UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Nov 2020, 9:18 am   #21
Kevin Hoyland
Heptode

Default Re: Help with dial cord cut in Saba meersburg 7

Hello and good morning, still raining as i look out of the window.
Thank you for the photos of the radio it looks to be in good condition. For me you have one of the best radios you can get your hands on, as for the EM34 i would fit a new one. The last one i got from Ebay was £65.00 its a lot of money but for me i love looking at my Saba radios . You can get an Russian Equivalent a lot cheaper but you have to rewire it.
Keep the good work up.
Kevin
Old 14th Nov 2020, 9:50 am   #22
Radio Tech
Nonode

Hi Lef de art

You will better to use the nylon cord that is used for pull cords on light switches, and I believe you can obtain this in two different thickness available from a hardware store or shop. I have always used it for drive cord replacement and it is a lot stronger.

Hope this helps

Ken
Old 15th Nov 2020, 1:18 am   #23
Lef de art
Pentode

Hello forum. Today i start the recap process.
All paper capacitors are from 6% to 15% leaky and almost 80% out of capacitance.

The electrolytics are good in capacitance but 4% leaky.... So maybe i will keep them.
I have some days until to receive the missing tube to decide...
Old 15th Nov 2020, 8:18 pm   #24
Mitch-W
Tetrode

Paper caps need to go. Even slight leakage can be disastrous in some cases. Sometimes even an indicated 1% leakage can be enough to cause problems. Better to change them and to never worry again.

Electrolytics can be often left in there as long the capacitances are in -20% to + 100% margin (if left unused for long time, they might read high on capacitance).
Old 16th Nov 2020, 3:43 pm   #25
Lef de art
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch-W View Post
Paper caps need to go. Even slight leakage can be disastrous in some cases. Sometimes even an indicated 1% leakage can be enough to cause problems. Better to change them and to never worry again.

Electrolytics can be often left in there as long the capacitances are in -20% to + 100% margin (if left unused for long time, they might read high on capacitance).
Hello.
You believe it's ok to keep the electrolytics even with 4% leakage ?
With a good capacitance of course...
Old 18th Nov 2020, 4:47 am   #26
Mitch-W
Tetrode

You are using the Chinese component tester, aren't you? This device will not test the capacitors at their working voltage, but will give you some general overview of the component.

To be 100% sure, you'd have to test the leakage at their working voltage and check the leakage current.
In reality, you can leave the old electrolytic caps if the radio plays fine with them and there is no hum and the caps stay cool and will not start to heat up by themselves.

Low voltage ones, if they check reasonable on the tester, they will most likely be fine.
Old 18th Nov 2020, 4:51 am   #27
Lef de art
Pentode

Indeed i use the Chinese component tester. Today i will receive the capacitors so i will start the replacing process.
Hope soon to receive and the tube so i can test the automatic receiver.
Old 18th Nov 2020, 8:05 am   #28
Kevin Hoyland
Heptode

Morning.
If i remember right the motor run Capacitors are paper ones and have had a hard life .
Make sure the motor runs free you can do this by hand. If i remember right they are 4uf but you will have to look this up.
Keep the good work up.
Kevin.

Ps if you look on Antique radio site it has an outstanding thread on the repair of the motor.
Old 18th Nov 2020, 10:19 am   #29
Lef de art
Pentode

Hello Kevin. The motor it has several paper capacitors. 2 of them are big in size. One of them is not leaky so i will keep him.
The rest will me change.

The motor runs free and easy.
I don't know if there is any problem with automatic mechanism because i miss one tube.
I have received a package from the post office and i am almost sure it is the tube (!!!) .
I will know later.
I already received the capacitors so if i will receive and the tube today i will make my first after recap test late at night!!!
So excited !!!
Old 19th Nov 2020, 12:53 am   #30
Lef de art
Pentode

Just finished the recap situation and the ECL80 tube replace.

The sound is by little improved, it was and before good but unfortunately the automatic mechanism doesn't work

More specifically when i push the automatic button after few seconds a little smoke spears from the down part , from the automatic switch!!!

I have tried it 2/3 times and the same thing happens. The automatic button starts to smoke... So i deactivate the automatic immediately and everything runs perfect.
The motor doesn't makes any sound and is not blocked. It runs manually easily and totally free.

I don't know how to proceed now
Old 19th Nov 2020, 9:02 am   #31
Kevin Hoyland
Heptode

Morning.
I am sorry i do not know your first name. You will have to take measurements of the windings.
I have seen rust on the Stator and this is not going to let the motor run. Please do go to the Thread on the Antique radio site and put the name of the radio in and you will see a step by step repair procedure.

Kevin
Old 19th Nov 2020, 10:53 am   #32
Lef de art
Pentode

Thanks Kevin.
You refer the antique radio thread in this site ?
The stator is cleaned and manually turns easy and free.
Old 20th Nov 2020, 7:43 am   #33
Kevin Hoyland
Heptode

Hello.
You will see the Thread on the Saba meersburg 7 on the Radiomuseum site.

Kevin.
Old 20th Nov 2020, 6:42 pm   #34
Lef de art
Pentode

I find the forum Kevin thanks and i have already cleaned the motor. But the problem remains..
Even with the motor totally disconnected ...when the automatic button is pressed, after 3 seconds the automatic switch starts to smoke !!!
Closed Thread