UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc

Notices

Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc Standards converters, modulators anything else for providing signals to vintage televisions.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Jul 2006, 9:08 pm   #21
oldeurope
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Auroras back in stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppppenguin
It's amazing how many folks have talked about buying more than 1. Some want to re-create the authentic BBC/ITV experience, others for different areas in the house. For the most valuable sets it's just about plausible to have 1 per set.
Good evening,
I'll buy one when I've found a nice 819 set.
For 405/441 I have my analogue solutions and they are small enough.
I think it is a good idea to put an aurora in a nice cabinet with power supply replacing the dip switches by switches on the front panel and adding some additional features.

Darryl, only for interest.
How many are 819 and which modulator standard?
What about 441?

Kind regards,
Darius
Old 12th Jul 2006, 9:21 pm   #22
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

All information is on the website. You can also download the full manual.

http://www.auroravideosys.com/converter/

The Aurora is available in the following versions:

SCRF441NM: NTSC(525) -> 441/30 with all System M (1946) and System M (1940) channels
SCRF343M: NTSC(525) -> 343/30 with all System M (1937) and System M (1934) channels
SCRF343A: NTSC(525) -> 343/30 with all System A channels
SCRF405A: PAL(625) -> 405/25 with all System A channels
SCRF441PE: PAL(625) -> 441/25 with System E channel 1
SCRF455E: PAL(625) -> 455/25 with System E channel 1
SCRF819E: PAL(625) -> 819/25 with all System E* channels
SCRF819F: PAL(625) -> 819/25 with all System F and System E* channels
SCRF819L: PAL(625) -> 819/25 with all System L and System E* channels

*Note: The SCRF819E model has full video bandwidth while the SCRF819F and SCRF819L models
have reduced video bandwidth in System E.

There are very few hardware differences between them (3 or 4 passives at most?). The main difference is the code for the Xilinx which can easily be changed with some free software and a fairly simple probe connected to a PC parallel port.

Out of curiosity, how many have been sold that are NOT 405?
Old 12th Jul 2006, 9:24 pm   #23
tubesrule
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldeurope
Good evening,
Darryl, only for interest.
How many are 819 and which modulator standard?
What about 441?

Kind regards,
Darius
Hi Darius,
I think your asking what type each of the 50 units have been? If so, the majority have been 405A units, even when shipped to other regions of the world like North America. There have been quite a few 819E units, and two 819L. There have only been singles of the 441E, 455E and 343M units built.

I recently obtained my first 819 television, a Sharp TRP801 819/dual standard set. Up until now I've been testing using a pre-war, mains derived EHT set that could handle anything from 240 to 819.

Darryl
Old 13th Jul 2006, 7:12 am   #24
oldeurope
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubesrule
Hi Darius,
I think your asking what type each of the 50 units have been? If so, the majority have been 405A units, even when shipped to other regions of the world like North America. There have been quite a few 819E units, and two 819L. There have only been singles of the 441E, 455E and 343M units built.

I recently obtained my first 819 television, a Sharp TRP801 819/dual standard set. Up until now I've been testing using a pre-war, mains derived EHT set that could handle anything from 240 to 819.

Darryl
Thanks Darryl,
this is what I wanted to know. Pre-war is before ww2? Does it have static deflection?
It seems there is very low interest in vintage TV in france.

Darius
Old 13th Jul 2006, 1:47 pm   #25
tubesrule
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldeurope
Thanks Darryl,
this is what I wanted to know. Pre-war is before ww2? Does it have static deflection?
It seems there is very low interest in vintage TV in france.

Darius
Hi Darius,
Yes, pre-war reffers to WW2. The set I've been using is a protoype set from 1936. It uses magnetic deflection, but has extremely wide band scanning oscilators.
The UK and US appear to have the most interetst in vintage televisions, with France, Italy and Germany also showing interest.

Darryl
Old 19th Jul 2006, 5:37 pm   #26
jay_oldstuff
Octode

Whell my Aurora arrived today, about two weeks after ordering so very happy with that also only about £4 to pay the blood sucking vulchers, sorry customs what does anoy me is the pot look on the handeling fee i got stung about £13 quid. as for the Aurora itself i am over the moon, this thing is fantastic prevoisely i have been using a 405 line vhs tape and a modulator i cobbled together out of a coupple of old signal genaraters
thanks again for such an excelient product

Jay
Old 19th Jul 2006, 5:44 pm   #27
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Jay, your £17 VAT/handling total may well be the lowest yet for an Aurora. None of us like the blood suckers (HMCE and ParcelFarce) but it's just one of the hazards of trading outside the EU.
Old 26th Jul 2006, 7:12 pm   #28
Mikeymushradio
Rest in Peace

