UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 31st Mar 2023, 8:16 pm   #21
factory
Octode

Default Re: Weller TCP Soldering Iron - Magnastat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Sawyers View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken G3XSJ View Post
Can anyone suggest a source of the 2 core ultra flexible cable used on earlier TCPs? The outer sheath on mine has all but disintegrated leaving the two inner cores flapping around in the wind.
The modern Weller TCP cable is rubbish. On mine the inner cores disintegrated. They crumbled like biscuit and shorted out.

Then the transformer melted - it is wound with solderable insulation, so really low temperature rated. Look at it the wrong way and it becomes one shorted turn with loadsa smoke. The fact that the fuse is 3A means nothing. In the maybe 10 seconds it takes to blow it can easily put 1kW into the transformer to fuel the smoke generation.

In spite of sending them photos, they walked away. Refused point blank to replace anything FOC. Out of guarantee they said. So much for German engineering or after care.

I will never darken Weller's door again.

Craig
Some have no fuse, not even a thermal fuse in the windings.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUtj-bWHeKY

Clearly they need a product recall for those, the cable on a newer one at work failed the exact same crumbly way.
We got around it by swapping the cable from an old scrap TCP with the Bulgin connector and using it with an older PSU.

We are replacing the soldering equipment at work, the engineer was looking at Weller stuff, until I reminded him the new ones were a load of crap. Instead we are getting a Metcal station, tips are already here, but company budget restrictions mean the expensive part will be ordered in April.

David
Old 1st Apr 2023, 11:39 am   #22
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

I swapped across to Metcal (I needed something decent for SM work), and Weller will never ever darken my workbench again.

And yes - I can give first hand evidence of the lack of thermal fuse in the TCP transformer, when it melted down with copious acrid smoke. A real engineered down to a minimum cost at maximum price heap of dingo's kidneys.

Product recall? When I presented photographic evidence to Weller Germany, they just walked away. Tough luck, customer.

Craig
Old 1st Apr 2023, 12:27 pm   #23
Longespee
Pentode

Craig, exactly the same happened with my ( 2005 ) WTCP 51 just last week, mid soldering the fuse in the IEC blew, so I disconnected the iron re-fused and off it went to core meltdown again, the cause was the iron cable at the bonded din plug end where the cable was one big short.

Ironically I had wanted when I got time, to check this plug but as it looked ok and a real job to dismantle I didn't, I even had a mini Bulgin ready !!!.

Really not sure whether to carry on with another Tx or quit Weller for good.
Old 1st Apr 2023, 3:13 pm   #24
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

Sometimes in the past, I lifted the earth connection and put a 100k or similar in series.
Gave a static earth protection without causing a short to earth if working on gear that was accidentally left powered "on" transistor gear.
Rob
Old 1st Apr 2023, 4:01 pm   #25
Wellertcp
Tetrode

It does seem that with Weller, older is better. I'm not sure what Carl Weller would make of it all.
I've got one of the very old black Weller stations; made in Horsham, still works perfectly.
Old 13th Apr 2023, 10:02 am   #26
Oldmadham
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by QQVO6/40 View Post
Greetings all.

Nominal mains voltage here is 230V +10% to -6%.
Or so the wiring rules AS3000 has to say.
Many power suppliers here look on that as a very rough guide.I did run a power conditioner here for a while but it was too noisy so I now use a solid bucking transformer to drop the mains down to around 215V to 220V.
Everything seems to float along nicely with this setup.

Because my TCP was made here in Australia it is rated for 240V which was our old standard mains voltage till they decided to align our stuff with Europe.

I am not sure if it is the same now but years ago some remote towns in Western Australia had a nominal 260V. Ouch!

I will see if I can get my camera out tomorrow and take a pic or 3 of my setup.

Gotta go as it is 25 minutes into April Fools day.
Going beddy bye.

Cheers.
Robert, VK2BNM.
All of Western Australia was supposed to be 250v, not 240 as in the Eastern States.

The 4% difference was never a problem with stuff made in Australia to the 240v standard, including light globes.

Suppliers decided it was cheaper & more profitable to stop making them & import inferior ones which would last a fifth of the time.

There was then a lot of agitation that the 250v supply was "killing light globes", so at great expense, the voltage was reduced to 240v.
The cruddy imported light globes still had terrible longevity!
Closed Thread