UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 31st Jan 2020, 8:21 pm   #1
McMurdo
Dekatron

Default Colouring and shading of veneers

A few radios in the 30's, particularly, had veneers decoratively banded, maybe in contrasting woods or grains, which appear to stand out in the literature of the day, whether a drawing or photograph.

I have a few sets where this effect seems to have disappeared under the original brown-coloured lacquer.

Has the lacquer darkened with age to obscure the effect? Or were the period pictures just a bit of optimistic marketing? I'm thinking of the stunning brochures in the Murphy portfolio on David Grant's website.

How would I best re-finish a cabinet to bring out these different veneers..as I like to see them? I know it's possible as I've seen plenty of restored cabinets
Old 1st Feb 2020, 9:52 am   #2
peter_scott
Dekatron

Default Re: Colouring and shading of veneers

For French polished cabinets I have found that applying linseed oil restores faded colourings. It does appear sticky initially but after a few days it hardens nicely. Unlike French polishing it requires no skill to apply it. It also conceals many small imperfections.

Peter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1070426a (Small).jpg
Views:	148
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	198129  

Last edited by peter_scott; 1st Feb 2020 at 9:57 am.
Old 1st Feb 2020, 10:02 am   #3
vidjoman
Dekatron

I believe that should be 'boiled' linseed oil as the plain oil will remain tacky for a long time. The boiled oil is available from most hardware shops/paint suppliers and is used in the manufacture of some paints and varnishes.
Old 1st Feb 2020, 4:14 pm   #4

Unfortunately it seems to remove the picture too (grin).

Old 2nd Feb 2020, 11:32 am   #5
steve102
Pentode

I think the original varnish/lacquer turns opaque with age and this obscures the wood grain. I've had good results using Danish oil after stripping off the old lacquer. The Danish oil dries quickly you can build it up in layers to produce a nice sheen. I've attached before/after pictures of my HMV 655 cabinet.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0522.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	198203   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1106a.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	198204  
Old 3rd Feb 2020, 10:02 pm   #6
McMurdo
Dekatron

those are the effects I'm after
Old 3rd Feb 2020, 11:16 pm   #7
ajgriff
Nonode

Whatever you decide to use for the final finish the only way to get to the sort of pleasing result Steve has pictured is by stripping the old finish in the first instance. Much care needed along the way but well worth it in my view. However, some people don't like the 'as new look' and prefer a cabinet to show a bit more of its history ie, patina (grime), bumps, bruises, scratches, water stains etc.

Alan
Old 4th Feb 2020, 12:46 am   #8
McMurdo
Dekatron

stripping is always a last resort for me for the reason you gave, Alan. However I think some sets are so beautifully grained and figured that it's a shame to hide it under sludgy brown lacquer, fag burns, worm holes, paint spatters and lumps of missing veneer. There's a fine line between a well-loved set and one that's been abused!