UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 31st May 2007, 10:41 pm   #1
liamoliver
Retired Dormant Member

Default Harpenden

Somehow, I don't actually know the address of the Harpenden swapmeet. Could anyone tell me it, and also how to get there by train?
Old 31st May 2007, 10:46 pm   #2
evingar
Octode

Default Re: Harpenden

http://www.bvws.org.uk/events/locations.htm

Quote:
Harpenden
Harpenden Public Halls, Southdown Road, Harpenden
Doors open at 10:00, tickets on sale from 9:30. Auction starts at 1:30
Contact Jeremy Day, 01582 576124
Email harpenden (at) bvws.org.uk
Harpenden is served by the A1081 (St Albans Road). From the M1 turn off at Junction 9 onto the A5183 Follow this until you come to a roundabout (about 2 miles) and take the first exit (left) onto the B487. Follow this road until you come to a mini roundabout (about 1 ½ miles) and take the first exit (left) off the roundabout, a short distance from this will be a further roundabout. Take the last exit (right). A few yards down this road take the first left turning. This is Southdown Road/Arden Grove. The hall is right at the end of this turning. Parking is to the front and rear of the hall via Arden Grove and surrounding side roads. There are also a small number of disabled parking bays at the front of the hall.

WRT Train, sorry no idea.
Old 31st May 2007, 11:15 pm   #3
joe
Rest in Peace

Liam,

I found out about trains the last time that the medics told me not to drive.

From Kings Cross take a train towards Luton Airport or Bedford making sure from the indicators that it does stop at Harpenden - not all of them do! Try www.nationalrail.co.uk

How you get to Kings Cross depends on exactly where you live, but assuming that you can get to, say Harrow on the Hill you can get the Metropolitan line to Kings Cross.

When you leave Harpenden station follow the road generally downhill till you get to the main road; turn left & the halls are a short way along. Total time from the station is about 4 or 5 minutes.

Failing all else just ask anyone carrying a 1930s "Woodie" where to go.

Good luck, Joe
Old 1st Jun 2007, 12:25 am   #4
Alvin
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe View Post
From Kings Cross take a train towards Luton Airport or Bedford making sure from the indicators that it does stop at Harpenden - not all of them do!
Note that the trains run from the small Kings Cross Thameslink station a few minutes walk from the mainline Kings Cross station.

Liam I'm aiming to get the 0910 from West Hampstead Thameslink and as you found your way here the other day you could join me on that.........

Alvin
Old 1st Jun 2007, 7:28 am   #5
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

The timetable you need is here. Check for engineering works!

http://www.firstcapitalconnect.co.uk...edford_sun.pdf

If you are starting from anywhere on the Metropolitan line then West Hampstead is probably your best bet.

There may be a route from Harrow and Wealdstone with a change at Watford but you would have to research that for yourself.

PS: The BVWS website needs updating. Jeremy Day no longer organises Harpenden.
Old 1st Jun 2007, 3:05 pm   #6
Tom_I
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe View Post
When you leave Harpenden station follow the road generally downhill till you get to the main road; turn left & the halls are a short way along. Total time from the station is about 4 or 5 minutes.
No need to go all the way to the main road. Turn left down the footpath next to the Harpenden Arms (just after the zebra crossing), and you will be at the front door of the Public Halls.

Tom
Closed Thread