UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Nov 2019, 11:11 pm   #41
hamid_1
Heptode

Default Re: Television set?

Quote:
Originally Posted by usradcoll1 View Post
I'm looking for DVD's of the entire series of the Secret Life of Machines.
I wonder if it's available of the US BBC website?
It wasn't a BBC TV series, so they are unlikely to have it. It was made for Channel 4 Television, another national public broadcaster in the UK. The Discovery Channel also showed it. I'm not sure if any DVDs were produced commercially - a quick search on amazon.co.uk didn't find any. However, some years ago, the series creator Tim Hunkin gave permission for the series to be downloaded freely. There were several sites from which you could download every episode. The only one that still seems to work is https://www.exploratorium.edu/ronh/SLOM/index.html

Choose an episode, Right-click on the video, then select "Save video as..."

The video files are .mp4 format. Some DVD and blu-ray players can display these files directly from a disc or USB drive. Otherwise you'll have to convert them to DVD-Video using a DVD authoring program (there are both free and paid software packages that can do this.)
Old 27th Nov 2019, 12:03 am   #42
Test Desk
Tetrode

So we have a crystal set, a wireless set, a television set and a handset. I never heard "radio set" but we still have the "goggle box" even though it's no longer box. A telephone handset consists of a transmitter and receiver combined, so "set" makes sense to me. I imagine "set top box" came from the US where they probably had cable TV before Betamax recorders, and as early TV sets were standalone items of furniture, the CATV control box would literally sit on top of the TV cabinet, thus becoming a "set top box". Then recorders came along and TV furniture had to adapt to accommodate extra bits of kit.
Old 27th Nov 2019, 12:12 am   #43
Richard_FM
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by usradcoll1 View Post
I'm looking for DVD's of the entire series of the Secret Life of Machines.
I wonder if it's available of the US BBC website?
http://timhunkin.com/control/n_tv_index.htm

Tim Hunkin has put them on You Tube as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamid_1 View Post
It wasn't a BBC TV series, so they are unlikely to have it. It was made for Channel 4 Television, another national public broadcaster in the UK. The Discovery Channel also showed it. I'm not sure if any DVDs were produced commercially - a quick search on amazon.co.uk didn't find any. However, some years ago, the series creator Tim Hunkin gave permission for the series to be downloaded freely. There were several sites from which you could download every episode. The only one that still seems to work is https://www.exploratorium.edu/ronh/SLOM/index.html
I remember being pleased to download them a few years ago as I hadn't seem them for many years.
Old 27th Nov 2019, 10:32 am   #44
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

Just picking up on two points from these posts, the Air Ministry/RAF used the word 'Computor', spelled with an 'o', to refer to a calculating device, for example the MkIV Bombsight Computor used in the Avro Lancaster and other heavy bombers is an electro/pneumatic/mechanical calculator, and also a whole range of rotary slide-rule calculators used by the Navigator and Bomb-Aimer.

'Televisor' was also used in the context of electronic television receivers, not just mechanical Baird-type, in the 40s and 50s.

Andy
Old 27th Nov 2019, 12:35 pm   #45
chriswood1900
Octode

I believe most of Secret Life of Machines are available on YouTube here
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._GmtzfWJyA4bik
Chris
Old 2nd Dec 2019, 8:41 pm   #46
McMurdo
Dekatron

Some languages, eg French and Spanish have seperate names for Television the medium and Television the apparatus, eg le téléviseur/el televisión (set) and la télévision/la televisión. (medium)

A french or spanish TV set is a masculine object but a TV programme is feminine.
Old 2nd Dec 2019, 10:41 pm   #47
emeritus
Dekatron

"Televisore" is the Italian word for a TV set.
Old 2nd Dec 2019, 10:54 pm   #48
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Many years ago in the early days of television someone expressed an opinion that no good could come to something which was named by combining a classic Greek word with a Latin word.

DFWB.
Old 2nd Dec 2019, 11:20 pm   #49
Maarten
Dekatron

Wasn't the early English name 'televisor'?

In Dutch, the most used words are the same for the content and the set: televisie, also TV for short or sometimes televisietoestel (toestel means equipment or set) for long.

In German, it's Fernseh for the content and Fernseher for the set. Fern means distant and seher means something that sees (or enables seeing).

Last edited by Maarten; 2nd Dec 2019 at 11:30 pm.
Old 2nd Dec 2019, 11:57 pm   #50
FERNSEH
Dekatron

"Wasn't the early English name 'televisor'"

Used by Baird Television Limited.

DFWB.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BairdT5_Televisior_32_1.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	194781  
Old 3rd Dec 2019, 1:28 am   #51
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maarten View Post
Wasn't the early English name 'televisor'?

In Dutch, the most used words are the same for the content and the set: televisie, also TV for short or sometimes televisietoestel (toestel means equipment or set) for long.

In German, it's Fernseh for the content and Fernseher for the set. Fern means distant and seher means something that sees (or enables seeing).
In the UK, video recordings are sometimes called "videograms". You find it used in copyright notices and other legal documents, but otherwise it's rarely, if ever used.
Old 3rd Dec 2019, 3:11 am   #52
Maarten
Dekatron

That reminds me of the Spanish word 'grabador', which is used for (magnetic) audio/videorecorders but means engraver. It probably has the same origins.
Old 3rd Dec 2019, 2:42 pm   #53
Richard_FM
Octode

Also phonograph for a record player, which is not often used outside of official wordings or conversations between the very technologically literate.
Old 3rd Dec 2019, 2:54 pm   #54
ben
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maarten View Post
That reminds me of the Spanish word 'grabador', which is used for (magnetic) audio/videorecorders but means engraver. It probably has the same origins.
Actually 'la grabadora'
The Spanish used to use 'el televisor' for the set; now it's just 'la tele' for both the set and the process!

I always smile when I read old manuals referring to 'the instrument'. Now that really does sound antiquated. Always reminds me of this
Old 3rd Dec 2019, 4:59 pm   #55
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_FM View Post
Also phonograph for a record player, which is not often used outside of official wordings or conversations between the very technologically literate.
Our Stateside members may not totally agree.

On the other hand, "Record player" seems like a description waiting for a proper word to be coined.

On the other, other hand,
https://youtu.be/dSINO6MKtco
Old 3rd Dec 2019, 5:49 pm   #56
TonyDuell
Dekatron

I have some reprints of American books written over 100 years ago that call a 'record player' (or whatever...) a 'Talking Machine'.
Old 3rd Dec 2019, 6:00 pm   #57
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1152 View Post
Quote:
True - and we talk of "phono plugs and sockets" - originally used [by RCA-Victor, hence their alternate name of RCA plugs] to connect external record-decks to existing radios/amplifiers in the same way as 'gram' sockets on British radios.

Sidenote - a stateside friend refers to their cable-TV box as the "stunt-box", presumably because it can perform stunts like pausing/rewinding live programming.
Old 4th Dec 2019, 12:37 am   #58
Richard_FM
Octode

Record deck & turntable are other terms in use.
Old 5th Dec 2019, 12:45 pm   #59
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Digressing slightly, but 'microwave oven' is very dull in comparison to the Welsh 'Popty ping'!
Old 5th Dec 2019, 3:53 pm   #60
Hartley118
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1152 View Post
Quote:

On the other hand, "Record player" seems like a description waiting for a proper word to be coined.

On the other, other hand,
https://youtu.be/dSINO6MKtco
Panatrope perhaps?

Martin