Nov 2020, 7:12 pm   #11
vinrads
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_RK View Post
America produced many extremely complex console radios, some with 20 or 30 valves and multiple loudspeakers: the UK not so much, 15 valves was pretty much the upper limit here and many console sets were versions of standard table models just using 4 or 5 valves. The chassis can look a little lost in the interior space of some of those. There's a table version of your set, but it's a big beast -

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/sobell_717.html

I'm quite taken with consoles, the improved bass response is welcome as is not having to find another substantial piece of furniture to stand them on
Like this remote control Philco
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0038 (1).jpg
Views:	72
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	220928  
Old 23rd Nov 2020, 3:12 pm   #12
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkerry13 View Post
Hi
Let me start by saying I know almost nothing about vintage radios. We inherited this fine specimen some years ago, it lights up but no sound at all comes out. Firstly does anyone know what it is (inside is a pencilled label saying 719). Any ideas on if it is easily fixed and lastly whether it is worth tuppence or 10/6d
Michael
Well, it's cetainly worth 10/6. I would not say this will be an easy fix - it's quite a complex radio but this will sound superb when fixed. It all depends what you expect from it and what you want to do with it? Be aware this does not have the FM waveband. It will also need a good (ideally external) aerial for the best reception.