UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 29th May 2020, 12:14 am   #21
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Quad ESL 57 Dummy load

Quote:
Originally Posted by rontech View Post
I seem to recall that QUAD used to state that their amplifiers were unconditionally stable into any load.
They had to be! the range of impedance their electrostatic speaker wandered over across the audible range is really quite an obstacle course.

But ANY load? I wouldn't put anything expensive ner an intermittent load with a bad connection or sparking. It fits under the 'Any' banner, but would cause fatalities in many amplifiers.

David
Old 29th May 2020, 5:32 am   #22
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

I use 8 of those Arcol resistors - 2r - on an old welder tunnel HS with a fan on for loads of 200w or so, mine is in stereo DL and has, two 4mm banana jacks as OP, with 3 more so I can use a jumper bar to select speaker/DL, + also 3 BNC's per channel + 10:1 attenuator.

All you need for a simple is a suitable beefy HS, two banana jacks for OP, a drill and 8 self tappers to make a mono dummy load. I then made up two suitable beefy leads for testing.

The OP power for a Quad 2 is given as 20w if certain changes are made, so that's 12.5v RMS approx.

Andy.
Old 29th May 2020, 11:33 am   #23
Herald1360
Dekatron

12.5V rms into 8R. Into 15R it'll be around 17.5V rms.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 29th May 2020, 1:39 pm   #24
Bufo Bill
Heptode

Thanks for the info guys.

Andy, that sounds like a great device, very ingenious of you.

Cheers from Bill.
Old 29th May 2020, 10:52 pm   #25
audiomm
Pentode

For what it's worth, I have a dummy load set up which is built into my workbench. Uses 4 x 8 Ohm resistors each rated at 300watts so probably a bit overkill for most domestic amplifiers I get to fix
The resistors are wire into a switching set up which allows me to select 8 or 16 ohms (I was also going to incorporate 4 ohms as well but haven't got 'a round tuit' yet), plus switching from load to spkrs and also a set of BNC's so I can also monitor on 'scope regardless. I made this about 25 years ago and it has been through 3 house shifts and 3 purpose built benches.When not in use I repurposed the cut out from benchtop as a cover. Methinks it might need tarting up a bit now as it has been well raced & rallied over that time.
Pix are below.
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2559.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	207177   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2560.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	207178   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2561.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	207179   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2562.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	207180   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2563.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	207181  

Old 29th May 2020, 10:55 pm   #26
Bufo Bill
Heptode

Great set up Mike, congrats! I really like seeing the things you guys come up with!
Cheers from Bill.
Old 29th May 2020, 11:34 pm   #27
Radio Wrangler

Some classic stuff there. 180 scope family (tunnel diodes and all) 8601A sweeper, and that little LCR bridge with the phase detector to tell you which way to crank the handle to find the null. TMS500 as well.

Nice!

David
Old 29th May 2020, 11:41 pm   #28
Bufo Bill
Heptode

I've got a 180A on my list of repair projects. Will definitely need some help with that one!
Cheers from Bill.
Old 30th May 2020, 12:45 am   #29
audiomm
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
Some classic stuff there. 180 scope family (tunnel diodes and all) 8601A sweeper, and that little LCR bridge with the phase detector to tell you which way to crank the handle to find the null. TMS500 as well.

Nice!

David
Thanks David. Yup - I like that era HP & Tek stuff - very reliable, well built and easy to use. Being a typical Yorkshireman (short arms & deep pockets) I didn't pay much(if anything) for any of that gear -I somehow seemed to be on the receiving end of 'donor's from friends who were upgrading. The dummy load gizmo came together from bits & bobs out of what was lying around. Thinking about it now I would say the materials for the benches I have built would easily cover the cost of what sits on them.
Mike
Old 30th May 2020, 11:01 am   #30
rontech
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rontech View Post
I seem to recall that QUAD used to state that their amplifiers were unconditionally stable into any load.
They had to be! the range of impedance their electrostatic speaker wandered over across the audible range is really quite an obstacle course.

But ANY load? I wouldn't put anything expensive ner an intermittent load with a bad connection or sparking. It fits under the 'Any' banner, but would cause fatalities in many amplifiers.

David

I quite agree!