UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Feb 2020, 12:53 pm   #1
audiomagpie
Heptode

Default Audiojumble Sun 16th Feb

The Audiojumble at Tonbridge, Kent, is coming up soon, see http://www.audiojumble.co.uk for location, times and prices. Two halls packed with stalls full of hifi and audio equipment, vinyl (new and used), spares and accessories, ample free parking, refreshments served throughout the day.

And the BVWS will be there as usual with our stall overflowing with vintage audio equipment, reel to reels, turntables, tuners, speakers, amps, radios, test equipment, valves, a selection of new capacitors to restore your vintage gear and of course cans of De-oxit at well below Ebay prices..

Come and see us at our stand in the main hall - look for the big RetrotechUK poster!
It's always a grand day out!

BVWS committee chairman
Old 6th Feb 2020, 12:25 pm   #2
Trifocaltrev
Hexode

Default Re: Audiojumble Sun 16th Feb

Hi Greg,
Phil Taylor and I look forward to seeing you there.
Old 6th Feb 2020, 5:57 pm   #3
reelguy
Heptode

Travel News this morning mentioned that the A21 Road will be closed between Sevenoaks and Tonbridge FROM the 14th February. So you may need to check alternative route.
Hopefully I heard it right ? . Worth checking before you set off .
Always an interesting day out.
Peter W Reelguy.
Old 6th Feb 2020, 9:38 pm   #4
Dickie
Octode

It's true:

https://highwaysengland.co.uk/works/...or-farm-subway

The traffic is going to be horrible.

Richard, BVWS member
Old 7th Feb 2020, 1:41 am   #5
murphymad
Heptode

The BVWS has now managed to replenish the stocks of F&T dual high voltage Electrolytic capacitors in the 35mm diameter cans in 8+8, 16+16, 16+32, 32+32, 50+50 and 100+100 micro Farad values.

These and the full range of 630v Polypropylene Capacitors plus cans of DeOxit D5 will be available on the BVWS table.

Come and say hello, we don't bite.

Mike...
Old 13th Feb 2020, 9:26 am   #6
audiomagpie
Heptode

Audiojumble tweet re proposed road closure:

"Please note that the A21 will be shut in both directions between Sevenoaks and Tonbridge on Sunday. If you are travelling this way to the Audiojumble then you will need to follow a diversion through Hildenborough. This is actually a more direct route, but please allow extra time"

Hope this is helpful. Come and say hello to us on the BVWS stall!

BVWS committee chairman
Old 13th Feb 2020, 10:44 pm   #7
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

Overnight bus to London tomorrow, party Saturday night then train to Audiojumble on Sunday...if I get up in time.
Old 15th Feb 2020, 7:10 am   #8
Viewmaster
Hexode

Watch out for Dennis !
Old 15th Feb 2020, 6:25 pm   #9
bikerhifinut
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viewmaster View Post
Watch out for Dennis !
And That's why I cancelled my hotel room this morning.
As I write this we are getting Biblical rain and the river in the valley is already up to its banks.
Afraid I bottled it as the weather plot showed I would be driving 330 miles right through the lot as the first wave travels SE, and I figured it was probably suicidal.
Be careful anyone who isn't familiar with the location, the Sainsbury's car park which is also the angel car park is very close to the Medway and prone to flooding.
There's always October.

A.
Old 17th Feb 2020, 12:53 am   #10
Trifocaltrev
Hexode

Many thanks to Richard, Michael & Catherine Howes for all the hard work they put in organising this event.

Myself and Phil Taylor enjoyed the day as I am sure most other attendees did.

We are both looking forward to the November event already!

Trevor.
Old 17th Feb 2020, 10:12 am   #11
GrimJosef
Dekatron

Yes, it was a great day out, as always. The weather put a few off I think, but the more-or-less stalwart who made it had a good time, despite risking a drenching each time we took something to or from the car. Fortunately the Medway hadn't risen nearly as much as I'd feared.

Cheers,

GJ
Old 17th Feb 2020, 4:36 pm   #12
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerhifinut View Post
Quote:
Watch out for Dennis !
As I write this we are getting Biblical rain and the river in the valley is already up to its banks.
Afraid I bottled it as the weather plot showed I would be driving 330 miles right through the lot as the first wave travels SE, and I figured it was probably suicidal.
Be careful anyone who isn't familiar with the location, the Sainsbury's car park which is also the angel car park is very close to the Medway and prone to flooding.
There's always October.

A.
Bottled it, too, and in the circumstances I'm not sorry. Might have made it there but almost certainly not back. Till November, then...
Old 17th Feb 2020, 4:58 pm   #13
bikerhifinut
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Kendall View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerhifinut View Post
Quote:
Watch out for Dennis !
There's always October.

