UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 31st Jan 2020, 12:52 am   #1
Terry_VK5TM
Nonode

Default Interesting wire feed device

While browsing the American Radio History site at the new additions, I came across this in the Philips Miniwatt Digest (available here https://www.americanradiohistory.com...-Digest-AU.htm)

It is an attachment meant for the Philips supplied reels of enamelled copper wire (of the early 1960's) to feed it out at (according to the article) "unlimited speed" and "it doesn't overrun on sudden stops".

What gets me about many of this style of publications in the 60's, is that enough information is often presented that would enable anyone to build many of the items themselves from scratch.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Wire feed.pdf (517.9 KB, 165 views)
Old 31st Jan 2020, 10:41 am   #2
ChristianFletcher
Heptode

Default Re: Interesting wire feed device

Thanks I will have to try that arangment. I assume the twist put into the wire as it is unwound must not cause a problem on the transformer winding.

Chris
Old 31st Jan 2020, 11:37 am   #3
Radio Wrangler

It seems to be for the finer gauges only, so maybe the twist from feeding off the end of the reel is the limitation? There will certainly be a lot less momentum than having the reel turning. I'd be more cautious using old wire where the enamel may have hardened.

David
Old 1st Feb 2020, 2:33 am   #4
Terry_VK5TM
Nonode

Only thing to watch is that the end of the reel of wire is smooth and has no catches, otherwise, it is not going to work at all.

Not sure if the twist in the wire will be problematic or not.
Old 1st Feb 2020, 3:17 am   #5
joebog1
Banned

This is exactly how the wire feed on my nearly 100 year old Glow winding machine works.
Terry's comment about nicks in the reel definitely matters!! The twist in the wire is "removed" by the grain breaking pulleys. I use this setup for guages up to about 1.5mm or 16 SWG. The torque required to "straighten" the wire in larger guages has the clutch smoking.

Joe
Old 1st Feb 2020, 10:57 am   #6
Herald1360
Dekatron

Given the circumference of the reel, it won't be a very tight twist, about one twist per foot length which doesn't sound like much on a fine gauge wire.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 1st Feb 2020, 9:27 pm   #7
kalee20
Dekatron

Taking wire off a bobbin flange is fairly common in the industry. But yes it does require that the end cheeks don't have any damage or roughness.

The twist in the wire is not a problem, certainly up to at least 2mm. Unless it's squares-section winding wire, of course.
Old 1st Feb 2020, 10:29 pm   #8
high_vacuum_house
Octode

I expect they pinched the idea from the knitting/sewing industry which uses similar tapered bobbins for unwinding !!

Christopher Capener