UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Aug 2013, 11:57 am   #1
jim_jobe
Heptode

Default Toko rf catalogue (cirkit)

Cirkit were selling a Toko RF Catalogue in 1994 which contained more information on Toko coils than was in the Cirkit catalogue itself. Does anyone have a copy of this please? I need some info on a Toko coil's applications which isn't in the straight Cirkit catalogue.
Old 3rd Sep 2013, 11:19 pm   #2
Biggles
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Toko rf catalogue (cirkit)

Hi Jim, I have a Toko catalogue from about 1991 which may contain the info you are after. I also have the Toko filter catalogue which covers ceramic types from that era. If you need info on a particular component I could send you a copy.
Alan.
Old 3rd Sep 2013, 11:21 pm   #3
space charge
Tetrode

I have some ambit catalogues not complete. What coil do you need info on.
regards Pierce ei7ka
Old 4th Sep 2013, 6:03 pm   #4
jim_jobe
Heptode

Cheers Guys: It's the WFDC1115P/S.
Many thanks, I'll PM you my email address,
Jim
Old 4th Sep 2013, 7:19 pm   #5
Biggles
Rest in Peace

Jim, I've had a look through both catalogues and there's nothing close to that number. What type of component is it? Sometimes you can find the numbers "hidden" among longer ones in my experience, with odd prefixes etc.
Alan.
Old 5th Sep 2013, 9:12 am   #6
jim_jobe
Heptode

It's an AM 465kHz double tuned IFT (see diagrams). It can be configured using mutual inductive and/or link coupling but I have no information on how to do this,
Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	coil.jpg
Views:	1058
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	83703   Click image for larger version

Name:	coil0001.jpg
Views:	622
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	83704  
Old 5th Sep 2013, 8:20 pm   #7
Biggles
Rest in Peace

Hi Jim, I've had a look through the books again and there is no mention of that coil except in the Cirkit catalogue itself which is the same as the info you already have. There is maybe another more comprehensive catalogue available as the one I have doesn't seem to have any circuit suggestions in it. Sorry I can't be of any more help. It's a shame that most of those useful RF components and kits in the Cirkit catalogue are no longer available.
Alan.
Old 6th Sep 2013, 12:15 pm   #8
jim_jobe
Heptode

Cirkit also advertised the Toko RF Catalogue at that time which they must have produced themselves as the illustration shows it bearing the Cirkit logo. It's that I'm trying to find a copy of as it contains "much technical information" but nobody seems to have it (including Toko themselves!!!!). Many thanks for your efforts,
Jim
Old 6th Sep 2013, 6:50 pm   #9
Biggles
Rest in Peace

Hi Jim, that certainly sounds like the book I have as it has the Cirkit logo on but mine's dated 1991. I wonder if there's another version. I think I got mine through a third party company when I was in a different job in the nineties. From the pinout it looks like two separate units which have to be intercoupled. It's a bit like an NBFM detector set up, maybe with a quadrature coil in there as well.
Alan.
Old 6th Sep 2013, 10:38 pm   #10
jim_jobe
Heptode

There is. My Cirkit catalogue is from Summer 1994 and the Toko catalogue they are offering (for £2.50) is the 2nd edition.
Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	coil0002.jpg
Views:	665
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	83773  
Old 7th Sep 2013, 12:48 am   #11
Biggles
Rest in Peace

Ah..That explains it! They are very useful reference books if you tinker with home built stuff. Never throw a catalogue out, that's what I say. I wonder how many of the kits are still around half built and forgotten about.
Old 10th Sep 2013, 1:06 pm   #12
jim_jobe
Heptode

I thought I had sussed out the connections but Pierce has just sent me the required diagram and I was completely wrong! Many thanks Pierce!
Old 27th Dec 2013, 11:20 am   #13
Stefang7spg
Retired Dormant Member

Hi.

Does any one know of an equivalent or data for what Ii believe to be a Cirkit No.35-01842 coil used on an MC3359. 23cm txrx, Elektor (Sept 1992) by Tim Forrester G4WIM?
Old 27th Dec 2013, 11:25 pm   #14
jim_jobe
Heptode

Hi Stefang,
It's a TOKO 5SL0184R 5mm coil. This is a 455kHz AM 3rd.IF coil which is a smaller version of the commoner 10EZ coil, type YHCS11100. I don't have any of the 5mm coils but can let you have one of the others if you want to use it. You'll have to increase the spacing of the PCB pads to use it but this should be possible to do.
Jim
Old 27th Dec 2013, 11:26 pm   #15
Biggles
Rest in Peace

I'll check my catalogue and see if there is any info on it. What frequency is the IF running at as that will give you a clue to the type of coil it is. Usually the only coil required with an MC3359 is the quadrature coil in the FM demod circuit, tuned to the IF frequency.
Alan.
Old 28th Dec 2013, 12:15 am   #16
Biggles
Rest in Peace

I've had a look and found the coil data. It's a type 5SL0184R (equivalent but smaller version of the YHCS11100) which is a 455KHz IFT Q=77, turns between pins 1-2=137, between pins 2-3=43, between pins 1-3=180, between 4-6 (secondary) 27. Usually only the tuned primary is used with the MC3359 so it may be possible to use a 455KHz IFT from an old transistor radio and connect the tuned primary into circuit using the outer pins of the coil, ignoring the primary tap. 1-2-3 are the primary, 4-6 are the secondary connections. 1-3 are the outer connections to the primary, 2 being the tap. Hope this helps.
Alan.

You just beat me to it Jim!

Last edited by Biggles; 28th Dec 2013 at 12:16 am. Reason: duplicate info
Old 28th Dec 2013, 1:29 pm   #17
jim_jobe
Heptode

Quick draw they call me Biggles!
I've got lots of 455kHz IFTs kicking about if only the primary is needed Stefang.
Jim

PS: why "Biggles", Biggles? Are you into aviation too? (I learned to fly- gliders- at RAF Ouston, not too far from you back in 1959).
Old 28th Dec 2013, 4:10 pm   #18
Stefang7spg
Retired Dormant Member

Hi, Many thanks for the quick replies i am looking for 2 off these coils but i don't know any one who stocks them? the boards i have are pth and very tight on space, I am also looking for an equivalent for an ATF13484 gasfet? this may not be vintage but it dates back to 1992.

I am also looking for conduction cooled 4cx250's and 9 pin bases for pl504's if any one has any?

Many thanks
Stefan
G7SPG

I learned to fly in Piper Tri-Pacers and Chipmonk's
Old 28th Dec 2013, 11:30 pm   #19
jim_jobe
Heptode

Stefang,
Try contacting jabdog@blueyonder.co.uk. he might be able to help. I'll see what 5mm coils I have , if any, tomorrow.
Jim
Old 29th Dec 2013, 1:39 am   #20
Biggles
Rest in Peace

It may be worth looking inside an old cordless phone handset, the type that were in use before DECT ones came out. These sometimes have similar chips and quadrature coils in the receiver which can be removed with a bit of care. Most of the ones I have cannibalised use the 5mm coils inside to save space. (I'll check out that forum link Jim.)
Alan.
Closed Thread