A.
Bottled it, too, and in the circumstances I'm not sorry. Might have made it there but almost certainly not back. Till November, then...
I had a walk down to the bridge over the Eden at the foot of the village, Road closed and I estimated 2 to 3 feet deep water on the road just by the traffic lights, it's dropped a bit now but there's lot of h20 stillto run off the pennines and the eastern Lakeland mountains which feed the river system. But we're are lucky here as both villages each side of the river haave no housing on or near the flood plain.
Hope its been ok for you Ted, I know Kington and it looks to have the right geography to cause severe issues if you get massive downpours. Looks like the SW and S wales bore the brunt of this one, I think we were relatively fortunate, roads will drain in time, but theres a few bridges likely to be temporarily closed while engineers check them.
A
Old 18th Feb 2020, 1:22 am   #14
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

We live on a hill a few miles out of Kington, so we haven't been flooded ourselves, but I haven't ventured out yet. Past experience suggests that Kington may be accessible, but practically all the roads from Kington to anywhere further afield have flood closures. Hereford, where young son goes to college (not this week, fortunately) is seriously flooded, as you can see on the news.
Old 18th Feb 2020, 10:32 am   #15
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

I went and ended up with a jolly heavy power supply.

Not being a collector desperate for something specific I didn't arrive at the crack of opening, but I did make the effort to head over despite Saturday's party finishing at 5a.m. I was pretty disappointed to find that by 2.00 the second hall was empty and half the stallholders in the main hall had already packed most things away.

Arriving about 12.30 it felt a real rush to see anything let alone talk about the interesting stuff and peruse items for sale.

My vote is on making it a requirement for a paid event for the stallholders to stay until the end. A noontide entry of £6 should entitle one to more than a sprint round the circuit, or the entry should be free later on.

I heard some grumbles about footfall because of Old Dennis, which was unfortunate. The coach up from Cornwall was not affected, but getting the train back from Tonbridge to London involved a delay of 3 hours because of a landslip.
Old 18th Feb 2020, 11:08 am   #16
GrimJosef
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bulgaria View Post
... My vote is on making it a requirement for a paid event for the stallholders to stay until the end. A noontide entry of £6 should entitle one to more than a sprint round the circuit, or the entry should be free later on ...
I know organisers always encourage stallholders to stay to the end. But the obvious question is what sanction you'd employ in the event of people packing up early ? Those faced with a Sunday evening trip back to Yorkshire (or further) and most of the items on their stall gone will be very tempted. And in the end it's a trade-off. A lot of attention gets paid to buyer footfall - a sale won't be successful if buyers can't be tempted in. But it also won't be successful if sellers are put off. Most of them were there, 5 a.m. parties or not (I was out of bed and getting ready for the road before your party was over ) and were heaving heavy stuff through the rain and gloom before 8 a.m. It's a tough old day for them too.

Cheers,

GJ
Old 18th Feb 2020, 11:41 am   #17
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Quote:
I was pretty disappointed to find that by 2.00 the second hall was empty and half the stallholders in the main hall had already packed most things away.
I think a lot of this was down to Dennis - I went to the last one, turned up around 2.00 pm (karting at Buckmore in the morning - young son, not me) and had a good 85% of the stalls to look at. Did all right, too - tail-ending is a variable feast, of course, but an open mind and the understandable reluctance of stallholders to drag too much home can work in your favour.

In the circumstances, most of 'em deserve a medal for turning up at all...
Old 18th Feb 2020, 11:44 am   #18
Dickie
Octode

Interestingly The Retrotech (was NVCF) fair has this condition on their booking form:

6. Packing up: As the fair is a public event with advertised opening hours (10.30am to 4pm)stallholders are not permitted to pack up and leave before 4pm!!

Richard, BVWS member
Old 18th Feb 2020, 11:54 am   #19
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

I was just surprised, as this wasn't mentioned on the Audiojumble website. Anyone reading that would have no way of knowing that arriving around noon could prove disappointing. Apart from knowing when it starts from the 8a.m. high ticket price entry, there's no intimation that it's not available through the day as a general attraction.

At other similar expos (model engineering, model railway exhibitions and the like) I'd be very surprised to see a lack of stalls around teatime. Perhaps it starts too early! As a general punter of varying interests, a Sunday afternoon jaunt has more appeal than starting out from Cornwall the night before in order to arrive in Kent by early morning.

At least I got my De-Oxit and saw some very fine Ferrographs.

My own impression of the clientele was overwhelmingly older men - perhaps a rethink of the way it's arranged could encourage a younger crowd into the hobby, especially as there were a lot of records on offer. My girlfriend and twenty-something brother had a good time with that side, but it was still a rush to get round.

The Millennial Pound must be worth something!
Old 18th Feb 2020, 12:22 pm   #20
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Quote:
I was just surprised, as this wasn't mentioned on the Audiojumble website.
Well obviously Dennis wasn't. As far as I'm concerned that was the primary cause. Force majeure is inherently unpredictable.
Closed Thread