UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Apr 2016, 8:56 am   #41
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Battered AC34

Take care not to breathe dust from cutting/drilling/routing MDF.

You can always stick a thermometer into the top of the cabinet and see whether there is a worrying amount of hot air building up. If there isn't then the back ventilation is OK.

Safety testing for finished products involves checking that a brass jointed replica of an adult's finger and a child sized one can't reach in enough to touch anything regrettable. While you're not going to go this far in testing, it's a sensible benchmark.

David
Old 4th Apr 2016, 10:11 am   #42
turretslug
Dekatron

Quite a lot of hardboard-back radios seemed to have a long, half-inch or so scallop along the top edge as well as the holes- I imagine this would have helped convection quite well, maybe in some cases it was an easy-at-production afterthought as I wouldn't be surprised if the original typically small, rough-edged holes weren't that good for airflow. Probably proof against most things short of a determinedly self-destructive child with a wire coat-hanger, too, though it might fall short of modern requirements.
Old 4th Apr 2016, 1:40 pm   #43
Oldelectronics
Heptode

Hi Mark Thanks for that it would just be to cover the back for safety but without causing overheating if I can get the set to work. These sets seem fairly common so there must be a back out there somewhere. Turretslugs comment is a fair point as there is nothing in reach of fingers in the top half of the cabinet ( I have disconnected and removed the extension speaker wiring but have left the switch in place) So a row of larger holes may take the place of the scallops he mentions also with a proper mains transformer there is hopefully nothing in easy reach that carry's mains. So perhaps as David suggests checking with a thermometer is the way to go? I am loath to spend a lot of time on the back panel as these sets seem cheaply obtainable with a back panel there is one on e bay at the moment for a fiver which may of course go up but collectable from Derbyshire. My problem is I know I wouldn't break it!! The one I am working on at present was bought for £6 for parts! And if patent enough I am sure a cover will turn up or one attached to a complete wreck without having to break a potently viable set.

Last edited by Oldelectronics; 4th Apr 2016 at 1:48 pm.
Old 5th Apr 2016, 10:03 am   #44
Oldelectronics
Heptode

All Finished now apart from the missing back panel which I unless I come upon one I will make a temporary one from peg board Set woken up recapped and fitted back in the cabinet and is currently soak testing on Gold I am pleased I didn't scrap it for spares I know its not as original as filler not veneer was used but I am happy with it and its odd historical 'war wound!'
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AC34 001.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	122371   Click image for larger version

Name:	AC34 004.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	122372   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cabinet AC34 finished less back panel 002.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	122373   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cabinet AC34 finished less back panel 003.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	122374  
Old 5th Apr 2016, 11:28 am   #45
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Nice work. It looks very presentable, and I bet it sounds good with its big Celestion speaker.

With one or two exceptions, you can't beat Bush sets for build quality and ease of servicing.

Nick.
Old 5th Apr 2016, 2:29 pm   #46
Sideband
Dekatron

Nothing wrong with that... very presentable. Well done!
Old 5th Apr 2016, 5:34 pm   #47
Oldelectronics
Heptode

Thanks Guys I do though Like Bush sets and have bought an AC31 for my next project and hopefully It will be ok. Time to start looking for a biggish shed as these radios are addictive!
And were especially in winter when little can be done outside.

Last edited by Oldelectronics; 5th Apr 2016 at 5:40 pm.
Old 6th Apr 2016, 10:53 pm   #48
turretslug
Dekatron

That's turned out really well, inside and out- a rescued and attractive looking case, and a revitalised chassis you could eat the proverbial dinner off.

And you're certainly not alone in acquiring a set as a scrapper, and then not having the heart to break it! I reckon that's probably a substantial part of the reason for the growth of many collections.
Old 6th Apr 2016, 11:24 pm   #49
Oldelectronics
Heptode

Thank you for the kind comments I am glad I am not the only one who doesn't have the heart to break a possibly viable set! I was beginning to worry I really must get a shed now!!

Kev
Old 7th Apr 2016, 9:42 am   #50
mark pirate
Dekatron

Quote:
I am glad I am not the only one who doesn't have the heart to break a possibly viable set! I was beginning to worry I really must get a shed now!!
It certainly can be an addictive hobby, even worse if like me you get into vintage TV

I agree that Bush built things that were well engineered and perform well, Nearly half of my collection are Bush products, with Pye comming a close second.

If you do get yourself a shed, make sure it is damp proofed and well insulated.

Mark
Old 7th Apr 2016, 12:17 pm   #51
Oldelectronics
Heptode

That if I get one I definitely will do Mark having seen the ravages of damp on the bottom of my last AC34 plus of course damage to chassis and components.

regards

Kev
Closed Thread