Hi all, My Aurora arrived last friday and have only just got round to trying it and it is excellent (three weeks delivery and £18.40 to pay) but worth every penny !!.How so much technology can be squeezed into such a small box is amazing, i have one of oldeurope's (Darius) first generation converters and it works extremely well,and i understand the later ones are even better !!
I would like to thank all who have helped with converters and modulators for our hobby, without whom we would still be struggling to obtain anything to watch on our beloved old sets. There must have been countless hours spent on development work all largely unpaid ........... once again many thanks to all of you .
Mike
Old 29th Jul 2006, 3:05 pm   #29
tubesrule
Hexode

I just finished another run of units. Here's a picture of "final assembly" on my kitchen table

Darryl
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	final_assy.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	4728  
Old 29th Jul 2006, 4:06 pm   #30
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

I see you decided to make 50 this time. One person I spoke to recently suggested it should have been 100!
Old 29th Jul 2006, 7:07 pm   #31
tubesrule
Hexode

100! Not if my neck and back have anything to say about it This was definitely towards the limit of being easily manigable, but once you get rolling, it moves along pretty well.

Darryl
Old 18th Aug 2006, 6:10 pm   #32
rob77
Tetrode

Hi to all

I thought i would come on and say a BIG WELL DONE to Daryl. This little convertor gives great results!! Anyone who is thinking of ordering one should do so without hesitation. I have been using it on my TV22 and the pictures are fantastic, I have been enjoying Doctor Who all afternoon with no problems. I will be ordering more!! Please forgive the poor pictures but it sort of shows the quality!!

Many thanks Daryl.

Rob
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P8270007.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	5028   Click image for larger version

Name:	P8270015.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	5029  
Old 19th Aug 2006, 7:29 am   #33
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

rob77 very much echos my own thoughts when I reviewed the converter. Clearly in a formal review I have to take an objective stance and dig out any weaknesses even if they are minor but yes, it's a fantastic little product.

The most interesting point he makes is the possibility of buying multiple units. At the £150 price point it seems that this is now a realistic option for some enthusiasts. Maybe my quip about 100 wasn't so daft.
Old 29th Aug 2006, 7:28 pm   #34
sabaman
Pentode

Hi All,

I thought I had to add some comments of appreciation regarding this amazing box of tricks. My Aurora arrived a week ago; I was very keen to try it out. When you open the package , it's hard to believe that the tiny black box enclosed is capable of so much. Connected it up to my Sony 9-90UB and through all the fizzing and popping (that's the Sony - not the Aurora!) was brilliant 405 line VHF TV! Who knows when the Sony was last used in working 405 line mode...
I actually purchased it for a larger dual standard set incorporated in a radiogram which hopefully is not far away from being repaired now - then I'll have the choice of 405 or 625 reception - depending how nostalgic I feel.
It all made me think - I for one find old/vintage electronics far more interesting than the new stuff, but it shouldn't be forgotten that the latest technology helps keep the old stuff alive. Anywho... I echo those who thank Darryl and all those involved in the production of the Aurora.

Sabaman.
Old 29th Aug 2006, 7:56 pm   #35
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

Hear hear
Old 30th Aug 2006, 1:28 pm   #36
tubesrule
Hexode

Thanks to all for the feedback, and compliments! Of course suggestions for changes or additions are always welcome as well. Some of the best features of these converters came directly out of requests from users. I recently received an actual specification for the 441/25i standard from a user in Germany, so I am finally able to tweak my values to match the spec exactly. This kind of feedback has been invaluable!

Thanks to all,
Darryl
Old 30th Aug 2006, 3:04 pm   #37
oldeurope
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubesrule View Post
... I recently received an actual specification for the 441/25i standard from a user in Germany, so I am finally able to tweak my values to match the spec exactly. This kind of feedback has been invaluable!

Thanks to all,
Darryl
Hi Darryl,
would you share this information with us?

Kind regards,
Darius
Old 30th Aug 2006, 4:06 pm   #38
tubesrule
Hexode

Hi Darius,
Here's the timing diagram for the 441/25i. If anyone wants the full document, let me know and I will email to them as it is rather large.

Darryl
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Norm 441.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	5176  
Old 30th Aug 2006, 4:15 pm   #39
oldeurope
Retired Dormant Member

Smile Re: Auroras back in stock

Thanks, very kind of you.
I sent you a PM.

Kind regards,
Darius
Old 31st Aug 2006, 7:38 am   #40
oldeurope
Retired Dormant Member

Very interesting, so the french 819 V-sync is a german 441 development.

Kind regards,
Darius
Closed Thread